12-27-2012, 11:42 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1260216.JPG?m=1356635196]

If I have to choose only one handle style/model , without any hesitation (well , yes maybe some , I also love the Semogue 1305/1250/1800 handle...) I will choose the Rooney 1 series handle , being the 1 medium , or 1/2 as we sometimes refer on the forums, my favorite one.And in horn imitation would be the best.

I asked AShaperRazor if I could try these brushes (I haven't buy them ) due to their handles , since , as many of you know , I don't like brushes with knots bigger than 24 mm.I saw these handles , and they remind me of the good Rooney 1 series style , and I wanted to try them , to see how they will compare.And let me tell you , that this style of handle is an excellent one , and it could compete in ergonomic and elegance with the Rooney 1 series handles.

Here a pic with a Rooney 1/2 finest badger :

[Image: P1260217.JPG?m=1356635740]

and here a pic with a Truefitt and Hill (Rooney 1/1) silvertip :

[Image: P1260218.JPG?m=1356635740]

Without being a mimic of the Rooney handles , these new ones are very close to the Rooneys , well made and finish , no flaws , so comfortable to hold , heavy , and very nice horn imitation patter.Yes , I truly like them , and I must say I never seen a handle with this shape/style before , so this is a plus for WSP.

But I guess you don't want me to write only about the handles , and will like to know about the knots/hair.I have to say that I don't like brushes with knots over 24 mm , so according to that , take my impressions for what they are , only impressions from a guy who likes to face latherer with smaller knots.

These Chubby brushes comes with two band badger and super silvertip HMW. I think we all know what is all about with those types of badger hairs , but let me write my impressions of them (again) :

Super Silvertip (HMW)

[Image: WSP%20super%20silvertip-1895155132.jpg?m=1356634676]

This is one brush that we can consider "luxurious" , due to the extra softness of its tips , and the extra hair packed on the knot.If we add the good flow we all expect from silvertip hair , and a good backbone , then we have a brush it could be loved by many wet shavers out there.

This brush has (approx) the following measures :
  • 26 mm knot
  • 53 mm loft
  • 100 mm total height

I like that the knot is extra packed with hair , as you can see better in this pic :

[Image: P1260154.JPG?m=1356636361]

so if gives you a very pleasant massage on the face while using it with circular strokes.

I also like that it doesn't splays that much (blooms) , so , for me , its not that big , even when it is big for my personal taste.

But due to the extra density , the brush needs more product , and eats soaps and creams with an ease proper of these kind of "Chubby/Stubby" brushes.It also could hold lather on the center of the brush.

I do only face latherer , but this brush could be use for bowl lathering too with no problems regarding its size.

I will say that this is pure luxury , with the add of a new handle style and very well made and finish.

Super badger two band

[Image: WSP%20finest%20badger.jpg?m=1356634766]

This brush is very , very close to a Rooney 2XL super badger two band I have tried in the past , and thats good.I truly liked that Rooney , and this brush is close enough to it.

As the super silvertip , this is well packed with hair , as you can see here :

[Image: P1260150.JPG?m=1356636727]

and as the super silvertip , this brush has the same measures (approx) , of a 24 mm knot , 53 mm loft and 100 total height.

The tips are almost gel like style , being extra soft , but no curling , like with other 2 band badger styles.They feel softer than the super silvertip , but the super silvertip feels like "velvet" , something I'm not very good to explain.I mean , both brushes have extra soft tips , but different feeling (hope that makes sense).
Also this brush has an extra firm backbone , very firm , I will say , but keeping some flexibility , but the flow is much less pronounced than the super silvertip version.Also doesn't splays at all , so it feels more like a 24 mm knot with extra hair , than a 26 mm one.

Its shape is bulb and I would have prefer it a more of a fan shape , like the Rooney 2XL.Is this a problem when face lathering with it?Well , no , but you can notice that its a bulb shaped knot.

Makes lather with such an ease , but it not a lather hog , I must say.Also , as the super silvertip , it can be used for bowl lathering too with no problem.

Those are my very first impressions of these brushes.I truly like the handle and I will love to see it on models with a 22 or a 24 mm knot.These Chubbies I'm sure will make the delights of guys who like larger brushes and are looking for quality and luxurious feeling. Both of them are going to provide that , and if we add a handle which is very ergonomic , elegant and not seen before (at least , I haven't) , we truly have good brushes for the money here.

As I said , in my case, I will wait for the 22/24 mm versions (fingers crossed...)

86 7,123
 12-27-2012, 12:55 PM
User Info
Are these actually called the "Chubby" series just like Simpsons?

129 6,685
 12-27-2012, 01:08 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Another great review Teiste.

They're becoming my favourite reading on all the forums I frequent. Smile

32 638
 12-27-2012, 01:53 PM
User Info
Great review, Teiste, and i am awaiting mine in 2-band!
Lee has done a great job with these and his other brushes.

75 20,883
 12-27-2012, 03:56 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-27-2012, 12:55 PM)wingdo Wrote: Are these actually called the "Chubby" series just like Simpsons?

No , I don't think so.I just named it "Chubby" , but Im sure that they will hold another name.

(12-27-2012, 01:08 PM)ajc347 Wrote: Another great review Teiste.

They're becoming my favourite reading on all the forums I frequent. Smile

Thank you , sir.

(12-27-2012, 01:53 PM)celestino Wrote: Great review, Teiste, and i am awaiting mine in 2-band!
Lee has done a great job with these and his other brushes.

Looking forward to read your impressions about it.

86 7,123
 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM
User Info
Teiste, another stellar review with great pictures. They sound just wonderful!

The 26mm knot is getting into my territory, as I prefer large brushes.

63 2,128
 12-27-2012, 11:44 PM
User Info
Nice post T and quite a looker there Lee.

I'm looking forward seeing to the next gen of WSP brushes.

7 1,179
 12-28-2012, 12:25 AM
User Info
Great review, T !

I have never tried this new brand of brushes, but may do so in the upcoming months.

Who is behind this brand ?

I guess you could say that I'm into mid to larger brushes, as I like a knot size ranging from 22-25 mm in 3-Banders and 23-28 in 2-Banders (okay there are exceptions to these rules as I just found out my brand new Thäter 2-Band 26 mm Fan has a gigantic huge bloom equalling that of my Rooney 3XL, which is a 30 mm brush in 2-Band Fan)

I'm starting to like and prefer a bit smaller brushes, because I feel they provide better control for a person with a slim face that face lathers exclusively.
I no longer see a reason for 29+ mm knots for face lathering, it's simply not practical IMHO Smile

Where can these new brushes be bought ?

22 5,062
 12-28-2012, 12:44 AM
User Info
dear claus- seems soon-to-be from wsp.

7 1,625
 12-28-2012, 07:05 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-28-2012, 12:25 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Great review, T !

I have never tried this new brand of brushes, but may do so in the upcoming months.

Who is behind this brand ?

I guess you could say that I'm into mid to larger brushes, as I like a knot size ranging from 22-25 mm in 3-Banders and 23-28 in 2-Banders (okay there are exceptions to these rules as I just found out my brand new Thäter 2-Band 26 mm Fan has a gigantic huge bloom equalling that of my Rooney 3XL, which is a 30 mm brush in 2-Band Fan)

I'm starting to like and prefer a bit smaller brushes, because I feel they provide better control for a person with a slim face that face lathers exclusively.
I no longer see a reason for 29+ mm knots for face lathering, it's simply not practical IMHO Smile

Where can these new brushes be bought ?

The Illuminati , of course.Wink

Member ASharperRazor , better known as Lee for most of us.

86 7,123
 12-28-2012, 07:35 PM
User Info
Excellent review as always.

26 mm in a natural is a large brush. Lots of luxury and a sharp handle as well.

Are these knots hand packed? When they get to this dimension and density they are usually hand packed.

1 2,827
 12-29-2012, 04:33 AM
User Info
Nice review, Mr. T.
I'm not quite fond of the other WSP brush handles, but this one looks very nice indeed. Cool

2 5,532