12-26-2012, 10:07 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I got a puck of this soap from my parents for Christmas, and used it last night for the first time. I test-lathered my two new brushes with it, then shaved with it.

The soap's scent is subtle but pleasant. Vervain (verbena) and linden makes for a nice herbaceous, woody scent. You can also smell the basic soap components, so it comes off as basically a "clean" smell.

It loaded in about 20 seconds with both brushes (a Finest and a Best). It didn't take long to get a nice thick batch of lather.

On the face, it was gentle and slick. There was plenty of glide. I gave myself a 3-pass shave (With/Across/Against) and was left very smooth with just a hint of sting from the alum. (Which is a great result for me.)

Afterward, my skin felt really nice, too.

The lingering scent from the soap would mesh well with just about any herbal smelling aftershave, I think. Cade would work nicely, but I don't have any more, so I used RR King Louis A/S wax.

10 1,858
 12-26-2012, 01:04 PM
User Info
(12-26-2012, 10:07 AM)Songwind Wrote: I got a puck of this soap from my parents for Christmas, and used it last night for the first time. I test-lathered my two new brushes with it, then shaved with it.

The soap's scent is subtle but pleasant. Vervain (verbena) and linden makes for a nice herbaceous, woody scent. You can also smell the basic soap components, so it comes off as basically a "clean" smell.

It loaded in about 20 seconds with both brushes (a Finest and a Best). It didn't take long to get a nice thick batch of lather.

On the face, it was gentle and slick. There was plenty of glide. I gave myself a 3-pass shave (With/Across/Against) and was left very smooth with just a hint of sting from the alum. (Which is a great result for me.)

The lingering scent from the soap would mesh well with just about any herbal smelling aftershave, I think. Cade would work nicely, but I don't have any more, so I used RR King Louis A/S wax.

I have the Provence Sante Green Tea and also find it to be a great performer!

0 295
 12-26-2012, 01:53 PM
User Info
(12-26-2012, 01:04 PM)Rockford Wrote:
(12-26-2012, 10:07 AM)Songwind Wrote: I got a puck of this soap from my parents for Christmas, and used it last night for the first time. I test-lathered my two new brushes with it, then shaved with it.

I have the Provence Sante Green Tea and also find it to be a great performer!

I have some of that soap as well. While I haven't tried it yet (soon), the scent is the best of all of my soaps.

40 5,830
 12-26-2012, 09:44 PM
User Info
I got a free puck of it maybe 1 1/2 years ago with an order. Initially I didn't care for the scent, but it grew on me. Long story made short, it's one of my favorites. Nice scent, great performance for all the reasons you mentioned.

32 6,308
 12-26-2012, 10:08 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Provence Santé is one of my favorite soaps and is always in my rotation.

2 11,211
 12-27-2012, 05:59 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Both of the Provence Sante soaps are great , and also smells even better.Im more partial to the Verlaine , I must admit.The lather is also fantastic , showing us that a good veggie soap could be as good as any tallow based soap.
The French make excellent triple milled shaving soaps , and this is another good example of them.

86 7,123
 12-27-2012, 07:51 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(12-27-2012, 05:59 PM)Teiste Wrote: Both of the Provence Sante soaps are great , and also smells even better.Im more partial to the Verlaine , I must admit.The lather is also fantastic , showing us that a good veggie soap could be as good as any tallow based soap.
The French make excellent triple milled shaving soaps , and this is another good example of them.

Yes they do!!!

91 17,823
 12-27-2012, 08:29 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I almost hate to post this, YMMV and all that, but this is one soap that just did not agree with me for some reason. Maybe someday I will revisit it.

173 23,500
 12-30-2012, 02:58 PM
User Info
Johnny, I'm sort of with you on that. This soap is on the edge for me; my wife and I both love the scent, and the lather works well for me, but my skin always feels a little tight afterwards. (Hey, that's what aftershave balms are for, right?)

I also have the Verlaine splash and cologne to build the scent, although some consider Verlaine's scent plenty strong enough from the lather alone.

--Glenn

1 49
 12-30-2012, 05:43 PM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
I can take or leave the scent but its a great soap for lather and slickness. I have a puck of Green Tea on the way.

7 898
 01-10-2013, 05:46 AM
User Info
I need to try the Verlaine, I love the Green Tea

0 433
 01-10-2013, 08:19 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I just came off a week-long spree of using it exclusively to help get it really dialed in. It's a great soap. I really didn't chafe under the restriction at all.

10 1,858
 01-10-2013, 08:32 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen, I have enjoyed Provence Sante Verlaine for a number of years. The soap exceeds all my expectations of luxurious lather, slick glide and comfortable cushion. Love the fragrance, too. I have almost a full puck in my mug, but I just ordered two more pucks from Phil. Just in case the world comes to an end, I don't want to be caught without this delightful, and reasonably priced, French soap. Indeed, gentlemen, the French know how to make a fine shaving soap.

132 2,614
 01-10-2013, 01:03 PM
User Info
The Green Tea version has given me the creamiest lather I have ever experienced. It was just at totally different feeling while face lathering. Awesome stuff!

0 836
 01-10-2013, 01:38 PM
User Info
I need to get another puck of the verlaine but I'm on restrictions until I use up some of my old stuff.

0 372
 01-15-2013, 11:28 PM
User Info
Provence Sante probably makes the best veggie soap on the market. It's been about 2 years since I ran out of the green tea...reading this makes me want to get some more.

5 938
 01-16-2013, 07:27 AM
User Info
Add me to the list of those who are fond of Provence Sante shaving soaps and as well as many other superb French soaps.

Obie put it well, "the French know how to make a fine shaving soap."

0 3,341
 02-07-2014, 05:42 AM
User Info
Oh, yes, I'm reviving this thread.

This really has become the soap for me. After going through a bunch of RazoRock croaps, I dug this out the back of the closet. I had gotten it a few years ago at a local drug store, with the terra cotta bowl. But after using it a few times, I went on to bigger (but not better) names.

I have found that just about every soap provides what we need; comfort, cushioning, and post-shave skin care. Of course these differ in degrees from each other, but we're not talking about shaving with just water vs. a luxurious master-barber-level experience. I kept looking for something "more" than Provence Sante, but now I've realized it has everything I'm looking for, and since I already have it, it doesn't cost me anything! It has talc as part of its ingredients and that provides great cushion and glide.

The biggest differentiator with other products, and this is purely personal, is the scent. For some reason the scent is nice and strong with me, whereas many others' seemed to drop out as soon as I apply the brush to my face. It is the scent that all others have mentioned in this thread, and it pairs very well with my Pre de Provence aftershave balm, which is nicely scented with sage and therefore complements the herbaceous elements of each product's scent.

In short, it always seems as if everyone settles on MdC when discussing French soaps. But, to me, Provence Sante should always at least make it a conversation.

72 1,407
 02-07-2014, 08:13 AM
User Info
I like the Green Tea scent better than the Verlaine. In fact, the PSGT is one of the nicest scented shaving soaps around.

Having said that, I ended up selling or trading my PSGT puck after about 10-12 uses. Although I loved the scent, I was never able to get the lather to match up to my best lathers with other products (mostly RazoRock and Mystic Water). YMMV.

1 1,102
 02-07-2014, 08:53 AM
User Info
(02-07-2014, 08:13 AM)kingfisher Wrote: I like the Green Tea scent better than the Verlaine. In fact, the PSGT is one of the nicest scented shaving soaps around.

I was able to trade for some of the Green Tea; I'm looking forward to trying it after I finish the Verlaine.

72 1,407