12-25-2012, 06:14 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I'd like to know a bit more about the DLC coating.. What is it? How is it applied? Is it durable? What other uses are there for DLC coatings? Is the coating compatible with cleaners like Scrubbing Bubbles?

33 914
 12-25-2012, 09:23 AM
User Info
This is just speculation, but i heard it is used for coating guns. i find it fairly durable, but see it wearing away on the main screw post where the handle is inserted. i only use soap on mine so i can not confirm that the Scrubbing Bubbles will not damage it, but i can not see that happening over time with the few times that you clean it with that product.

75 20,883
 12-25-2012, 01:10 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Did a Wikipedia search so I have a better idea do WHAT it is..

Like yours, mine is showing signs of wear at the base of the handle/base plate. But mine is fresh out of the box and as yet...unused. I love the handle and the aesthetics of the DLC coating, but the head looks EXACTLY like a standard Merkur, so not sure how/if it will differ. Considering mine is unused and already showing wear, I am not all that confident in the longevity of the DLC coating. That's disappointing in a razor at this price point.

33 914
 12-25-2012, 04:30 PM
User Info
If there was any sign of wear, you could easily contact Ed at Weber and inform him as he will accommodate you, quickly, to rectify the problem.
As for the shave, i think you will find it quite different, in my opinion; much smoother and comfortable than the Merkurs, in my opinion. Good luck.

75 20,883
 12-25-2012, 05:01 PM
User Info
Agreed. The Weber razor, especially the DLC, offers a smooth and extremely forgiving shave. Most agree that the Weber is slightly more aggressive than the Merkur head.

The DLC coating is very thin and is applied by an artisan, not a big company with huge machines and tight qc, that is what makes the Weber different. I agree that it should not show signs of wear right out of the box, but for $70.00, it really is a bargain for an all stainless razor with a nice coating. Ymmv of course.

63 2,128
 12-26-2012, 03:36 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Thanks to both of you..

Given where the wear marks are, I am inclined to ignore it. No doubt I have other razors that have similar marks after just a few uses. If it were any other spot on a brand new head, I would be more likely to escalate the issue.

I haven't shaved with it yet.. I have a Tradere OC and a Fatboy (named George) both loaded this week. But a Merkur-ish shave on a little bit of steroids is going to be a really nice shave!!

I add lots of new stuff during November and December so it will take some time to sort through all the possible combinations!!

33 914
 12-26-2012, 03:56 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I have a couple DLC coated dive watches and they show absolutely no wear after over a years worth of hard knocks so DLC can definitely be very durable if applied correctly even thought the coating is only microns thick.

The PVD watches that I have have not fared anywhere near as well.

My Weber DLC does not show the wear on the same spot. I initially thought the edges were wearing through but under less reflective light, the shave head is still perfect at every point, even where the handle screws onto the head. Mine is from the initial release batch.

6 905
 01-01-2013, 05:59 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Does anyone know if Scrubbing Bubbles is safe for the DLC coating?

33 914
 01-01-2013, 07:19 PM
User Info
i have never tried it, Michael. i just use a mild soap and tooth brush.

75 20,883
 01-02-2013, 07:57 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(01-01-2013, 05:59 PM)MikekiM Wrote: Does anyone know if Scrubbing Bubbles is safe for the DLC coating?

The bottle of Scrubbing Bubbles doesn't address DLC coatings but it does say not to use on marble,brass or varnished surfaces. Since DLC coatings seems to be on the delicate side I would not use Scrubbing Bubbles (contains acid). I would just use mild soap and water and dry immediately.

100 12,447
 01-02-2013, 04:31 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Err on the side of caution.. Got it.

Cheers Mates!

33 914