12-25-2012, 06:11 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Being a newbie and safety razor shaving for only a month, I 've been using sticks, tubs and a Old Spice Mug. The idea of having really warm, thick lather sounds almost felonious. Is having a scuttle that much better than using a regular mug?

2 334
 12-25-2012, 08:30 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
"That much" is a very vague term and means something different to everyone.

That said, there's nothing quite like that warm soft lather on your face, particularly on a cold day.

A scuttle produces warmer lather than a brush and mug and a sink full of hot water, and keeps it that way longer. But scuttles are a small-volume item and cost a pretty penny. Only you can decide if you it's worth it to you.

You could make a makeshift scuttle with a pair of bowls and some hot water, and just see if the experience is something you'd be willing to pay for.

I don't think I'd have ever gotten one if my wife weren't a potter, but now that I have one, I'd never get rid of it.

10 1,858
 12-25-2012, 08:31 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(12-25-2012, 06:11 PM)Blue line Wrote: Being a newbie and safety razor shaving for only a month, I 've been using sticks, tubs and a Old Spice Mug. The idea of having really warm, thick lather sounds almost felonious. Is having a scuttle that much better than using a regular mug?

Yes Biggrin

45 16,359
 12-25-2012, 08:38 PM
User Info
Opinions vary, of course, as with most things here. But I love my scuttles and use them all year long. Partly it is because of the warmth, and partly the scuttle has just become an integral part of my whole morning ritual.

184 12,003
 12-25-2012, 08:47 PM
User Info
short answer....YES

8 2,718
 12-26-2012, 01:06 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Scuttles are great but some much better then others.

100 12,448
 12-26-2012, 01:08 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
I love my scuttles on cold mornings. I don't use them as much during the dog days of summer,

3 497
 12-26-2012, 01:26 PM
User Info
Might be better than a mug, but I swear to bowls... Do try as Eric suggest and jury rig a makeshift scuttle out of two bowls to see if it's that much better with warm lather.

3 3,580
 12-26-2012, 01:58 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
(12-26-2012, 01:26 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Might be better than a mug, but I swear to bowls... Do try as Eric suggest and jury rig a makeshift scuttle out of two bowls to see if it's that much better with warm lather.

I know this sounds like heresy but I was wondering if a Thermos/Stanley type short and fat thermos would do the same thing?
Fill it with hit water, screw the lid on and let it get warm, take shower, empty thermos and make lather in it. Just wondering if it would stay warm long enough? I know my tall Staley bottle keeps things warmer longer if you get it warm before you put your coffee in. Will search the thrift stores for a testing candidate.
After my finances get better,I may just pop for a point of use hot water heater at the bathroom sink!

2 334
 12-26-2012, 02:00 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
I love my RB#1 scuttle,
but...
I am with Hans and Eric on this one... try it for yourself with the makeshift bowl experiment...

I have one scuttle, and several makeshift bowls/mugs that fit well together.

My RB#1 does not come apart, and has a pretty good size resevoir, so going to a mug/bowl Or bowl/bowl combo can be more useful. also depends on if I experience lathers that work better without the heat (dryout).

look through Tar-jee' , and you will find a Corning Ware soup-mug (white) that is a good size, designed for the microwave (has a rubber removable lid-top) grab a bowl from the kitchenware section as well, and test it for fit over the soup-mug...
it is a great way to test the imagination! Wink

9 1,684
 12-26-2012, 02:11 PM
User Info
(12-26-2012, 01:58 PM)Blue line Wrote:
(12-26-2012, 01:26 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Might be better than a mug, but I swear to bowls... Do try as Eric suggest and jury rig a makeshift scuttle out of two bowls to see if it's that much better with warm lather.

I know this sounds like heresy but I was wondering if a Thermos/Stanley type short and fat thermos would do the same thing?
Fill it with hit water, screw the lid on and let it get warm, take shower, empty thermos and make lather in it. Just wondering if it would stay warm long enough? I know my tall Staley bottle keeps things warmer longer if you get it warm before you put your coffee in. Will search the thrift stores for a testing candidate.
After my finances get better,I may just pop for a point of use hot water heater at the bathroom sink!

If you have one sitting around, you could just do an experiment and let us know. Cool

9 2,988
 12-26-2012, 03:20 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I enjoy bowls and scuttles. There are several methods of developing lather, each with its own benefits. The scuttle is a tool like the razor and part of the fun. I would recommend you get one. A Dirty Bird scuttle would be a good choice.

16 545
 12-26-2012, 04:14 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I will try the double bowl method. I don't have anything so off to Targ-gee or BED, BATH, AND BEYOND I will go.

2 334
 12-31-2012, 11:13 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
I found an old short, fat Thermos vacuum jar for a buck at the local antique mall. I filled it with hot, tap water. It maxed my mouth thermometer at 107.7. I screwed the lid on and came back 15 minutes later and the water was 104.9. Not bad heat retention. I prepped it, showered, and whipped up some Sandalwood cream lather. I couldn't really say the lather was any warmer or enjoyable. I later figured out that my idea was good but science was not on my side. The idea behind a scuttle is to use the pottery as a heat sink to keep the water or lather warm. My Thermos uses dead air space/ vacuum to prevent heat loss on the sides and bottom, but once the lid comes off, there goes the heat since the plastic holds very little heat. Oh well. I'm really liking sticks right now anyway.

2 334