03-26-2012, 03:49 AM
User Info
Anyone else use Trumper's Skin Food as a preshave? I have been using the sandalwood for some time and have just recently received the limes; which works better for me since the scent fades so fast.

I find its not overly thick and makes for decent enough protection while being quite slick.

0 652
 03-26-2012, 08:35 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi

I wish I had the money to use it as a pre-shave and a post-shave product as I love the stuff (especially the Coral).

Unfortunately I don't have the money to do that, instead I only use it as a post-shave treatment.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-26-2012, 06:54 PM
User Info
I bought some from the shop in London a few weeks ago and the salesman suggested doing this. I haven't tried it yet (mostly because I don't want to run through my supply too fast and I'm pretty satisfied with my Proraso pre), but if it seems to be effective for you guys perhaps I'll try it and weigh in. I really do love this stuff, a little goes a long way. The Trumpers shaving cream, on the other hand...

0 19
 03-26-2012, 07:04 PM
User Info
I had a couple samples of both sandalwood & limes. The scents are amazing. The product, however, didn't work for me. It left my face tacky & oily looking. It didn't moisturize at all. Conversely it actually dried out my face & I needed to put on a balm to remoisturize.

This was one of my YMMV moments that it didn't work for me. Now that reminds me that I haven't posted this in the "Highly touted products..." thread.

31 7,912
 03-27-2012, 01:15 AM
User Info
Well, I like the fact its light and yet slick, I don't feel like it leaves residue in my brush at all and it works well for me...

Brian, it sounds like you used too much if it was sticky on your face, literally a couple drops for post shave, pre I use a lot more though. I do agree though its not the worlds greatest moisturizer for a post shave, its mainly being use as a preshave unless I wear some Trumper's cologne or aftershave. Cool

0 652
 03-27-2012, 03:05 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I have. Also, works well mixing with the lather.

0 353
 03-27-2012, 04:26 PM
User Info
(03-27-2012, 01:15 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: Well, I like the fact its light and yet slick, I don't feel like it leaves residue in my brush at all and it works well for me...

Brian, it sounds like you used too much if it was sticky on your face, literally a couple drops for post shave, pre I use a lot more though. I do agree though its not the worlds greatest moisturizer for a post shave, its mainly being use as a preshave unless I wear some Trumper's cologne or aftershave. Cool
Yeah, Aaron I agree. But I only put more on because it was so drying. It just was an epic fail for me. I put them in a grab bag so hopefully someone else will get along better with them.

31 7,912
 03-27-2012, 06:41 PM
User Info
From what the guy at the shop told me and from my own experience, two drops is plenty. Anything more is very unnecessary and is apt to leave you feeling slick and oily. That's just my two cents.

0 19
 03-27-2012, 07:49 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I've been using this as a pre-shave for a while. A smaller bottle doesn't even have a dent in it after two months usage.
Just one drop which falls easily from the bottle coats the whole face and neck to be shaved.
I've tried both the Proraso pre/posts and they didn't seem to help but the Trumper's seems to help the comfort of the shave, especially the first pass which makes sense. I could try it between all passes but I think that would be a bit too much.

Since the Skin Food is mostly glycerin, I've tried straight glycerin as a pre-shave and it didn't work as well. I've tried one week on/one week off with all of the above the the Trumper's Skin Food has produced the best results. Pricey, yes but since such a small amount gets used, I'm gonna keep at it.

6 905
 03-28-2012, 05:44 AM
User Info
Brian, its just a matter of skin types I suppose, it doesn't dry my skin out but it doesn't seem to add any moisture to it what so ever.

On the pre shave side, I like how the Proraso works, I use a lot more product and make sure my face is wet down good; however I honestly prefer not having menthol and scent mixed in with my British soaps and creams....

0 652
 03-29-2012, 10:30 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
(03-28-2012, 05:44 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: Brian, its just a matter of skin types I suppose, it doesn't dry my skin out but it doesn't seem to add any moisture to it what so ever.

On the pre shave side, I like how the Proraso works, I use a lot more product and make sure my face is wet down good; however I honestly prefer not having menthol and scent mixed in with my British soaps and creams....

I'm in the same boat - the smell is a bit overpowering but from what I hear the stuff in the white tub is more muted.

What I do before I put lather on my face is to splash my face a bit with some water and it knocks down most of the smell. For me I'm not using it for slickness but to help soften the whiskers if I'm in a hurry.

0 353
 04-14-2012, 09:26 AM
User Info
As a pre shave, I found its made very little difference to the quality of my shave but I adore the sandalwood non the less as an aftershave especially in the warmer months since its not so thick like some balms.

64 796
 04-14-2012, 09:35 AM
User Info
yup, i've been using my Limes as a Preshave, Ubber lather product (3-4 drops in soaps) and Post shave on some days.

i LOVE limes.

8 2,718
 04-20-2012, 04:55 AM
User Info
I'm stuck on the limes myself now, its being used nearly daily lol.... I am curious though to see how the new Proraso Sandalwood will turn out.

0 652
 04-22-2012, 02:45 PM
User Info
I only use it as a pre-shave, as I find it a little sticky as a post. I prefer Limes, but I'm currently using the Coral on the rare occasion that I shave with Trumpers shaving cream

0 8
 04-22-2012, 02:58 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I just got a bottle of this yesterday in the mail and was wondering when I should put it on. Do I put it on before or after the aftershave?

116 3,804
 04-22-2012, 05:07 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I use it as an aftershave balm. A little goes a long way and it rubs into the skin completely.

2 11,211
 04-22-2012, 06:39 PM
User Info
(04-22-2012, 05:07 PM)freddy Wrote: I use it as an aftershave balm. A little goes a long way and it rubs into the skin completely.

I agree. As an aftershave, I use only 3 drops and it covers my whole face and dries to a perfect finish.

9 1,199
 04-23-2012, 11:44 AM
User Info
i cut it with a tiny nit of a moistened face, too much and it is not pleasant. i have been using the sandalwood, which smells similar enough to coral... it's interesting though... very different feeling from balms and lotions..

1 48
 04-23-2012, 12:09 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I tried a sample of the limes for the first time today. Very nice! I actually used a bit too much, and I didn't use much at all.

After a couple of hours I think it's not quite as nice as the RR aftershave wax, but still quite nice and with a great scent.

10 1,858