12-26-2012, 09:18 AM
User Info
I was going to post this in the official QE II thread, but changed my mind since I am very critical of the QC involved and created an official picture free review instead.

Man, this is a story. I've been waiting for this brush since Mark announced the first batch had shipped. I ordered very early so I expected to be on the first shipment. I left a note on my door with a signature just in case I missed my postman when it came since I knew signature was required. I saw him every day as he comes between 4:45 and 5:15 every day and the dogs announce his coming up the stairs. Nothing. I'd check the mailbox and nothing there either except junk mail and holiday cards. On the 24th once again while several christmas boxes came, nothing from the UK. I took the mail out of the box and there was a stupid thin piece of junk mail at the very bottom of the box for replacing gutters. I pulled that out too to throw away and what was stuck underneath it? Yeah, a "sorry we missed you" pink notice from the Post. Facepalm Even worse it was dated the 19th. FacepalmFacepalm

Picked it up this morning and have now used it.

The bad first:
WOW, it is much shorter than I expected for some reason (meaning my expectations not the brush). I knew the dimensions but I still expected something a bit larger for some stupid reason.

The sticker ... I too have a wavy sticker. Poor QC if you ask me.

The coin, while not the fault of Simpsons, the coin itself has rough edges on the top at the edge. It catches your eye almost instantly. Another piece of poor QC to me as I don't think the coin should have been used. Also, mine too had oodles of glue coming on the outside of the coin. Easy enough for me to clean up, but I shouldn't have been the one to clean it up IMO.

Finally it shed about 10 hairs on the first use. Hopefully this brush just sheds all the hairs on first use. Biggrin

Now the good:
Due to the firmness of the brush, today I decided to face lather. I seldom face lather, but this brush just screamed for MdC and a face lather. I let the brush sit in hot tap water for 5 minutes, shook off the excess water and loaded MdC for 10 seconds. I put the brush to my face and BAM super thick and slick lather instantly. I added a bit of water to the tips of the brush and set up a very nice lather for the first pass. An insanely smooth shave with my Joris. Two more passes were completed and there was plenty of soap on the brush for probably 6 total passes. All on a 10 second load of MdC. The Manchurian hairs did a fantastic job face lathering. I am not sure how I would feel about this brush and a cream / bowl lather, but it reigns supreme for a good face lather.

Simpson's also included a 75ml tube of their AS Balm. While I do not like balms myself, this is a nice little addition to the order.

So kudos to Simpsons for a great little face lathering machine, but as others have pointed out the QC could use a bit more supervision for me.

129 6,685
 12-26-2012, 11:44 AM
  • ethiel
  • Airman
  • Alexandria, VA.
User Info
It is a great little brush. Thank you for your review. What is your number? Mine is #36.

1 23
 12-26-2012, 11:46 AM
User Info
Thanks for the review, it sounds like a great brush overall. If I liked the handle color better, I would have been in for one as well. Enjoy it!

63 2,128
 12-26-2012, 12:03 PM
User Info
Brush number is 17.

Please note, while I am nit picking over a couple QC items due to the fact this costs $200, I love the brush. I think it is going to convert me to a face latherer.

129 6,685
 12-26-2012, 01:13 PM
User Info
Wow, Doug, i am surprised you don't face-lather, already!
Enjoy the brush. No pictures?

75 20,883
 12-26-2012, 01:26 PM
User Info
Well this post started in the official thread but I moved it here. I didn't do pics as there are plenty of them already.

I face lather on occasion but for whatever reason it is not that often. Perhaps my scuttle collection has something to do with that. Now I need a D01 2 band.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

129 6,685
 12-26-2012, 02:03 PM
User Info
(12-26-2012, 12:03 PM)wingdo Wrote: Brush number is 17.

Please note, while I am nit picking over a couple QC items due to the fact this costs $160, I love the brush. I think it is going to convert me to a face latherer.

Did the pound go up against the dollar recently? I've been thinking about picking one up, but the $200 conversion price plus shipping keeps turning me off.

9 2,988
 12-26-2012, 02:14 PM
User Info
I love the handle design, the handle ,aerial, the Manchurian hair used in the knot, only the rather smallish size makes me skip this brush Blush

I have already owned the Duke 2, a wonderful brush, but the handle is just too short for my hands in the long run. Same with this little beautiful brush - handle size let's it down Blush

Otherwise it's a truly beautiful brush.
Just not for me, but I love reading you guys reviews of this little fantastic jubilee brush !

22 5,058
 12-26-2012, 02:26 PM
User Info
(12-26-2012, 02:03 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:

Please note, while I am nit picking over a couple QC items due to the fact this costs $160, I love the brush. I think it is going to convert me to a face latherer.

Did the pound go up against the dollar recently? I've been thinking about picking one up, but the $200 conversion price plus shipping keeps turning me off.

I have no reason why I thought I paid $160. At $200 I am even more miffed at the QC nit picking. At that price the brush should be flawless IMO.

129 6,685
 12-27-2012, 02:04 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(12-26-2012, 02:26 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(12-26-2012, 02:03 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:

I have no reason why I thought I paid $160. At $200 I am even more miffed at the QC nit picking. At that price the brush should be flawless IMO.

If I can get one for $160 then I'm buying a second, so that that way I won't be so upset every time I see the big chip out of the base of my number 11...

91 17,850
 12-27-2012, 03:02 AM
User Info
I'm thinking the stickers got biffed because they were worrying about making sure they were centered and not lopsided, maybe too careful... Either way, this is one problem we can solve ourselves and have Mark ship out new stickers if its bothering people.

As for the glue, its just one of those things I'm glad I cleaned mine up.

When I use the brush, all the QC issues are nowhere to be found in my conscious or subconscious for that matter, and they don't really photograph, except for a couple ripples, I dunno I think this brush has "British" character; I also think it should be a reminder if you want a "Perfect" Simpsons you have to order from TSS or have Mark himself pick out the brush....

0 652
 12-27-2012, 03:31 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Nice review Doug

I was surprised about the inclusion of the £ coin as well when it was announced as they're not exactly the best made coin I've ever seen.

In the UK these brushes cost the equivalent of $243

The QC issues for a brush of that proce don't sound that great to me. Sad

I'd be expecting a perfect brush as well especially given that they have been hand made to order.

32 638
 12-27-2012, 04:58 AM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 03:31 AM)ajc347 Wrote: Nice review Doug

I was surprised about the inclusion of the £ coin as well when it was announced as they're not exactly the best made coin I've ever seen.

In the UK these brushes cost the equivalent of $243

The QC issues for a brush of that proce don't sound that great to me. Sad

I'd be expecting a perfect brush as well especially given that they have been hand made to order.

Eh, if you've ever looked at a production lot of Simpsons brushes that are shipped, regardless of price, there's maybe one that would be considered "Perfect". I still get offers on my CH2 Super, because it is just that.

I'm not really excusing the QC, but I'm just saying, Simpsons and perfection do not belong in the same sentence, even Gary doesn't understand today's trend, but hey, I take it for what it is, if it falls apart, I will be up in arms.

0 652
 12-27-2012, 05:32 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
For the entry price on this LE brush and considering it is a Simpson (not Joes brush company on the corner), these QC issues are unacceptable. If it is easy enough for the end user to scrape out the glue from around the coin, the assembly team could have done it. Tweaked sticker? That's ridiculous. It's a sticker. Yes, these nits can be fixed easy enough, but this is a $200 brush commemorating the Queen. I'm just sayin....

33 914
 12-27-2012, 06:00 AM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 05:32 AM)MikekiM Wrote: For the entry price on this LE brush and considering it is a Simpson (not Joes brush company on the corner), these QC issues are unacceptable. If it is easy enough for the end user to scrape out the glue from around the coin, the assembly team could have done it. Tweaked sticker? That's ridiculous. It's a sticker. Yes, these nits can be fixed easy enough, but this is a $200 brush commemorating the Queen. I'm just sayin....

This is probably the best ammo I have, these are even worse, and are close to the same price...

[Image: pj3b_1024_1.jpg]

My point is, you don't buy a Simpsons expecting perfection, and actually looking at the QEII's they look quite close as far as knot shape and sticker placement.

0 652
 12-27-2012, 08:59 AM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 03:02 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: I dunno I think this brush has "British" character;

When I read this I thought back to high school when a good friend of mine had an original mini cooper he had to tinker with every day to keep running. It wasn't even that old, my Chevelle was much older than his car.

I have to keep reminding myself that British items have "character". Biggrin

129 6,685
 12-27-2012, 11:02 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(12-27-2012, 08:59 AM)wingdo Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 03:02 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: I dunno I think this brush has "British" character;

When I read this I thought back to high school when a good friend of mine had an original mini cooper he had to tinker with every day to keep running. It wasn't even that old, my Chevelle was much older than his car.

Some British items do have character. Old British sports cars, shaving brushes, and Dunhill Pipes have character.Smile

173 23,533
 12-27-2012, 01:12 PM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 03:02 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: I'm thinking the stickers got biffed because they were worrying about making sure they were centered and not lopsided, maybe too careful... Either way, this is one problem we can solve ourselves and have Mark ship out new stickers if its bothering people.

It could also be due to the angles of the handle. When I tried to go with stickers, they wouldn't go on straight, so I had to scrap the idea. I don't know if using a shape like Simpsons would have worked, but stickers are not as easy as I thought they would be.

That said, if there are examples where the sticker is placed perfectly flat, then handle shape is not the issue.

9 2,988
 12-27-2012, 01:36 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
(12-27-2012, 04:58 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: Eh, if you've ever looked at a production lot of Simpsons brushes that are shipped, regardless of price, there's maybe one that would be considered "Perfect". I still get offers on my CH2 Super, because it is just that.

I'm not really excusing the QC, but I'm just saying, Simpsons and perfection do not belong in the same sentence, even Gary doesn't understand today's trend, but hey, I take it for what it is, if it falls apart, I will be up in arms.

Well, I've owned 13 Simpsons regular production brushes and have only had issue over 2 of them - my Duke 3 which has a poor finish on the base and my PJ2 which looks like it was chipped very slightly on the base in manufacture and then re-shaped slightly as a means of repair.

The Duke 3 was just under half the cost of the QEII Jubilee and has an excellent knot in it which far outweighs the cosmetic issue and the PJ2 was bought in a sale so that more than made up for the made the chip repair.

The other 11 have all been supplied in what I would consider to be perfect condition. Some stickers have been aplied perfectly and some slightly wonky - none of them had any ripples in them though.

The 4 Vulfixes I've owned have slightly roughened bases on them but they are a fraction of the price of the Jubilee brush.

Given the fact that makers like M&F, EJ and Rooney can deliver flawless brushes time after time I struggle to see why Simpsons couldn't have taken a little more attention to detail on the finer points (such as selection of coins and cleaning up glue residue), of a brush which is priced at a premium price.

I, for one, would have felt short-changed if I had decided to purchase one and it turned up with those issues.

For £150 I would expect perfection in a brush regardless of who made it.

(12-27-2012, 08:59 AM)wingdo Wrote:

That's exactly why British Leyland fell apart and the Mini brand was purchased by BMW, Doug.

We now make Japanese cars in the UK of a greater quality and reliability than we ever could make ourselves.

There's really no excuse for the 'character' of some of the goods we produce - sometimes it is quite embarrassing to see how far British manufacturing has fallen from the days when the expectation was that every we produced needed to be spot on.

32 638
 12-28-2012, 08:58 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
If it weren't for the dent in the base, I couldn't fault the brush in any way.

And, it's entirely likely the dent is not in any way Simpsons fault.

The subtle handmade hallmarks of the brush are IMO not faults or QC issues, but testament to it's unique crafted by hand heritage. The knot is superb and for me it is a remarkable brush both in terms of form and function.

91 17,850