12-27-2012, 07:59 AM
User Info
One of the scratch-off lotto cards in my Christmas stocking was a winner, so I have a little extra cash to spend on a shaving item. Up to this point the brushes I own are two boars and a horse, so I'd like to give a decent badger a shot.

I saw some good reviews of the Vulfix here, but most of those are from older threads. Has this brush been able to stand up to newer competition (mainly the WSP Prince, which seems to be the rage here right now).

Right now I mainly bowl-lather soaps but I do have a few creams stockpiled, and I have face lathered from time to time to shake things up. But mainly I'm looking for a good soap/bowl performer (with maybe a 22 or 23mm knot) in the $50-60 range. If there are other good alternatives in that range please let me know as well.

Thanks!

10 2,062
 12-27-2012, 08:24 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The Vulfix 2234 is good for bowl lathering creams but lacks the backbone for hard soaps in my opinion.

45 16,352
 12-27-2012, 08:37 AM
User Info
Ok thank you Phil, good to know. And out of the Prince models, I guess the Finest would be the better bowl/soap option than the premium Silvertip? It's hard to explain, but it always feels weird to me looking at the different Badger grades. Like, why would I want to go for anything but the top level? I guess everything has it's place but since this would be the first brush I've paid more than $20 for I wouldn't want to get the "inferior" model.

10 2,062
 12-27-2012, 08:37 AM
User Info
The Vulfix 2234 is a great brush. I had one for almost a year and just recently sold it to fund another WSP brush purchase. It is an extremely soft and luxurious knot. I could lather both soaps and creams with it, though soaps do take a significantly more loading time. I face lather exclusively and this was just too soft for my liking. It will be great for a bowl latherer though. The Prince range from WSP have relatively shorter lofts along with shorter handles so they might not be as good for bowel lathering; the Monarch range may be much better for you in that regard.

Other options could be the Vintage Blades 2-band brush, an Omega badger, or a Simpson Colonel X2L in Best.

(12-27-2012, 08:37 AM)taborcarn Wrote: Ok thank you Phil, good to know. And out of the Prince models, I guess the Finest would be the better bowl/soap option than the premium Silvertip? It's hard to explain, but it always feels weird to me looking at the different Badger grades. Like, why would I want to go for anything but the top level? I guess everything has it's place but since this would be the first brush I've paid more than $20 for I wouldn't want to get the "inferior" model.

I wouldn't say that either of the Prince brushes are inferior to the other, just different hair from different species of badger. The 3-band silvertip is much finer but also more dense. It's got amazing backbone for how soft it is. It will certainly load soaps well. My only concern for you as a bowl latherer would be comfort due to the shorter lofts and handles. Either of them will load and lather like champs and you'll be getting much better quality than you're paying for. The current sale on the Prince's is an amazing value.

31 7,914
 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM
User Info
Thanks Brian. I did look at the Vintage Blades model as well but I wasn't thrilled about the handle design. It looked like it might be too chunky to be comfortable.

Ha ha, so know I think I'm back to where I started, either looking at the Prince Finest for the Value, or to splurge a little on top and go for the Monarch. I may just have to rely on my good old-fashioned random number generator:

[Image: 1945-washington-quarter.png]

10 2,062
 12-27-2012, 10:05 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I have a Vulfix 660S, which is the same sort of hair. Like the others, I find it very soft and comfortable, but not very firm. It loads fine from all my soaps and creams, and it works well for face lathering if you like painting strokes.

I also just got a WSP Prince in finest. That's a hell of a brush. Between the two, I prefer the WSP.

10 1,858
 12-27-2012, 10:07 AM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 10:05 AM)Songwind Wrote: I also just got a WSP Prince in finest. That's a hell of a brush. Between the two, I prefer the WSP.

Good to know, thanks Eric. That's where I'm leaning now too.

10 2,062
 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have owned a 2234 in super badger , which is an excellent brush , but better suited for shaving creams than soaps , as Phil have told you.I truly like its handle , and the hair was quiet nice , but not a super dense brush.

For you what have explained , I will go for the WSP , which I also own , and I like.

86 7,123
 12-27-2012, 11:23 AM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
For me the difference between the 2234 in Silvertip and the Prince boils down to this:

2234 Silvertip = better handle & less dense knot

Prince = denser knot of better quality hair & less well made handle

I cannot tell any difference between the hair in my 2234 Silvertip, 2235 Super and 376 Super other than the tips if the Silvertip look whiter and there is a noticeable glue bump in the knot if the 2234.

I would, though, be tempted to try and find the extra cash for a Monarch if you can - it's a better brush than both the Prince and 2234 IMHO.

32 638
 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM
User Info
Ok, thanks to the advice of the enablers wonderful friends on this board I have purchased a new brush. Instead of either of the original options I pulled the trigger on the 2-band Monarch. Now comes the hardest part, waiting for delivery!

10 2,062
 12-27-2012, 01:48 PM
User Info
John, good choice, the Monarch in 2-band is a great little brush.

75 20,883
 12-27-2012, 02:16 PM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 01:09 PM)taborcarn Wrote: Ok, thanks to the advice of the enablers wonderful friends on this board I have purchased a new brush. Instead of either of the original options I pulled the trigger on the 2-band Monarch. Now comes the hardest part, waiting for delivery!

Excellent choice! My next custom brush will be using the Super Badger 2-band knot from WSP. I will look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Monarch. Congrats and enjoy.

31 7,914
 12-29-2012, 01:08 PM
User Info
It arrived today! That was really fast, wasn't expecting it until Monday. Going to go give it a test lather now, then try it out tommorow.

[Image: amsjlv.jpg]

Lather shot:

[Image: wl59qw.jpg]

10 2,062
 12-29-2012, 01:48 PM
User Info
Looks great! Congrats. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on its face feel.

31 7,914
 12-30-2012, 09:15 AM
User Info
I shaved with it this morning and my first impression: Wow, I now know what luxury is!

All the comments about it being super soft but still having plenty of backbone were right on the money. I was able to load the triple-milled Arlington puck by hardly pressing on the brush at all. It took a little bit longer to build the fluffy lather I'm used to with this soap but it got there.

Applying the lather on the face is where this really got luxurious. I love my boars, but the experience wasn't even close. Again I used very little pressure on the brush and the lather just flowed.

Suffice it to say, I'm a fan!

10 2,062