12-26-2012, 08:48 PM
  • Blair77
  • Bakersfield, California
User Info
Greetings, gents.

So, I've been a member of this fine community for a couple weeks now and this is now my most visited website. The people here are generous and full of great info. And, I actually enjoy shaving now. The whole prep and shave process is soothing, in a way.

I've learned a few things and even ordered myself an Arko Shave Stick. ($4.72 on Amazon, shipping included.) I hope I didn't pay too much. Ha.

My ultimate goal is to buy a good quality straight razor and strop. I'm not a poor man, but I do have to make wise decisions before I let go of money on these things. I want to buy a razor that will last me forever. Given proper care and maintenance, of course
I was wondering i you all could recommend a razor and stop for me to start with? Also, is a stone necessary or will regular post-shave stropping negate having one? I've been practicing with a Parker shavette and it's going well.

I also like the feel if my Van Der Hagen boar's hair brush during my lather. I also have a very inexpensive badger brush that seems way to floppy. I want to try a Semogue 2000 next. It looks like it feels great!

Anyhow, I'll shut up now.

Have a great day.

-Blair

0 43
 12-26-2012, 09:17 PM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
That's a fair price for an individual stick of Arko. When you buy them in volume you can get the price down to around ~$1 a stick. Taking into account shipping, I'd say it's a fair price to buy a single stick.

As for the straight razor question, I do not use straights but I see a lot of people recommend Whipped Dog sight unseen razor and strops. From what I understand it's a great place to being in straights.

Hopefully some more knowledgeable people than I will see this thread and add their two cents.

1 111
 12-26-2012, 09:46 PM
User Info
Welcome to the Nook! You're not the only one who "lives" here practically. Biggrin

Regarding getting a good straight razor and strop, etc, there are numerous online vendors that offer high quality straight razors and fine strops, and they come shave ready as well. Off the top of my head, a few places to check out are:

Straight Razor Designs
Asharperrazor

There are many other experienced members here who can answer any questions you might have. I do own and occasionally shave with a straight razor, but I am not an expert on them. Good luck in your search!

63 2,128
 12-26-2012, 09:59 PM
User Info
Addictive...yes it is! As mentioned check out Whipped Dog for some great entry level straights that won't set you back too much. I don't use straights myself, but hear lots of good things about Larry over at Whipped Dog.

5 938
 12-26-2012, 09:59 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
A pleasure to know that you enjoy this site , Blair.

Regarding the brush , if you face lather , I will go for a Semogue 1250/1800 or 1305 before the 2000.Great brushes for the money.

86 7,124
 12-27-2012, 07:09 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Blair, glad you are enjoying the Nook. Everyone here is friendly, generous, always helpful.

1 3,507
 12-27-2012, 07:10 AM
User Info
Trust me Blair, I know the feeling!

10 2,062
 12-27-2012, 08:02 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
It is damn addictive! And most enjoyable. This forum isn't SO HUGE, you can't keep up with what is going on.

2 334
 12-27-2012, 07:33 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I spend more time here than any other site I frequent. I've passed out on the sofa and woke up 6 hours later with my hand on the keyboard... on more than a couple occasions...lol
Mrs. Sav just puts a blanket over me... She has grown to like my wet shaving and is getting used to my packages arriving every few days.... I even have her using a brush with some VdH soap made for ladies to do her legs and such... She won't go for a DE.. YET... I'm going to get her a Lady Gillette as soon as I find a really nice one.... Maybe if she has it in hand she would give it a shot. Happy Shaves everyone...

5 1,151
 12-30-2012, 06:20 AM
User Info
(12-26-2012, 08:48 PM)Blair77 Wrote: Greetings, gents.

So, I've been a member of this fine community for a couple weeks now and this is now my most visited website. The people here are generous and full of great info. And, I actually enjoy shaving now. The whole prep and shave process is soothing, in a way.

I've learned a few things and even ordered myself an Arko Shave Stick. ($4.72 on Amazon, shipping included.) I hope I didn't pay too much. Ha.

My ultimate goal is to buy a good quality straight razor and strop. I'm not a poor man, but I do have to make wise decisions before I let go of money on these things. I want to buy a razor that will last me forever. Given proper care and maintenance, of course
I was wondering i you all could recommend a razor and stop for me to start with? Also, is a stone necessary or will regular post-shave stropping negate having one? I've been practicing with a Parker shavette and it's going well.

I also like the feel if my Van Der Hagen boar's hair brush during my lather. I also have a very inexpensive badger brush that seems way to floppy. I want to try a Semogue 2000 next. It looks like it feels great!

Have a great day.

-Blair

I'm too scared to even try a straight! I wish you success Smile

0 27
 12-30-2012, 12:33 PM
  • Blair77
  • Bakersfield, California
User Info
(12-30-2012, 06:20 AM)shark3r Wrote:
(12-26-2012, 08:48 PM)Blair77 Wrote: Greetings, gents.

Have a great day.

-Blair

I'm too scared to even try a straight! I wish you success Smile

I keep nicking my ears on top. I havent learned hoe to deal with what I'm calling "blind spots" in the mirror. I may need to add a mirror to my bathroom.

0 43
 12-30-2012, 04:25 PM
User Info
I understand where you're coming from. I'm only a month into the world of wet shaving and I've been lurking here for most of that time, picking up lots of useful info along the way. I finally decided tonight was the night to become a non-lurker and join. Smile

1 93
 12-30-2012, 07:21 PM
User Info
S.N.R.D (Shave Nook Reading Disorder) Welcome to the club!! I think we all have this.Biggrin

2 805
 12-30-2012, 09:34 PM
  • roggen
  • SoJo, Utah
User Info
Wet shaving seems to have a drawing effect! I have spent a number of hours doing research. That is how I found TSN!

0 34
 12-31-2012, 12:32 PM
User Info
SNRD, blah, i don't believe in that. Hee hee.
i hope you gents are enjoying yourselves.

75 20,883
 12-31-2012, 12:37 PM
User Info
I've been reading this site since I returned..

It's visually highly appealing, alot of information to digest and a great many nice people. I'm very impressed with the way this site has grown and evolved!

0 327