12-29-2012, 04:43 PM
User Info
After building so much horn lately I wanted to do something different for myself.
I cleaned up this blade and made some red transparent acrylic. I added some sculpture lines to the scales for added interest.
Hone it up and add it to my rotation. I like how smooth and clear the blade itself ended up.

0 772
 12-29-2012, 04:50 PM
User Info
That's beautiful. And the scales have a really interesting "bound" look to them that to me makes them appear kind of from another era. Very nice.

183 12,002
 12-29-2012, 05:30 PM
User Info
Yes, they have that look. I shamelessly borrowed the idea from two others in my collection that I recently restored. I contemplated adding some Black Lipped MOP to this one as well but didn't.
I can always do another.

Attached Files Image(s)

0 772
 12-29-2012, 07:35 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
What a beauty ! scales are quite handsome, too.

0 1,291
 12-30-2012, 11:08 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Mark

The blade is stunning, as you say, smooth and clean lines.

I like the red transparent acrylic used for the scales, I'm just not totally sold on the sculptured lines, mainly because the sculptured lines remind me somewhat of knots or growth markings in wood (especially bamboo), therefore I don't feel they totally belong with red coloured scales. Just my honest opinion, and I mean no offence in the slightest.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-31-2012, 07:27 AM
User Info
Oh, none taken Mike. We all have our particular tastes and look on things. That's cool.
I could have easily made them smooth sided but I kinda' liked the look of the other two razors. What I really like is the look of a red razor in the Razor Digest ( World Razor) which is just stunning. Copying that piece will have to wait until I figure out how to make silver bolsters!
And,, with over 175 razors in my current rotation with that many more to restore, I was getting tired of seeing so much black that anything else is just fun.
I have more acrylic up my sleeve and I'm sure something will fall out that you'll enjoy.
Variety,,, as they say.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it very much.
Mark
Oh, and for what it's worth, this thing is a wicked shaver. Using it last night was a treat. In person the grooves almost disappear and you see a sliver of what looks like a candy apple laying there. It does look quite a bit different in color as well as details in your hand.

0 772
 12-31-2012, 08:50 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Superb work.

12 743
 12-31-2012, 11:50 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(12-31-2012, 07:27 AM)mycarver Wrote: Oh, none taken Mike. We all have our particular tastes and look on things. That's cool...

Hi Mark

Hat-tip to your Sir! you're a true gent.

Honestly, I enjoy looking over and learning (a little) from everything you post, the craftsmanship on display is always a joy to behold Thumbsup

Good to hear it's "a wicked shaver", as it would be almost criminal if such a beautiful blade didn't perform as good as it looks.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-31-2012, 02:04 PM
User Info
Here you go Mike, some other reds you might like. Pearl inlay on red on a Wilshaw, and a more abstract swirl design on one of my first restos a W&B. Unfortunately I dropped the W&B and cracked one of the scales so I guess I'll have to make another.

0 772
 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(12-31-2012, 02:04 PM)mycarver Wrote: Here you go Mike, some other reds you might like. Pearl inlay on red on a Wilsham, and a more abstract swirl design on one of my first restos a W&B. Unfortunately I dropped the W&B and cracked one of the scales so I guess I'll have to make another.

Hi Mark

Thank you, both are (very) nice, but the abstract swirl design scales on the W&B are breath taking, simply gorgeous Babeando

Plus on that razor I love how the curve of the scales flow into the spine of the blade...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 12-31-2012, 02:53 PM
User Info
Of course photographing it opened like that adds to the element of flow, but even closed I got the scales to match the shape of the spine.
Yeah,, gotta' make another. Now, if I can just remember how I did it!

0 772
 01-06-2013, 07:36 AM
User Info
I bought one of these recently from the bay and it had to be one of the finest shaving razors I have ever used. Obviously yours is much nicer than mine. Very nice work!

9 90
 01-06-2013, 08:19 AM
User Info
Yes they are great shavers. I just used mine again where it was basically a one pass shave with a bit of touch up here and there. Slick!
Best $8.00 I ever spent for a razor.

0 772