12-22-2012, 10:33 PM
User Info
Hello Gentlemen,

Eshave mandarin SS is one of the better soaps in my shave den. It is a triple-milled soap with vegetable base. The eshave company claims that it is produced of 100% natural ingredients.

[Image: 285aux.jpg]

The soap comes in a classy nickel plated bowl, it is different from the rest in that regard.

[Image: 3347wwy.jpg]

Let’s get to the important point: the lather is awesome. A rich, slick and thick lather can be produced with a minimum amount of soap. With a near-10 seconds of loading, lather for 4-5 pass shave is ready. Cushion and slickness is top notch.

[Image: 2mze61l.jpg]

[Image: wus0sz.jpg]

Moisturizing properties of the soap are good, but not great. That doesn’t mean it leaves you dry, on the contrary, it moisturizes, but an after shave moisturizer is needed IMO.

The scent is a subjective quality, and I like the clean, soapy mandarin scent of this soap. It reminds me of spring, and it makes your day in cold and rainy winter mornings.

This is an almost perfect shaving soap in all departments, and I highly recommend for those ones looking for a high performance soap with a different scent.

Score: 9/10

4 365
 12-23-2012, 04:37 AM
User Info
I've been looking into this soap. I love citrus scents, and the classy minimalist presentation. The brand has some issues going on with some of their products, I think, but the soap and cream get very positive reviews.

2 362
 12-23-2012, 10:14 PM
User Info
I loved the scent of the mandarin but the soap creates a lather that is more like a cream lather. For me, it didn't provide the closeness I like from other shave soaps.

I have always found creams to provide me with more cushion but not as close and the eShave soaps are the first shave soap that acted like a cream.

0 69
 12-23-2012, 10:27 PM
User Info
(12-23-2012, 04:37 AM)sethleupagus Wrote: I've been looking into this soap. I love citrus scents, and the classy minimalist presentation. The brand has some issues going on with some of their products, I think, but the soap and cream get very positive reviews.

It has a soft and clean mandarin scent, it is easy to like.

(12-23-2012, 10:14 PM)nav Wrote: I loved the scent of the mandarin but the soap creates a lather that is more like a cream lather. For me, it didn't provide the closeness I like from other shave soaps.

I have always found creams to provide me with more cushion but not as close and the eShave soaps are the first shave soap that acted like a cream.

Your opinion sounded very interesting.. A lot of people I know are mad for creamy lather Smile I think what you say makes sense but i prefer creamy lather from a soap or a cream.

Do you think cushion effects the closeness of a shave ? I've never had such an experience with a DE... Maybe it is the case with straight razor..

4 365
 12-25-2012, 06:45 PM
User Info
(12-23-2012, 10:27 PM)staggerlee Wrote:
(12-23-2012, 04:37 AM)sethleupagus Wrote: I've been looking into this soap. I love citrus scents, and the classy minimalist presentation. The brand has some issues going on with some of their products, I think, but the soap and cream get very positive reviews.

It has a soft and clean mandarin scent, it is easy to like.

(12-23-2012, 10:14 PM)nav Wrote: I loved the scent of the mandarin but the soap creates a lather that is more like a cream lather. For me, it didn't provide the closeness I like from other shave soaps.

Your opinion sounded very interesting.. A lot of people I know are mad for creamy lather Smile I think what you say makes sense but i prefer creamy lather from a soap or a cream.

Do you think cushion effects the closeness of a shave ? I've never had such an experience with a DE... Maybe it is the case with straight razor..

It has been my experience over four years of DE shaving that the thick lather of a cream has always impacted on the closeness of my shave. I don't have one cream in my rotation for this reason. I only use shaving soaps. The eShave soap lather was thick like a cream and while is was very comfortable, it was not as close as my usual soap rotation (MWF, Speick, Mike's).

For me, the cushion:closeness ratio always increased when I used creams or the eShave soap. All other soaps I have used (40+) always provided more closeness and less cushion in comparison and this is what I prefer, due to my fairly thick stubble.

0 69
 12-25-2012, 08:04 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(12-23-2012, 10:27 PM)staggerlee Wrote: Do you think cushion effects the closeness of a shave ? I've never had such an experience with a DE... Maybe it is the case with straight razor..

Just to butt in with my 2 cents - I agree with nav on the idea that at a certain thickness, you can end up with a lather so protective that you don't get as close. If I don't use enough water, I find tha Castle Forbes does this.

On the other hand, my experience w/ soaps vs. creams has been roughly opposite of nav's, with more protective lather and comfortable shaves coming from soap. Usually. CF and Devon and Spencer being the big exceptions, thus far.

10 1,858
 12-26-2012, 12:42 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Burak , thanks a lot for your impressions of this soap.

I have only tried the lavender from this same brand , and I can tell you it can compete hand by hand with the other well regarded Made in France shaving soaps , like L'occitane Cade, Pre de Provence , Provence Sante etc , and those are big words there.

86 7,123
 12-27-2012, 12:42 PM
User Info
(12-26-2012, 12:42 AM)Teiste Wrote: Burak , thanks a lot for your impressions of this soap.

I have only tried the lavender from this same brand , and I can tell you it can compete hand by hand with the other well regarded Made in France shaving soaps , like L'occitane Cade, Pre de Provence , Provence Sante etc , and those are big words there.
I've tried only cade from your list.. Now i wonder about PdP and PS..

4 365