12-27-2012, 09:13 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info

This is my first review so please go easy on me.

At the time that I had this brush it was one of three "two-band finest" in my rotation. I used the brush every day for ten days and used it for both face lathering and bowl lathering. I used as many different soaps and creams as I could to see how the brush performed in different circumstances and let me tell you there is not much room for improvement here.

Pros: Very soft tips (virtually no scritch)
Great backbone (plenty of scrub)
Very little splay (which is helpful when face lathering with a big knot)
Very comfortable handle (easy to hold in several ergonomic grips)
Beautiful (I realize this is purely subjective but I love the looks of this brush)
Excellent flow through (can hold enough lather for several passes and painting strokes release lather without any manual manipulation needed)

Cons: It holds a lot of water deep in the knot (this is easy to work around but can make face lathering rather messy or could make for really runny lather if you aren't prepared)
Non-traditional colors (not really bothersome to me, in fact I liked the funky color scheme, but it will definitely be the standout in any brush/shaving display)
The base of the brush is not flat (doesn't affect anything, but I feel it is worth mentioning/ also, this is a prototype so the handle may have been used since the brush isn't being sold as a premium)
The knot did lose about one hair per shave, not a big concern on a new brush and there is plenty to spare so unless this continues it is hardly worth mentioning.

My take:

This brush combined the soft tips I experience with my LiJun brush combined with the density and scrub I get from my SOC badger. It really is the best of both worlds. It had no problem loading up hard soaps, face lathering sticks, nor working up a beautiful bounty of creamy lather in a bowl with various creams. I had planned on rotating my 2-band finest brushes on a daily basis to really get a direct and live comparison but I couldn't stop using the WSP/Elite brush. I am not aware of pricing or availability of this brush and I am guessing that it is more expensive than any of my current brushes, but I could definitely see getting myself one of these with a good sales month or for my birthday in June. Thanks for the opportunity to try it out and hopefully my review makes some kind of sense.

128 2,460
 12-27-2012, 09:35 AM
User Info
Excellent review and pictures Dave! Your thoughts are really making me anticipate my turn with it. It will be the largest knot I've every used so I'm really glad to here that it didn't splay too much.

Thanks again! Thumbup

31 7,944
 12-27-2012, 09:55 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Nice looking brush. I'm excited to compare it to my Prince to see how the two hair types differ.

10 1,858
 12-27-2012, 10:44 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Dave , very well done , sir ! Great pics and straight to the point , I like that.And yes , your review makes a lot of sense , thanks for making it.

It seems that those WSP knots are really extra packed with hair .Thats very nice indeed.It seems also that it doesnt splays too much , which its a thing many of us , appreciate it.

86 7,132
 12-27-2012, 12:24 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(12-27-2012, 10:44 AM)Teiste Wrote: Dave , very well done , sir ! Great pics and straight to the point , I like that.And yes , your review makes a lot of sense , thanks for making it.

It seems that those WSP knots are really extra packed with hair .Thats very nice indeed.It seems also that it doesnt splays too much , which its a thing many of us , appreciate it.

That is quite the compliment coming from you! Thank you gentlemen for the kind words!

128 2,460
 12-27-2012, 01:14 PM
User Info
Dave, wonderful review!

76 20,924