12-27-2012, 06:12 PM
User Info
Well, I decided that the first brush I was going to make was going to be a knot that I have had experience with in another handle, but had not been able to write about. That knot is a 24.5 mm extra dense Silvertip from Ace Shaving. I have had good success with their knots in the past and decided to test a couple of these out.

I have tried most the knot types that come from the TGN and some from other sellers, but this knot was different. It was packed extremely tight (supposedly hand packed versus machined) and did not have the strong coloration of other knots. It was also softer to the touch, even upon arrival.

The first one I placed in a modified VDH handle which was sanded down and polished until it glowed. The knot after being cleaned was a very thirsty knot that soaked up water well and generated lots and lots of moist lather. It got better, when I applied it to my face it was soft. Much softer than TGN super badger, but still retained a level of firmness. I had made that loft at 53 mm which provided a slight amount of flop but it was luxurious. I did some additional testing with a plastic clamp and found about 49 mm was the level I preferred whether face or bowl lathering. I thought, well I have one more of these and when I get the chance I will make it around 49 mm.

So this week I ran across some pieces of wooden hardware that looked like the right size if modified to make handles. So I took some of the hardware home and began using my Dremel tool to make the necessary modifications to the items. Soon I had the basic handle forms and then it was a matter of choosing stains and base pieces, either in wood, plastic or metal.

I experimented with various stain methods which caused the loss of a couple of handles to go on top of the ones that were lost in the cutting and drilling process. At the end I had several possibilities to choose from. In the end, I decided to go with a mixed pattern stain to approximate the look of an apple (not just apple colored wood) for this particular one. The handles were coated three times in Minwax Polycrylic including the inside.

Here are views of the finished brush before and after the bloom.

[Image: 14424470366_5dfe716dac_b.jpg]

[Image: 14424470036_313cc35418_b.jpg]

The handle is very comfortable and I am easily able to bowl or face lather with it so now I am complete with this brush.

With that in mind, after making my selection, I have a question for myself about the other handles below. I am wondering to myself should I just go ahead and sell them on e-Bay, or just hold them for later? I am normally on the buying side of things and do far less selling of items. Once it comes into my den, it does not leave very fast, if at all.

Here they are view against a Vie Long brush for a size reference. Each one on the extreme end are in stained in maple. The three on the left are cherry stained. The three on the right are apple stained. The handles can take without modification 20 to 22 mm knots and with modification can go out to 25 mm.

1 2,827
 12-27-2012, 06:34 PM
User Info
Gary, wow, those are very nice handles!

75 20,883
 12-27-2012, 06:37 PM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 06:34 PM)celestino Wrote: Gary, wow, those are very nice handles!

Thanks! I wanted to have some choices for that knot, so choices I made.

1 2,827
 12-27-2012, 07:55 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I swear I could smell apples when reading about your creations!

91 17,795
 12-27-2012, 08:00 PM
User Info
(12-27-2012, 07:55 PM)ben74 Wrote: I swear I could smell apples when reading about your creations!

Thanks! That is why I settle in on that color pattern (multi stain mix) for my final choice. That badger knot is a gem as well. Soft! Biggrin

1 2,827
 12-27-2012, 08:03 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very nice Gary.

173 23,488
 12-27-2012, 08:18 PM
User Info
Gary, I particularly like the handles with wider, thinner base indentations.

47 1,270
 12-27-2012, 09:15 PM
User Info
As always...nice work Gary.

5 938
 12-28-2012, 03:23 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Very nice Gary.

12 743
 12-28-2012, 08:47 AM
User Info
(12-28-2012, 03:23 AM)oscar11 Wrote: Very nice Gary.

Thanks!

I failed to show the bottoms of the handles yesterday. A couple of people who wanted some handles for projects contacted me, so here are the remaining handles.

[Image: bottoms_zps135e1a9d.jpg]

1 2,827
 12-28-2012, 10:13 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(12-27-2012, 06:12 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: So this week I ran across some pieces of wooden hardware that looked like the right size if modified to make handles. So I took some of the hardware home and began using my Dremel tool to make the necessary modifications to the items. Soon I had the basic handle forms and then it was a matter of choosing stains and base pieces, either in wood, plastic or metal.

Hi Gary

Wow! you shaped those handles with a Dremel, you must have some crazy mad skills with that tool to enable you to produce such fine looking pieces Thumbsup

What wood(s) did you use to make the handles from?

Take care, Mike

ps Now I fully understand why you recommended I look into using a Dremel for shaving brush work...

23 1,872
 12-28-2012, 10:23 AM
User Info
(12-28-2012, 10:13 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(12-27-2012, 06:12 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: So this week I ran across some pieces of wooden hardware that looked like the right size if modified to make handles. So I took some of the hardware home and began using my Dremel tool to make the necessary modifications to the items. Soon I had the basic handle forms and then it was a matter of choosing stains and base pieces, either in wood, plastic or metal.

Hi Gary

Wow! you shaped those handles with a Dremel, you must have some crazy mad skills with that tool to enable you to produce such fine looking pieces Thumbsup

What wood(s) did you use to make the handles from?

Take care, Mike

ps Now I fully understand why you recommended I look into using a Dremel for shaving brush work...

Mike, I took some existing furniture knobs and other piece parts from a local hardware store and altered them to accept various knot sizes and to accept the bases at the end. I am learning woodworking the hard way, on the fly!

I have been finding all sorts of items that can be "converted" into brush handles using simple Dremel tools and a regular power drill. I like to find alternative looks in handles, so I keep my eyes open for new possibilities.

1 2,827
 12-28-2012, 11:57 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Wow...absulutely beautiful handles Gary. I really like how they are finished on the bottom too.

14 870
 12-29-2012, 10:40 AM
User Info
(12-28-2012, 11:57 AM)Attila Wrote: Wow...absulutely beautiful handles Gary. I really like how they are finished on the bottom too.

Thank you!

1 2,827
 12-29-2012, 06:13 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Gary , thank you so much for showing us those handles , and if you are not going to re knot them , let them go.

How is the Ace shaving silvertip knot?Does it has a strong backbone?What about its flow?

86 7,123
 12-29-2012, 06:31 PM
User Info
(12-29-2012, 06:13 PM)Teiste Wrote: Gary , thank you so much for showing us those handles , and if you are not going to re knot them , let them go.

How is the Ace shaving silvertip knot?Does it has a strong backbone?What about its flow?

Teiste, those are brand new made handles. Never a knot was in them. I have just made these and I am working on a couple of more. An experiment.
Some of them are finding good homes as I write. I will give an update later.

As to this knot. It is very soft and extremely smooth. The backbone is medium simply due to the size and packing of the knot. It has good flow for a knot of that density. This is the most densely packed knot in my collection. This one is far different in quality than any of the "to the public" knots sold. This is the second brush I have made with this one and I have a couple of people who have asked me to do some work on using my new build handles or restoring existing handles with this knot.

1 2,827
 12-29-2012, 06:34 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(12-29-2012, 06:31 PM)GDCarrington Wrote:
(12-29-2012, 06:13 PM)Teiste Wrote: Gary , thank you so much for showing us those handles , and if you are not going to re knot them , let them go.

It is very soft. The backbone is medium simply due to the size and packing of the knot. It has good flow for a knot of that thickness. This is the most densely packed knot in my collection. This one is far different in quality than any of the "to the public" knots sold.

Thats very interesting , Gary..now , I want to use one of those 24 mm knots...Facepalm

86 7,123
 01-01-2013, 07:41 AM
User Info
I shaved using this brush today. It is a lather hog, but the bigger badger brushes tend to be. As with my 30 mm Finest, I just used more product and enjoyed. With WARS it produced a nice lather. This is a very soft knot and it is perfect for the luxury paint stroke. Nice brush to use for the first time on the first day of the new year.

1 2,827
 01-08-2013, 07:34 PM
User Info
 01-09-2013, 05:57 PM
User Info