12-28-2012, 10:25 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I have been experimenting with which bowl in my Nook lathers the best. I have two cereal bowls with curved sides, about three inches deep.

Two mugs with depths of about 2 1/2 inches. While the difference is only about 1/2 inch, the lather in the in mugs is better.

For bowl lathers what works best for you to make lather in?
How do you keep your lather warm?

1 3,507
 12-28-2012, 10:39 AM
User Info
I like a bowl about 4 or 4.5 inches across and about two inches deep. That's for lathering. For building lather right on soap, nothing beats your basic vintage Old Spice mug for me.

Really, though, wider is better. I like to whip up the lather, so I need space.

Warm lather's not a big deal for me, though I find a good heavy stoneware bowl retains heat ok. Sometimes I'll heat up the bowl by filling it with hot water before I shower.

9 166
 12-28-2012, 11:39 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Depth doesn't seem to make a difference to me. I like a 3-4" width, though.

10 1,858
 12-28-2012, 12:16 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
My thoughts and experiences agree with the 4" or larger, and rather shallow, bowl. I hardly ever use only a mug anymore. I may add a bit of water to a hard soap in a mug before I shower and load a brush from that. I soak the bowl in Hot water whilst I shower. The lathering is done in the bowl or on my face in some cases. The bigger brushes in common use now really do not work well in a deeper mug. The old 20mm and smaller ones will work in a mug but can be noisy!
Whatever you decide, assure that you are happy with the result!
~Happy New Year!
~Richard

8 1,190
 12-28-2012, 03:23 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When I use a bowl I like using my Sara Bonnyman Bowl. Diameter is between 4 and 4.5 inches and the depth is around 1.5 to 2 inches. Don't want it to deep so the brush handle does not clank the sides. It is the perfect size to fit in the palm of my hand. I keep the lather in my brush warm by using my Moss Scuttle.

173 23,540
 12-28-2012, 03:25 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I'm back to bowl lathering after my face lathering kick this summer. I perfer the bowl to be 4" diameter and fairly shallow (1" or so). A salad bowl I pressed into use has a wide lip that keeps the lather from rising up over the edge. I've used smaller mugs before but anymore I only them to hold soaps in.

2 505
 12-28-2012, 04:37 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
For ideas, soup cups and other low walled dishes work well. My first was a nice rice bowl.
This one (4"Soup cup) suits me as well as an old porringer.
[Image: soupcup.jpg]
Porringer ~5 inches
[Image: porringer.jpg]
The metal loses heat a bit quicker than the ceramic so I use the ceramic the most.
Richard

8 1,190
 12-29-2012, 09:59 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I used the cereal bowl this morning. I filled it with water and microwaved it. I put a towel over the top to help retain heat, while I showered. The lather was great, warm to boot.

1 3,507
 12-29-2012, 11:23 AM
User Info
My favourite bowl is just shy of 12cm wide and 5cm deep - also have a slightly larger cereal bowl for when I break out the bigger brush.

3 3,578
 12-29-2012, 03:56 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I also enjoy the fairy tale shave bowl, but I use a scuttle or my TSN Bill bowl when I want a warm lather. The Bill bowl holds heat for a while and the large size makes building a great lather very easy (4.5 wide 2.5 deep).

16 545
 12-29-2012, 05:01 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I only bowl lather once in a blue moon when I decide to use a cream. Which ironically has been every day this week as I am burning through a T&H sample pack I got a few months ago and forgot about.
I use a custom bowl I had Julie at Dirty bird make last year when I bowl lathered more often. It's 4.5" across the top and 1.5" deep with extra deep spiral grooves cut into the bottom, it's basically a bill bowl without the handle and deeper grooves.

31 1,510
 12-29-2012, 05:24 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
During the colder fall and winter months I usually use a DB 1.5 or RBecker Scuttle. During the hot summer months I use a DB TSN Bill Bowl.

3 497