12-23-2012, 04:40 PM
User Info
[Image: 1223121640_zps124fe673.jpg]

Tried Mike's Natural Soaps Lemongrass & Eucalyptus shave stick today. Here are my thoughts.

First, let me say, that I'm already a Mike's fan. I have previously used Barbershop and Pine & Cedarwood.

Some people have a little trouble at first dialing in this soap in order to get a good lather.

Here is what I've discovered that's worked for me to get a luxurious protective lather every time from the stick:

1. Put hot water from the tap into a cup.
2. Soak the tip of the stick in the cup of hot water while I shower. (usually about 10 minutes.)
3. Smear the now soft soap stick tip all over my face. When I think I've smeared enough, I smear some more.
4. Build lather on my face with the brush.

This method has worked for me with every kind of hard soap in a stick that I've tried, including Mitchell's Wool Fat soap.

(Starting to build lather)

[Image: 1223121638_zpsefa6dc71.jpg]

Performance
I really like this soap because it offers a fantastic combination of protection, cushion, glide and skin care. A huge bonus for me was also the added lanolin. My skin really likes lanolin! It makes my face feel really smooth after the shave. (Soaps I've used that have lanolin include Mikes, MWF, LEA stick)
So, to sum up, Luxurious lather, great protection, great glide, great scent, great post feel. It does all this with relatively simple ingredients that I can pronounce.

Scent
Described as Lemongrass & Eucalyptus. What it smelled like to me was muted Lemonhead candy. I also detected a feint wood note in the background that was a little confusing. All in all the scent was really refreshing and it goes really well with other citrus based shave products. Because of the nice lemony scent (way different than Arko or Arlington), I was able to match up scents in my post shave routine. 4711 cologne/aftershave, and DG Vitalis (clone), went perfectly with this soap. I wasn't able to detect the Eucalyptus, so I can't comment on it. This soap really does smell like a Lemonhead candy lemon-drop, albeit muted and not quite as tart.
In short, I really like this scent.

Value
Value is really a subjective thing but I think I can quantify it if I compare it to soaps that I think offer similar performance and scent.
Another shave stick I have that is somewhat similar with which I can make a comparison is D.R. Harris Arlington. However, while quite citrusy, it doesn't contain lanolin as far as I know. The Arlington stick costs $14 for 40 grams. Mikes Lemongrass & Eucalyptus costs $8 for 2.3 ounces (65.2 grams). This means I can buy over a third more Mike's for a little over half the price of Harris' Arlington. On top of that I think Mike's performs better.
The price gets even better if you want to buy the bar and grate it into a twist up tube yourself.

Would I recommend this soap? Yes, without a doubt. Do yourself a favor and go get this soap. Mike is one artisan who knows his stuff and has gotten this formula right! I can find no negatives about this soap.

(Getting happy with the lather!)
[Image: 1223121639a_zpsa1327d3d.jpg]

Equipment used:
Vintage Blades brand Finest 2 band in 22mm
GEM 1912 single edge razor with Pell coated blade (2nd use)
Mike's Natural Soaps Lemongrass & Eucalyptus

I hope this helps someone and if you have an opinion or view about this soap I'd love to hear it.

1 283
 12-23-2012, 05:02 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Nice review! I too am a fan of Mike's and this scent.

45 3,955
 12-23-2012, 05:05 PM
User Info
(12-23-2012, 05:02 PM)tgutc Wrote: Nice review! I too am a fan of Mike's and this scent.

Thank you!

Yeah, I'm really liking Mike's soaps. The only one I could do without is the Pine and Cedarwood. Not because I don't like it, it's just because the scent, while it smells great, doesn't seem to me to be a scent I associate with cleanliness. It reminds me of my 7th grade woodshop class.

1 283
 12-23-2012, 06:29 PM
  • clk
  • Louisville, Kentucky
User Info
Great review. I have mike's in stick form, too, and never have a problem getting a great lather.

0 230
 12-23-2012, 09:03 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Excellent review. I, too, am a big fan of Mike's soap though not in stick form, which I have not tried. I have his Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper and love it.

I agree with you about the lanolin, as well. It leaves my face feeling smooth and not in the least bit dry.

2 11,211
 12-23-2012, 09:11 PM
User Info
Great review, but, ummm, you look nothing like your avatar! Tongue

Edit: love the crazy hair on the brush in the first pic.

31 7,912
 12-23-2012, 11:08 PM
User Info
Thanks SharpSpine.

Yeah, that loose hair in the brush was unintentional. These pictures were candid and not planned for. My girlfriend came in snapping her cell phone camera and I said "might as well use them for a review since this is the first time ever trying this soap."

Also, that's my less than a week old VB 2 band in 22mm. That's the 3rd hair lost so far. Love that brush. There's no splay in the picture because she caught me during a painting stroke.

Well, my avatar picture was taken like a month ago...I had longer hair and had pomade in it. It was actually a pomade review picture, hence the chinzy pose.

1 283
 12-23-2012, 11:17 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review. I am a fan of Mike's soaps and I think they are very well priced. Your comparison to the cost of a Harris stick reminded me of that.

15 762
 12-23-2012, 11:31 PM
User Info
Phenomenal soap and one of the only two that i use! The Lemongrass + Eucalyptus is my favourite of Mike's!

75 20,883
 12-24-2012, 04:49 AM
User Info
Not tried this scent but have Rose & Cedarwood(used this morning) and Lily of the Valley, and both are outstanding soaps in all steps of the way. Mike has done himself proud with these soaps.

31 4,957
 12-24-2012, 06:41 AM
User Info
I shaved with a Mike's Natural Soaps Orange/Cedarwood/Black Pepper this morning.

The results are so similar that I didn't think it worth another review post.

The only major difference was the scent. To me, it smells exactly like this:

[Image: ORANGE%20SLICES.jpg]

Orange Slice Candy.

Overall, a very good soap! I have to say, I'm not particularly crazy about this scent, though. However, scent is very subjective and the performance of this product warrants it's use.

Another winner.

1 283
 12-24-2012, 11:49 AM
  • clk
  • Louisville, Kentucky
User Info
Let he who has had a bad experience with any of Mike's soaps speak now or forever hold their peace!Smile

0 230
 12-24-2012, 05:03 PM
  • GWO
  • rural WA
User Info
Just tried the Barbershop today. Really nice. Plan on getting more to try.

0 27
 12-24-2012, 05:40 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Lance, nice review. I will have to give one of those sticks a try.

173 23,490
 12-26-2012, 05:06 PM
User Info
Very nice review Lance. I've got a Mike's stick in my den that I haven't tried yet. I'm going to have to test it out when I get back home.

0 54
 12-27-2012, 08:08 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Thanks Lance, I MUST order some MIKES!

2 334
 12-27-2012, 09:14 AM
User Info
I'll give you the Orange, Cedarwood, and Black Pepper when you visit.

1 283
 12-27-2012, 09:54 PM
User Info
Tried the Lime today. Fanstastic shave.

Lather was a bit thin on the third pass so I hit the brush with a little bit of smashed Arko I had in a bowl to thicken it up.

I must say that Mike's Lime and Arko's Lemony citronella go exquisitely well together. I'm going to have to do that more often as they compliment each other in lather and skin care

1 283
 12-28-2012, 12:55 AM
User Info
Nice review! I really like Mike's as well. I have never used his stick version, but do something similar to prep it. I'll place a few drops of hot water from the tap and let it sit on the soap while I shower. I've found this really helps prime the soap for loading by softening it up a bit.

5 938
 05-20-2013, 05:44 AM
User Info
That's my favorite scent from Mike's. I bought it in bar form and mashed it into an Old Spice mug. I'm waiting for it to be available in stick form again, so I can use it for travelling.

0 19