12-28-2012, 10:22 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen:

Through the years I have nudged a number of friends, acquaintances and strangers into the world of wet shaving with the straight razor or the double edge. A 95% success rate calls for a tap on my shoulder.

In recent years, my family especially has benefited from this genuine effort to embrace the delights of proper shaving. No success with the straight razor — I really have not pushed it — but a jolly good show with the double edge. Every family member will have a lifetime supply of shaving brush, soap or cream, DE blade, styptic pencil, alum, lather bowl, and so on. So here is the account for the family:

1. The dearly beloved received a 1964 Gillette Super Speed flare tip. I picked this up at a flea market and restored it to a shiny marvel of a mild shaver. She required no training, since years ago she had used her father's DE razor. Her starting blade is the Personna Red Pack, with the Gillette Yellow next in line. I am working on her to switch to a brush — her choice of any of my silver tips.

2. My younger daughter received a DE with the Edwin Jagger DE 89 shave head and the Merkur 15C handle. She loves it — tailor-made just for her. Silver tip Thater brush. Maca Root cream. The Art of Shaving pre-shave oil will soon be replaced with Castle Forbes pre-shave. I also trained her.

3. My old daughter is slowly coming along. Thus far she has selected my British Knack (white handle), although she has a pick of any of my DE razors, including the Gillette Red Tip.

4. Son-in-law #1 has the Merkur 34C, Personna Red Pack and Gillette Yellow blades, silver tip brush, Arko unscented cream and Maca Root. He shares the lather bowl with my daughter, as well as the metal razor rack. The brush is silver tip Thater.

5. Son-in-law #2 has the Edwin Jagger "barley" with Gillette Yellows and Derby blades. The brush is a silver tip Edwin Jagger. A handsome latte cup for lather bowl.

6. My two grandsons (Max, 4 years old, and Henry "Blue Eyes," 6 months), for when they grow up and become gentlemen shavers, will each have a Gillette Aristocrat, a Fatboy and a variety of straight razors and DE razors, plus all my silver tip brushes.

I can give an account of what my friends have received, but the kitchen awaits my visit on this last Friday of 2012, with the whole family around. Tonight's menu: Assyrian Dolma (wrapped grape leaves with stuffing to die for), plain yogurt topping, drizzled with a mixture of sauteed onion, garlic, paprika and tomato paste in olive oil. Also a ton of fragrant and luscious rice, mounds of fresh veggies, champagne, and the dearly beloved's cheesecake — another adventure to die for.

Stay well, my friends, and have a Happy New Year.

Obie

132 2,614
 12-28-2012, 10:45 AM
User Info
A family affair! Great story, thank you for sharing this Obie.

10 2,062
 12-28-2012, 10:57 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Obie, I tip my hat to you, you are a true gent Euro

Plus, I always find your writings an enjoyable and worthwhile read Thumbup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-28-2012, 01:23 PM
User Info
Sounds like you've been bust making converts. Excellent!

Obie, I wish you and your loved ones a Happy and prosperous New Year!

32 6,309
 12-28-2012, 03:13 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Heartwarming to here such wonderful family sharing.

100 12,445
 12-28-2012, 03:19 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nothing better than spending quality time around the dinner with family.

173 23,546
 12-28-2012, 06:45 PM
User Info
Obie, excellent work, my friend! Enjoy your dinner and your family.
My twlelve-year-old son is also one lucky young lad as he has many DEs, brushes, some straights, etcetera awaiting for him when he is ready. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 12-29-2012, 06:06 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Very nice read! Clap
Thank you for Sharing it with us, Obie

Blessings to you all
Angel

9 1,684
 12-29-2012, 03:41 PM
User Info
Hey Obie, This isn't really related to your original post, but I've gotten a lot of good use out of the razor I got from you on the B/S/T a few months ago. Have good New Year my friend.

2 129
 12-29-2012, 03:45 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(12-29-2012, 03:41 PM)ronwell Wrote: Hey Obie, This isn't really related to your original post, but I've gotten a lot of good use out of the razor I got from you on the B/S/T a few months ago. Have good New Year my friend.
Bless your heart for the kind words, my friend. Yes, I remember, and am glad you're enjoying the razor.

Gentlemen,
Thank you all for the kind words on my little family adventure. Thus far everyone in the family is happy with the products and the shave. Of course, I am grateful for that. It's a good way to start the New Year.

132 2,614
 12-29-2012, 06:41 PM
User Info
Great post Obie, best to you and yours.

0 500