12-27-2012, 10:22 AM
User Info
Lord razors has an interesting cross section of products.
They are better known in the Traditional Shaving world for blades under the names, Lord, Big Ben, Asco and Shark.

These brands can be seen here.
http://www.razorslord.com/Brands/

Lord also manufactures a clone of the EJ89/R89 head for their L6 razor. This razor is very popular for both its price and performance as an entry level razor, however that razor has been reviewed and discussed frequently on the forums and those reviews can be seen elsewhere.

What brought me to this test was that someone recently brought up the Lord Racer R314 razor and asked if I knew anything about it. I explained that for some time I have been planning on acquiring and reviewing this razor so here is that review.

[Image: RacerR314Posting_zpse1e4b11b.png]

The Lord Racer R314 (the same razor is also marketed as the Lord L111 / Model 204) is a combination plastic and aluminum razor. The packaging is simple card stock with a plastic wrap, and it comes with one Racer blade. The body and base plate are plastic (including the locking mechanism) and the head is Aluminum. It is a very light razor with the center of balance just slightly forward of the blue handle within the baseplate assembly. This means that most of the weight is distributed at the head, which is a plus for a razor of this type. This razor is a guard bar type which is a part of the baseplate and head cap locking mechanism.
(Author's note that this razor is not to be confused with the less expensive Lord Click razor.)

Opening the razor is easy. The sides of the head cap has two grips which you hold while turning the handle. The blade, when inserted, fits inside the head cap so that the edges are protected by the grips. That allows for safe opening and closing of the razor. The head cap unscrews fully and is seen in the image loaded with the blade. Once the blade is loaded in the head cap, the head cap screws into the baseplate assembly until the blade and the locking mechanism makes a clicking sound. Then the razor is ready. The geometry of the head leaves the razor blade flat with quite a bit of exposure, as you can see in the image. I was expecting a rough shave ahead so I thought a careful blade selection was in order. Normally I will use a Big Ben blade as my testing blade due to its smoothness. However, I wanted to use a blade from a different manufacturer for this first test. I also wanted to use a slightly more aggressive blade than the Big Ben. With those things in mind, I chose the Personna Red for this test since I am familiar with its properties and cutting characteristics.

The first days shave was very surprising. The razor felt in the hand much like a Schick Krona, only lighter. I thought that a razor of this class would be harsh or uneven. My planned shave was two face passes and a single pass head shave. The cream I used was WARS and my lather was made up in the scuttle for a bowl lathering day. The first face pass went well, no pulling or tugging, simply a nice clean pass. The second face pass went quickly and the results were very close to BBS. The head shave also went amazingly clean and smooth. There were no small weepers (which happens for me when I use too aggressive of a razor) to be seen. A nice clean shave.

I used the same combination on day two including the WARS cream and I got the same great results. On the third day, I changed up to a different soap (unlisted for a future review) and found the shave to be just as clean and efficient. At that point, I decided to dispose of the Personna Red, even though I think I could have gotten a least another day out of it, however I was testing the razor and not the blade. At the end of the testing I would place this razor at a medium to slightly aggressive on the scale of razors. It is far less aggressive than Gillette Open Combs (OCs), the Cadet / RazoRock / Matador OCs, and some other razors which are famous or infamous for aggressiveness.

This razor provides excellent general performance for the price point of 8 U.S.D. without tax or shipping. It is not a razor that will be lauded for its looks or pedigree. This was not an endurance test to see if there are any physical weaknesses that would could occur in the long run. I did note the fact that the head cap is of average thickness and the locking mechanism is made of plastic so that could (not necessarily will) be an issue over the long run in terms of tolerances and / or breakage in repeated use.

If this razor is able to stand up to long term use, and I do believe that it should be able to do that reasonably, then it is a very good bargain. Please note that they are getting harder to obtain and at this time I do not see a large number of suppliers who maintain this in stock. If you want one you may have to look around, but for most shavers it would be worth having one even as a travel razor.

Based on the testing, I would describe this razor like a Krona but lighter and somewhat more aggressive, which is a good combination. I think this is a worthy razor to have in one's shave den.

1 2,827
 12-27-2012, 10:29 AM
User Info
Interesting review, thanks for posting it!

10 2,062
 12-27-2012, 10:46 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Excellent review. Thank you very much.

100 12,448
 12-27-2012, 11:06 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Shoe Box Shaving has the Racer in all colors however, the minimum order is $15 without shipping.

100 12,448
 12-27-2012, 11:44 AM
User Info
Much the same result I found when I reviewed it a while ago.

I think the main reason for the level of aggressiveness displayed by this razor is the flat blade angle and the fairly large blade gap - I think it's a very good razor for the money.

It can be had for as little as 3.75USD if you're comfortable buying from Turkey - granted, the shipping will be higher than buying from a domestic source for those that have one available.

3 3,580
 12-27-2012, 01:13 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Great review Garry. Thank you!

14 870
 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM
User Info
Thanks for the information on the razor, Gary!

75 20,883
 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 11:44 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Much the same result I found when I reviewed it a while ago.

I think the main reason for the level of aggressiveness displayed by this razor is the flat blade angle and the fairly large blade gap - I think it's a very good razor for the money.

It can be had for as little as 3.75USD if you're comfortable buying from Turkey - granted, the shipping will be higher than buying from a domestic source for those that have one available.

Excellent review and I liked your comparison and contrast to the Yuma. I wanted to go through BestShave because of the price, but they have been out of stock for some time. Pity, because they are a good supplier.

I got a couple of these from Gary over at Shoebox because it was time for my end of the year shaving cream purchases.

1 2,827
 12-31-2012, 11:56 AM
User Info
Thanks for the great review.
These available on ebay (look for 'Lord L111'). Every now and then that seller posts some comments on B&B calling it a 'Pills Clone'.

6 808
 12-31-2012, 07:27 PM
User Info
(12-31-2012, 11:56 AM)Galhatz Wrote: Thanks for the great review.
These available on ebay (look for 'Lord L111'). Every now and then that seller posts some comments on B&B calling it a 'Pills Clone'.

I have seen that seller's postings on this razor as well. Rolleyes

1 2,827
 01-01-2013, 06:59 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Gary, great review and interesting performance comparisons.

1 3,507
 01-01-2013, 07:42 AM
User Info
(01-01-2013, 06:59 AM)Howler Wrote: Gary, great review and interesting performance comparisons.

Thanks!

1 2,827
 01-02-2013, 07:45 AM
User Info
Nice review. I like the packaging with the picture of a runner...

0 140
 01-16-2013, 06:59 PM
User Info
 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review! A worthy travel razor perhaps, given the modest investment...

91 17,875
 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM
User Info
 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Interesting review, looking to your follow-up in regards to the endurance.

1 3,507
 01-18-2013, 02:57 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Great review. As I was reading I instantly thought it sounded like it would make a great travel razor. Never know what these TSA guys are going to make you throw out these days.

Thanks for the review.

14 1,177
 01-23-2013, 04:11 AM
User Info
[Image: mhu9sKe.jpg]

1 2,827
 01-10-2014, 04:02 PM
User Info
[Image: 11879166936_8dc561bf7e_h.jpg]

Still a fairly aggressive but manageable razor.

1 2,827