12-24-2012, 07:06 PM
User Info
I received a small sample of Ach. Brito's Lavanda shaving cream in a trade this week. I tried it yesterday morning and HATED IT. It's too firm to use properly, and really more of a very soft soap than a cream. I ended up putting some of it in my brush (about an almond-sized glob) and trying to lather it on my face, but the damn stuff kept falling out of the brush.

I found the lather itself to be highly unstable, and it basically died on my face. I was really surprised because I keep hearing rave reviews of the stuff, but to me it was absolute garbage.

So I come to the experts. Has anyone else had this sort of difficulty/am I doing something wrong?

Happy Holidays!

p.s. Is it possible to move your own thread after you realize that you put it in the wrong place, or do you have to wait for the mods to do it? Thanks!

5 407
 12-24-2012, 11:48 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Some of the Portuguese shaving creams , like Lavanda or Musgo Real could be a little bit tricky to lather.I usually start with no a lot of water on the brush , add an almond size of cream inside of the brush , and start facelathering. I do add drops of water as I consider it necessary and I obtain good results.I think that more product and less water is the key to lather Lavanda shaving cream.

86 7,123
 12-25-2012, 06:44 AM
User Info
I only use creams, no soaps, and usually face lather. But with the firmer creams that come in a tube, as opposed to the soft creams in a tub, I prefer to bowl lather. I recently got a tube of Lavanda from Bullgoose and it lathers great in my Dirty Bird Bill Bowl.

37 2,945
 12-25-2012, 07:51 AM
User Info
Maybe I'll try it in a bowl. It's a shame because I really like the scent, but the stuff was so difficult to work with that I pretty much hated everything else about it. Seems like face lathering might be too difficult/annoying.

5 407
 12-25-2012, 01:47 PM
User Info
I own both the new Lavanda and the old. The new seems to be very hard, more croap like as compared to the old formula, but both works fine for me Cool

22 5,053
 12-25-2012, 03:47 PM
  • 2dwgs
  • North Carolina
User Info
If it's firm enough to be moldable, like some of the italian soft soaps, you may want to form it into a puck and mash it into the bottom of a mug or container and lather directly on it.

12 83
 12-25-2012, 05:07 PM
User Info
(12-25-2012, 03:47 PM)2dwgs Wrote: If it's firm enough to be moldable, like some of the italian soft soaps, you may want to form it into a puck and mash it into the bottom of a mug or container and lather directly on it.

That's what I was thinking. Unfortunately, I don't have enough of it to form it that way. I may flatten it against the bottom of a mug or something and try it that way. But yes, it is about that firm. Didn't really seem like a "cream" at all.

5 407
 12-26-2012, 10:15 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
a few months ago I got Lavanda, Top secret, and Valeiro all are from Portugal, at first they where easy to squeeze out of the tube. But now they have turned very hard. They do lather up very well in a bowl, but you cannot face lather with them any longer.

1 265
 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM
User Info
Yesterday I tried to lather a sample of Lavanda, without success. The cream was very hard and I tried to put the sample in a bowl and lather it with a brush, but the cream kept moving in the bowl and did not produce a consistent lather. I did liked the scent though, so If I buy it, I will put the whole tube in a container and load the brush directly from there, as if it were an italian croap, like Cella, for example.

10 605
 02-20-2013, 01:07 PM
User Info
I found Lavanda, Musgo Real, and others from this manufacturer want more water than other creams. so, I use a sloppy wet brush to get things going.

6 230
 02-24-2013, 04:45 PM
User Info
(12-25-2012, 05:07 PM)BarristerN_Mann Wrote:
(12-25-2012, 03:47 PM)2dwgs Wrote: If it's firm enough to be moldable, like some of the italian soft soaps, you may want to form it into a puck and mash it into the bottom of a mug or container and lather directly on it.

That's what I was thinking. Unfortunately, I don't have enough of it to form it that way. I may flatten it against the bottom of a mug or something and try it that way. But yes, it is about that firm. Didn't really seem like a "cream" at all.

@Barrister: where did you get your sample from? I remember some time ago, there was a vendor that sold a lot of old rotten, dry Lavanda tubes - those were not in proper conditions, probably due to bad storage conditions. It is possible that you get one of those...?

I have bothe the old and the new version of Lavanda and both versions lather beautifully.

2 5,527
 02-24-2013, 05:07 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(12-26-2012, 10:15 PM)Mynorx Wrote: a few months ago I got Lavanda, Top secret, and Valeiro all are from Portugal, at first they where easy to squeeze out of the tube. But now they have turned very hard. They do lather up very well in a bowl, but you cannot face lather with them any longer.

This has also happened to my tube of Lavanda. It seems once the tube is opened, it hardens up in a few months.

45 16,307
 02-25-2013, 02:33 AM
User Info
(02-24-2013, 05:07 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(12-26-2012, 10:15 PM)Mynorx Wrote: a few months ago I got Lavanda, Top secret, and Valeiro all are from Portugal, at first they where easy to squeeze out of the tube. But now they have turned very hard. They do lather up very well in a bowl, but you cannot face lather with them any longer.

This has also happened to my tube of Lavanda. It seems once the tube is opened, it hardens up in a few months.

Try to put them on the fridge for a day or two. They will get back to normal consistency - the same happens with Speick. Is basically the same phenomena that Speick describes in their web-page. http://www.speickwerk.com/products/men/s...ing-cream/

believe it, it works. Wink

2 5,527