12-27-2012, 10:44 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I'm about two years late in jumping on this band wagon and I realize there have been multiple reviews on this razor on just about every forum out there and that is why I have always wanted one. Well, the opportunity presented itself and I finally bought one.

With the aesthetics and quality of build, I was not disappointed. It is everything I thought it would be, a piece of quality craftsmanship.

Now I've read all the reviews about how mild it is and how folks were getting rid of them for one of the more aggressive stainless razors out there. Heck, that is how I got this one, Obie said it was to mild for him.

Well, I like mild razors so I had to have one, and I have not been disappointed. I believe blade experimentation and angle practice will accomplish my goal.

Will it ever replace my Schick Injectors? NEVER, but it will be my one and only DE razor.

173 23,490
 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM
User Info
nice pickup Johnny. it is also one of my all-time favourite razors.

the build quality, box, knurling, blade covered top cap and ultra smooth shave make it a winner for me.

i really enjoy using it. and when i do, i usually go in 30day spurts. it's hard to have another razor bump it out of use.

i get a BBS in 3 passes, every single time, with no irritation. just the feedback of it mowing down the whiskers.

once you get the slightly different angle down, just a bit steeper then a normal DE, it's an absolutely amazing razor and i see no need to even experiment with any other Stainless Razor.

8 2,718
 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM
User Info
Best DE out there.

97 615
 12-27-2012, 11:05 AM
User Info
Try it with a variety of blades, Johnny. If you want, I'll send you some vintage ones to try in it; they seem to work the best for me.

183 12,002
 12-27-2012, 11:06 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(12-27-2012, 11:05 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Try it with a variety of blades, Johnny. If you want, I'll send you some vintage ones to try in it; they seem to work the best for me.

I will send you a PM John. Thanks

173 23,490
 12-27-2012, 01:03 PM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I'm glad that you guys dig it and I wish you the best but I can't seem to win with this one.

I agree that it is an amazing piece of shaving art, probably the finest example of the SS form IMO but I have yet to experience the Pils.

I initially tried at least 30 shaves with the razor and could not dial it in no matter what angle(s) I tried. I then lent the razor to a family member and he too could not get it to work for him.
I have a heavy, wiry beard and he is fair skinned with very light stubble so I am even more mystified about this razor.

I've recently tried it again for two shaves so far and while it was quite a bit better if I focused immensely on the angle, I still was not able to achieve what I can with every other razor that I've tried and I've tried over 60 examples of modern and vintage DE and SE razors to this point.
I do not want to shim it based on principal. I feel that I should be able to get a great shave with it without any modification.

I wanna love this thing so much. Any and all help would be much appreciated!

Johnny, please report back after you've become comfortable the razor and again, I wish you many happy and healthy shaves with it!

Eric

6 905
 12-27-2012, 01:11 PM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 01:03 PM)EHV Wrote: I wanna love this thing so much. Any and all help would be much appreciated!

start with the top cap on your cheek and slowly lower the angle until it just starts cutting the whiskers.

this is the angle you want.

i find Short Strokes were best with the feather, as opposed to long strokes with my Slim (out of context, this could sound really really bad Blush)

8 2,718
 12-27-2012, 01:30 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(12-27-2012, 01:03 PM)EHV Wrote: I'm glad that you guys dig it and I wish you the best but I can't seem to win with this one.

I agree that it is an amazing piece of shaving art, probably the finest example of the SS form IMO but I have yet to experience the Pils.

I initially tried at least 30 shaves with the razor and could not dial it in no matter what angle(s) I tried. I then lent the razor to a family member and he too could not get it to work for him.
I have a heavy, wiry beard and he is fair skinned with very light stubble so I am even more mystified about this razor.

I've recently tried it again for two shaves so far and while it was quite a bit better if I focused immensely on the angle, I still was not able to achieve what I can with every other razor that I've tried and I've tried over 60 examples of modern and vintage DE and SE razors to this point.
I do not want to shim it based on principal. I feel that I should be able to get a great shave with it without any modification.

I wanna love this thing so much. Any and all help would be much appreciated!

Johnny, please report back after you've become comfortable the razor and again, I wish you many happy and healthy shaves with it!

Eric

I am with you on this. I tried everything I could to like it, to love it, to caress it, but it wouldn't play ball. Yes, I tried radical angles; yes I tried all kinds of blades; yes I tried every trick in the book re lathering, buffing, blah blah. Just too mild; too much trouble; too much money. I swapped it for cash and a chunky Merkur HD which offered a no-nonsense, clean, crisp, manly shave. I don't regret it. My only regret is that Feather hasn't designed a more aggressive DE that isn't like going at your beard with cotton gloves and a wet lettuce. Not worth the money IMHO. As I say, I wanted to like it and I tried, how I tried, but ...meh... A shave should be enjoyed, not regretted.

0 1,621
 12-27-2012, 01:40 PM
User Info
i had the same experience with it and i even bought it twice to see if i could get on with it, but could not. i am determined to give it another go and will get another soon to try it and shim it as a last resort. i also tried many DE blades, angles, slicker lather, but with my coarse beard, still no success. i will hopefully report back when i give it a third go.
i hope all of you who have it enjoy it, immensely.
Eric, just for your information, personally, the Pils is the most beautifully crafted DE that i have seen. None of the others really compare. However, they are not the greatest shavers; fine, but far too expensive for how they perform, in my opinion.

75 20,883
 12-27-2012, 01:45 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I enjoy mine as a mild shaver, but recently found out you can get iKon base plates to work with it (per iKon). I bought their OSS base plate and now I feel like I have 3 different razors:
the original mild shaver, a more efficient SB and a medium aggressive OC. The iKon base plates have the same look as the Feather. You get more flexibility from a fine stainless steel DE.

16 542
 12-27-2012, 01:51 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(12-27-2012, 01:40 PM)celestino Wrote: i had the same experience with it and i even bought it twice to see if i could get on with it, but could not. i am determined to give it another go and will get another soon to try it and shim it as a last resort. i also tried many DE blades, angles, slicker lather, but with my coarse beard, still no success. i will hopefully report back when i give it a third go.
i hope all of you who have it enjoy it, immensely.
Eric, just for your information, personally, the Pils is the most beautifully crafted DE that i have seen. None of the others really compare. However, they are not the greatest shavers; fine, but far too expensive for how they perform, in my opinion.

Shame, all that expense and having to resort to a shim. I mean, a cheap Gillette tech fat handle shaves better. You could pick one up for $20, no shim needed Smile Personally, I think the AS is some kind of a fetish object. Sure they look great, feel great in the hand, blah blah. Those who buy them want to assume they are great shavers, but my experience (and I am not alone) suggests otherwise. Maybe if you have a soft downy beard it's right for you? Perhaps they shave smooth, sparsely haired Japanese/Asian faces perfectly well, too. Either way, that's not what my beard is like and I don't want to shave my face with something I have to mess about with, put shims in, etc, not at around $200. I just want to shave my face and enjoy it without the conceited, glowing pride that I have just used the so-called finest shaver in the known universe while the money falls out of the hole burned in my pocket.

0 1,621
 12-27-2012, 02:19 PM
User Info
Shaun, i understand what you mean. The first two times where out of curiosity and i did not lose much money on it as they sell quite easily for not much of a loss. i would never buy it new!
i am getting one for even cheaper, now, and will lose no money on it, but was curious to see if the shim works well with it.
i have shaved with quite a few Techs and they just do not work for me. i have tried many, and with shims, but they just did not work with my skin and beard.
i do use a shim in my Weber DLC and this is the smoothest DE that i have tired and very efficient with the shim. i have no problem using one shim as i look at is as just a thicker blade, nothing more.

75 20,883
 12-27-2012, 02:27 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
I like this razor a lot!
It's mild, yet very effective with a good blade and the angle dialed in.

5 447
 12-27-2012, 02:46 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
This razor did not work well for me at all either. I'm glad it works for you though Johnny! Celestino my friend, I wish you all the success possible in your third go around!! Boa sorte! Hopefully I spelled that right... Biggrin

14 870
 12-27-2012, 04:59 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(12-27-2012, 01:51 PM)Shaun Wrote: Personally, I think the AS is some kind of a fetish object. Sure they look great, feel great in the hand, blah blah. Those who buy them want to assume they are great shavers, but my experience (and I am not alone) suggests otherwise.

I just want to shave my face and enjoy it without the conceited, glowing pride that I have just used the so-called finest shaver in the known universe while the money falls out of the hole burned in my pocket.

I can assure you sir I have no fetish, do not assume anything, am not one bit conceited, and the only thing on earth I have glowing pride in is my family.

And, anyone with common sense knows the finest shaver in the known universe is a $5.00 Schick Injector.Biggrin

173 23,490
 12-27-2012, 05:12 PM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 01:51 PM)Shaun Wrote: Shame, all that expense and having to resort to a shim. I mean, a cheap Gillette tech fat handle shaves better. You could pick one up for $20, no shim needed Smile Personally, I think the AS is some kind of a fetish object. Sure they look great, feel great in the hand, blah blah. Those who buy them want to assume they are great shavers, but my experience (and I am not alone) suggests otherwise. Maybe if you have a soft downy beard it's right for you? Perhaps they shave smooth, sparsely haired Japanese/Asian faces perfectly well, too. Either way, that's not what my beard is like and I don't want to shave my face with something I have to mess about with, put shims in, etc, not at around $200. I just want to shave my face and enjoy it without the conceited, glowing pride that I have just used the so-called finest shaver in the known universe while the money falls out of the hole burned in my pocket.

Not everyone has to use a shim and if you like the Tech than the AS-D1 is the best engineered Tech ever made. It's quality rivals every other stainless razor made now in construction and presentation. The price is comparable to all other stainless razors. Is it worth $175 ? Who knows are some brushes worth $200 or creams worth $60. Ask my wife and she will give you an emphatic "NO".

I like mild razors and the AS-D1 is a fantastic shaver straight from the box. I enjoy owning it. Realize there is a lot of conceit in calling peoples motives ill advised and foolish in owning an object that they paid for with their own hard earned money, not yours.

2 697
 12-27-2012, 06:08 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Well...I wouldn't go so far as to say it shames all other razors. I have owned it at one time and honestly my Tradere SB is in no way shamed by it. :-)

14 870
 12-27-2012, 06:11 PM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 06:08 PM)Attila Wrote: Well...I wouldn't go so far as to say it shames all other razors. I have owned it at one time and honestly my Tradere SB is in no way shamed by it. :-)

Shamed is to strong a word, I agree. Maybe envious would be better Smile

2 697
 12-27-2012, 07:30 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Hi Johnny,

Congrats on acquiring the Feather. May it shave you well.

I find it to be a very effective shaver, requiring a very precise blade angle to work its best. When I come back to it from using my other razors, I sometimes find it takes me a shave or two to get back that blade angle. In my hands, the Feather delivers an irritation-free, DFS to BBS shave every time.

I received my Feather as a gift from a loved one. So I neither feel conceited nor proud when I use it. Nor do I feel money falling out of a hole burned in my pocket.

43 1,690
 12-27-2012, 08:08 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(12-27-2012, 06:11 PM)SteelTown Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 06:08 PM)Attila Wrote: Well...I wouldn't go so far as to say it shames all other razors. I have owned it at one time and honestly my Tradere SB is in no way shamed by it. :-)

Shamed is to strong a word, I agree. Maybe envious would be better Smile

Honestly, I find the build quality on both of them to be faultless. Though I would give the nod to the Tradere SB overall just because of the fully machined head and unique shape of it. The Feather head, although it is a pristine specimen is still a sintered product. I trust solid machined stainless steel to last for generations whereas when something is sintered and coated...well lets just say you don't want to chip that coating.

I also own an iKon OSS. It uses that same manufacturing process for the head. I do try to make sure I don't bang it around too much...not that I do that with any of my razors. Biggrin

14 870