12-30-2012, 01:53 PM
User Info
Work has taken me to Brazil a few times, and I quickly became a fan of Granado Pharmacia's shower soaps and hand cream. Earlier this month on my annual visit, I spotted Granado Sabonette de Barbear, their shave soap, and of course I had to try it.

Back home, I opened the box to find a rectangular soap, which made useless the shaving mug I had just prepared for it.

[Image: Granado_Soap.jpg]

I found a plastic box and lid from an old iPod Shuffle which fit the soap decently (plus I started using the Shuffle again; life is good).

The strength of the peppermint scent surprised me. It seems to mellow, in a good way, when I lather the soap. It feels similar to Cade in hardness. The soap's texture is very smooth - the Granado web site suggests this is because of the ingredient "Cassava starch, a thickener and natural binding agent."

The lather is outstanding, although I should mention, I'm in the San Francisco area, and the water here usually builds good lather. That said, the Granado lather feels both very slick and very cushioning. The skin care is excellent, partly due to the use of essential fragrance oil, and perhaps also (again, according to their web site) the use of "Murumuru butter: butter of waxy white or slightly yellow coloring extracted from the fruit of a palm tree found in the Amazon. Rich in oleic acid. Nutritive, emollient and moisturizer." Possibly an alternative for those who can't use products with shea butter?

For now I'm going to give Granado Barra de Barbear five stars, and I plan to pick up several bars next time I'm in Sao Paulo. (It looks as though you can order it from Granado's web site, if you're more confident with your Portuguese than I am with Google Translate.)

--Glenn

1 49
 12-30-2012, 02:41 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Glenn, thanks for the review of a shaving soap I had not heard of before. It sounds like something with great promise.

2 11,211
 01-27-2013, 07:20 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I heard two different comments about the Granado soap from two different Brazilian guys. One told me it lathers well but with difficulty and the other guy told me it's a pleasure to work with.

3 2,561
 01-27-2013, 07:23 AM
User Info
Sounds like a great soap. Nice review

2 697
 01-27-2013, 10:29 AM
User Info
This is a well known shaving soap in the Portuguese shaving forum, which holds a strong presence of Brazilian members. However, the Granado shaving soap is not well regarded amongst the majority of Brazilian wetshavers...

2 5,527
 01-27-2013, 02:36 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review...definitely never heard of this one before.

5 938
 04-28-2013, 05:42 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(01-27-2013, 10:29 AM)oversaturn Wrote: This is a well known shaving soap in the Portuguese shaving forum, which holds a strong presence of Brazilian members. However, the Granado shaving soap is not well regarded amongst the majority of Brazilian wetshavers...

Eventually, I still wouldn't mind giving it a try. Smile

3 2,561
 06-07-2013, 06:17 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
They just started selling this at a local supermarket, and I couldn't resist giving picking one up - it only cost $2.99! I'll post thoughts after I try it.

43 1,690
 06-07-2013, 08:20 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Pic gone? Can't wait for your review, Andrew.

88 4,233
 06-08-2013, 07:49 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Well my first impression of this soap is mixed. Let me start by saying that I would not recommend going out of your way to find it. I had no problem paying $2.99 at a local grocery store to try it.

For my first shave, I used distilled water, hearing about people's problems lathering it with hard water. I'm still not convinced that distilled water solves the soft vs hard water issue.

I could not generate a stable lather with my Tulip 3 Manchurian. What little lather I was able to make dissipated within seconds. I tried loading the brush dry, slowly hydrating the lather, loading extra product, loading the brush wet, to no avail. I also tried rubbing the bar over my face like a shave stick. Still no lasting lather. That being said, when the lather dissipated, I was left with a slick, protective film. I continued to shave over this and the result was an excellent, close, irritation free shave. The soap left my face feeling soft and moisturized, so I'd say it has good skin care properties.

I noticed when I rinsed the soap from my hands, it left a slick layer that took longer to rinse off than regular hand soap. This makes me wonder about the intended method of using this bar of soap. Is it meant to be lathered with a brush? Or should you just apply it to your beard like you are washing it, then shave over the resulting slick layer? I tried this for my final pass, and it worked great.

So maybe this stuff works best as a brushless shaving soap, meant to create a slick, protective layer and not a cushiony lather. I, personally, prefer to shave over a thick, rich lather, and I don't see getting one from this stuff. I can't argue with the results, though, and I may continue to use it as a preshave soap. I'll try lathering it a few more times before giving up on it, but I have enough experience creating great lather from so many different products that I highly doubt the Granado will make anything stable for me.

43 1,690
 06-10-2013, 07:06 PM
  • TRBeck
  • Unregistered
User Info
Interesting reviews, guys. Always fun to hear about these "drugstore" shave products from other parts of the world.

06-10-2013, 07:33 PM
User Info
Especially since we have so few drugstore soaps here now.
(06-10-2013, 07:06 PM)TRBeck Wrote: Interesting reviews, guys. Always fun to hear about these "drugstore" shave products from other parts of the world.

15 762