12-28-2012, 12:57 PM
  • Eskimo
  • Artisan & Custom Shaving Equipment
User Info
I am pleased to announce that I now have kits available for those who wish to make your own custom handle for a 3-piece razor.

The kit contains Stainless Steel head and tail pieces and your choice of a short or long tube. The short tune will build a handle of 3.25" in total length and a long tube will build a 3.875" handle. These lengths are consistent with the lengths you would see on a short or long handled Merkur. The price for the kit is $15.

[Image: Handle-Kit.jpg]

The bushings for the kit are also made of Stainless Steel and are priced at $7 per set.

[Image: bushings.jpg]

This kit will also require a 27/64" drill bit which is available at most Home Improvement stores.

These items are available on my website, however for TSN members, I am offering a 20% discount through January 15th on these kits and bushings.

If you have any questions or are interested in building your own handles, please PM me.

Thanks, Bob

Below are the instructions for this kit:

Razor Handle Instructions
1. Cutting Blanks
Cut blanks to size (2 ¼” for short handles or 2 ¾” for long handles).
2. Drilling Blanks
Center and bore a hole through your blank using a 27/64” drill bit.
3. Gluing Blanks to Tubes
Rough the brass tube’s surface with a fine grit sandpaper and use a quick drying CA type glue to secure the brass tubes into the blanks. Rotate the tube as you insert it to ensure maximum surface coverage of glue. If you find that CA glue is not providing adequate bonding, an alternative is any two part epoxy type glue.
4. Sanding Blanks to Length
Using a belt, disc sander or barrel trimmer, square the ends of the brass tube/wood blank. The blank should be flush with the brass tube on both ends.
5. Turning Preparation
This kit requires only two bushings and may be mounted on a standard pen mandrel or turned between centers. The bushings are identical, so placement of the bushing is not critical.
If using a mandrel, be careful not to over-tighten the tailstock or the mandrel will flex and bend causing oval shaped turnings.
6. Turning Blanks
Turn as you would a pen or any other small project.
7. Finishing the Blanks
Blanks can be finished like any other turning project. For TruStone, Acrylic or M3 Metal blanks, no special requirements are needed for waterproofing. Wood should be finished with a waterproofing product such as Waterlox.
8. Assembly
Press the Head and Tail parts into opposite ends of the handle using a pen press or machinists vise. Protect all parts from scratching by covering them with a cloth or thin pad before placing them in a vise.
You may wipe a small amount of CA glue around the inside of the tube immediately prior to assembly to insure a tight fit.

4 317
 12-28-2012, 02:34 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
How are the bushings used? Are they to connect the pieces together or for turning the handle material?Huh

6 1,974
 12-28-2012, 02:59 PM
  • Eskimo
User Info
(12-28-2012, 02:34 PM)Harvey Wrote: How are the bushings used? Are they to connect the pieces together or for turning the handle material?Huh

The smaller end of the bushing fits inside the tube and the larger end matches the diameter of the head and tail pieces. The are used in the turning process to hold the piece on the lathe and provide a dimension guideline so that the finished piece will match the diameter of the head and tail pieces. The bushings can be used again and again for other handles. They are cut to fit on a standard pen mandrel or they will fit between a live tail center and the drive center on a lathe if you choose to turn without a mandrel.

The head and tail pieces pressure-fit into the tube, however a drop of CA glue wiped around the interior of the tube prior to final assembly is recommended.

4 317
 12-28-2012, 07:09 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Thanks for the explanation...but YOU are the ARTIST !!!!!!Number_one

6 1,974
 12-28-2012, 08:32 PM
User Info
If I understand correctly these kits would be used as the ends and as a base for a turned wooden or plastic "cover". Correct?

32 6,379
 12-28-2012, 08:46 PM
  • Eskimo
User Info
(12-28-2012, 08:32 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: If I understand correctly these kits would be used as the ends and as a base for a turned wooden or plastic "cover". Correct?

The tube would be inserted into the material (wood, Acrylic, etc) and then turned to shape on a lathe. The fittings would then be inserted into each end of the shaped handle.

4 317
 01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
User Info
Super cool....never ceases to amze me the creative souls we rub elbows with here on SN

4 158
 01-13-2013, 04:25 AM
  • ben74
  • ADMINISTRATOR EMERITUS
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great idea Bob, but I'm not creative so I'll be leaving the entire handle to your expertise!

99 18,002