12-26-2012, 05:54 AM
User Info
For those who aren't familiar with this razor: it's Gillette's attempt to introduce cartridge razors to India.

The razor handle itself is made of plastic and is very light. The cartridges are open comb (believe it or not) and have a single blade.

This razor is pretty cheap - I forget what the price is in India, but you can get the razor here for ~$2.50 and the cartridges for 50 cents apiece. Certainly more expensive over time than a safety razor, but cheap for carts.

I decided to give it a try for a few days to see how it worked. I used a normal prep for a wetshave - lather using a Semogue 620 and Endymion cream. I shaved with the razor like I would any safety razor.

So how did it perform?

I got a BBS on my cheeks, and a DFS on my neck. And I almost always get a DFS on my neck, there is some stubborn hair and I attribute part of that to operator error, no matter the razor.

Suffice to say I'm impressed. While it won't replace the safety razor at home, this is something I would use for travel (since you can put it in your carry-on, and if it got lost, well, it's two bucks.)

The only complaint I have with the razor is the handle; if it was a bit heftier (say, the Mach 3) that would be great, though I understand Gillette needs to keep the price down because they are marketing this to a developing country.

I've seen it carried at Italian Barber and West Coast; next time you place an order, it's something to consider throwing in.

12 1,243
 12-26-2012, 06:22 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I tried one and enjoyed it too. It worked better than a Trac II to me and if they had a better handle, I'd get one for my wife and son (they love the Trac II)

116 3,804
 12-26-2012, 06:29 AM
User Info
Good review, thank you - even if I'll never buy one for myself*, other peoples mileage will vary; and now they know it's a good purchase Smile

Once my Better Half's supply of carts for the Sensor runs out, I might get her one - might be easier than trying to score Sensor carts over here.

*) I won't buy it for my personal use for several reasons; one is that it's a cart, the other is the whole walled garden thing Gillette is trying to achieve with it.

3 3,580
 12-26-2012, 06:34 AM
User Info
(12-26-2012, 06:29 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Good review, thank you - even if I'll never buy one for myself*, other peoples mileage will vary; and now they know it's a good purchase Smile

Once my Better Half's supply of carts for the Sensor runs out, I might get her one - might be easier than trying to score Sensor carts over here.

Probably.

It should work fine for legs - I know Joe @ IB has said it's superb for head shaving.

12 1,243
 12-26-2012, 07:42 AM
User Info
I love the Gillette Guard for travel. It gives me a shave every bit as close as a DE, though it's not as enjoyable to use so I only use them for travel.

0 836
 12-26-2012, 08:17 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It is one of those YMMV things as I did not get a good shave at all using one of these. For disposable, I get a better shave from the single blade BIC razors.

173 23,546
 12-26-2012, 10:04 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
For me the Gillette Guard worked great for head shaving. I really can't imagine finding a better head shaver. The fact it does not get clogged is priceless.

45 3,955
 12-26-2012, 10:14 AM
User Info
(12-26-2012, 10:04 AM)tgutc Wrote: For me the Gillette Guard worked great for head shaving. I really can't imagine finding a better head shaver. The fact it does not get clogged is priceless.

+1!

I've never had better head shaves in all my life... and the fact it doesn't clog-up is awesome.

I agree with the above posts, it needs a heavier handle but the cartridge heads are the best I've used for a cartridge razor, it's partially OC, no chemical laced lube strips, really simple head pivot and single blade, thus preventing the ingrown hairs.

For head shaving, a pivot on the head is very much preferable for me... my head is very round and requires constantly angle changes.

I'm sure this is a gateway razor for Gillette in India; the minute they stop producing it, I will have to contract someone to make it for RazoRock.

All that said, I still much prefer a high quality DE razor for my face.

3 315
 12-26-2012, 12:03 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
The Gillette guard is definitely an efficient shaver. I pull it out if I don't have a lot of time on my hands and I need a shave. It also works exceptionally well on long whiskers as well. I got about the same amount of shaves out of it that I do my DE blades, 3-4.

53 555
 12-26-2012, 12:11 PM
User Info
I've never seen one of these. Can they be found in stores like walmart or target or rite aid?

40 5,830
 12-26-2012, 12:40 PM
User Info
(12-26-2012, 12:11 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I've never seen one of these. Can they be found in stores like walmart or target or rite aid?

No, strictly internet for us in the west.

0 372
 12-26-2012, 01:35 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
Here's what they look like:

[Image: 2l3qfc.jpg]
[Image: ivl5zn.jpg]

53 555