12-30-2012, 10:21 AM
User Info
I belong to several wet shave forums and as of late there are alot of people getting into straight razor shaving which is a good thing. For the life of me though I can't understand why they compare this to having sex for the first time. I find this so annoying that I can't bring myself to even read the thread, anyone find this to be a bother?

0 372
 12-30-2012, 10:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Seems strange to me.

189 26,354
 12-30-2012, 11:02 AM
User Info
Tell me about it, I mean no one says I lost my injector, SE, or De virginity!

0 372
 12-30-2012, 12:11 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
It's just a common vernacular term for loss of innocence about something. While I am not personally offended by it your point is well taken, Keith. Saying something like, "My innocence about using a straight razor ended today" has just as much, if not more, power than saying, "I lost my straight razor virginity today."

For better or worse, English being the constantly changing language it is, we can only expect more of this.

2 5,000
 12-30-2012, 03:54 PM
User Info
I'm not offended either but, I find it stupid though!Pancarta

0 372
 12-30-2012, 04:08 PM
User Info
I think they may have to get away from the computer and go outside for a while Biggrin

4 854
 12-30-2012, 08:18 PM
User Info
Odd stuff catches on.... I'm just going to leave it there.

9 3,072
 12-31-2012, 01:05 PM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
(12-30-2012, 10:21 AM)Williams Warrior Wrote: I belong to several wet shave forums and as of late there are alot of people getting into straight razor shaving which is a good thing. For the life of me though I can't understand why they compare this to having sex for the first time. I find this so annoying that I can't bring myself to even read the thread, anyone find this to be a bother?

Anyone who will compare their first straight razor shave with the first time they had sex, REALLY did something wrong with the latter.

129 4,001
 12-31-2012, 01:10 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(12-31-2012, 01:05 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(12-30-2012, 10:21 AM)Williams Warrior Wrote: I belong to several wet shave forums and as of late there are alot of people getting into straight razor shaving which is a good thing. For the life of me though I can't understand why they compare this to having sex for the first time. I find this so annoying that I can't bring myself to even read the thread, anyone find this to be a bother?

Anyone who will compare their first straight razor shave with the first time they had sex, REALLY did something wrong with the latter.

Or the lather

116 3,804
 12-31-2012, 02:47 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
This is the funniest thread I've read in a longggggggg time! Laughing1

2 5,000
 01-01-2013, 03:02 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
There are many 'misuses' of terms, such as 'fulsome' which has now come to mean something like 'abundant' instead of 'sickeningly excessive' as in the phrase 'fulsome praise'; or my pet peeve 'enormity' which doesn't mean 'big' but 'significant evil' as in 'the enormity of his crimes'. I see these words used in today's context and cringe...don't get me started on redundancies...

As for 'virginal' references, hymen old fashioned guy at heart, I suppose Smile

I find the references odd and a bit cringeworthy, yes, true, like my own terrible Scouser Dad jokes Smile

Scouser? Look it up in your Funk & Wagnalls, son.

On 'enormity', the following:

A guy is up before an old distinguished judge who, a little hard of hearing, says to the accused: 'The enormity of your crimes is appalling. Have you anything to say for yourself?' and the accused says, "F*** all". The judge blanks, leans over to the Clerk of Court and says "What did he just say?" and the Clerk says, 'Umm, "F*** all", your Lordship'. And the judge replies: 'Funny, I could have SWORN I saw his lips move'.

0 2,397
 01-01-2013, 03:36 PM
User Info
(12-30-2012, 10:21 AM)Williams Warrior Wrote: I belong to several wet shave forums and as of late there are a lot of people getting into straight razor shaving which is a good thing. For the life of me though I can't understand why they compare this to having sex for the first time.

Perhaps the expression alludes to performance anxiety in advance of the actual act, and/or imaging how it would be when performed.

Speaking of words that don't make sense, the use of the word "incredible" really bothers me. For example, a person might watch a football game and say "that was an incredible catch." But the word "incredible" means "lacking in credibility" as if to say "it didn't happen." So that great catch didn't really happen at all. Say what????

17 390
 01-01-2013, 04:26 PM
User Info
Laughing1

(01-01-2013, 03:02 PM)Shaun Wrote: There are many 'misuses' of terms, such as 'fulsome' which has now come to mean something like 'abundant' instead of 'sickeningly excessive' as in the phrase 'fulsome praise'; or my pet peeve 'enormity' which doesn't mean 'big' but 'significant evil' as in 'the enormity of his crimes'. I see these words used in today's context and cringe...don't get me started on redundancies...

As for 'virginal' references, hymen old fashioned guy at heart, I suppose Smile

I find the references odd and a bit cringeworthy, yes, true, like my own terrible Scouser Dad jokes Smile

Scouser? Look it up in your Funk & Wagnalls, son.

On 'enormity', the following:

A guy is up before an old distinguished judge who, a little hard of hearing, says to the accused: 'The enormity of your crimes is appalling. Have you anything to say for yourself?' and the accused says, "F*** all". The judge blanks, leans over to the Clerk of Court and says "What did he just say?" and the Clerk says, 'Umm, "F*** all", your Lordship'. And the judge replies: 'Funny, I could have SWORN I saw his lips move'.

2 546
 01-04-2013, 09:32 AM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info

The more I think about this the more I think we are looking at this the wrong way. Maybe it refers to how the partner feels when you lose your virginity.

129 4,001
 01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
User Info
(01-04-2013, 09:32 AM)wingdo Wrote:

The more I think about this the more I think we are looking at this the wrong way. Maybe it refers to how the partner feels when you lose your virginity.

You mean like cutting yourself and the blood flowing?

9 3,072
 01-05-2013, 01:10 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Guy writing out a suicide note gives himself a paper cut. "Well, it's a start" he says.

0 2,397
 01-05-2013, 11:45 AM
User Info
Not really, takes alot to register on my bother meter.

0 500
 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM
User Info

Hmmmmmmmmm..... I'll be back later Biggrin

1 346
 01-05-2013, 06:06 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-05-2013, 04:36 PM)MsBlackwolf Wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmm..... I'll be back later Biggrin

Laughing1

2 5,000
 01-18-2013, 11:58 AM
User Info
Maybe because the first time is awkward, you don't really know what your doing, and no amount of reading or advice will overcome your general lack of experience.

0 41