03-26-2012, 02:21 PM
  • PDB
User Info
I just received my new Merkur today along with a blade sampler pack. I got Feather Hi Stainless, Gillette 70'clock, Treet Platinum, Shark Super Stainless, Lord Platinum, Astra Superior Platinum, and Treet Dura Sharp, then there are Wilkinson Sword black and some in a blue pack.

Out of that list, which ones are the best in the 34C? I probably don't want the harshest blade to start with, and have only used Walgreen's and Wilkinson up to this point.

0 31
 03-26-2012, 05:23 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I would start with the Sharks. They are sharp and smooth, without being super sharp like the Feathers.

7 1,016
 03-26-2012, 06:28 PM
  • PDB
User Info
Thanks for the reply Shawn. Sharks have now moved to the top of the list.

0 31
 03-27-2012, 05:01 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
You're welcome PDB.

Feather blades and I never got along well. And I think that the problem is pretty much all my fault. I nearly always end up with weepers and some irritation from Feather blades, my technique is not always perfect and I do apply a small amount of pressure. The end result is that blades that are more forgiving like the Sharks work better for me. The exception is when I have skipped shaving for several days and need to mow down a lot of stubble, that's where the Feather really excels.

Keep in mind that as your shaving technique improves you might want to revisit some of the blades in the sample pack to see if you like the blades better with improved technique. You might want to use three blades from one manufacturer and then move on to the next blade.

Good luck and have fun.

7 1,016
 03-27-2012, 06:27 AM
User Info
The Astra SP is a sharp and very smooth my favorite blade along with the 7 o'clock super platinum (black).

2 805
 03-27-2012, 08:57 AM
User Info
i would recommend the Treets or Sharks! Not harsh and fairly smooth.

75 20,883
 03-27-2012, 09:19 AM
User Info
Try them All! Everyone will have a different opinion. I love feathers and Astra SPs. You may not.

9 333
 03-27-2012, 09:56 AM
User Info
In your Merkur the Astra SP, Gillette's, Sharks are pretty good. However, in a different razor the Feathers might be best. It depends more on your razor. I like Feathers in my Fasan slant, but prefer Astra SP's in my Gillette blue tip. That is what makes the buying the sample packs so interesting. Try them all and see what you think!

6 230
 03-27-2012, 10:15 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
The 34C was my first razor and I would recommend the Gillette 7 o clock or the Shark. I shaved with the 34c for over two years and the 7 o clock were my go to blade.

45 3,955
 03-27-2012, 03:17 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I would also suggest the Shark first, then Astra.

1 3,507
 03-27-2012, 03:37 PM
User Info
I started out shaving with sharks, and they hooked me. that said, now I won't touch them...but I haven't tried them again in my old stuff, just my new stuff.

4 309
 03-27-2012, 06:42 PM
  • PDB
User Info
I used a shark this morning. It was pretty good. Going to see what day two will bring. I do plan to try them all, just wanted some nice yet mild to start with. Think I will try Astra next.

0 31
 03-27-2012, 10:15 PM
User Info
PDB, are you a noob? It's no big deal, we've all been there, but it affects what we suggest. Garbage in, garbage out. We need the information.

32 6,308
 03-28-2012, 02:34 AM
  • PDB
User Info
(03-27-2012, 10:15 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: PDB, are you a noob? It's no big deal, we've all been there, but it affects what we suggest. Garbage in, garbage out. We need the information.

Not really a complete noob. I used injectors for years, right up to the point I could not get blades locally. Never liked mult-iblade carts so I went the way of the cord for several years. I am not sure what propmted me to do it, but I decided I was going to get some Schick blades last December and I did. One thing lead to another, and I started with straights also. I like them a lot, but I am still on the learning curve with them. I picked up an old Gillette some time in January and have since gained more. Tech, Adjustable, Slim Adjustable, Long Comb New. I also have a Star and a Gem Junior. I have used them all and like the variety. I am just now expanding my blade selection as well as my soaps. I wanted to try a newer razor and picked out a 34C to try out.

0 31
 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM
  • Misha
  • Ex-Lurker
  • Temple, TX
User Info
Try everything and write down your experience. I personally like Feathers, never got a cut with them. I do use them with a heavy headed razors and I don't press the head into my skin. I like Lord and Astra and Merkur too. I use my more aggressive blades with my least aggressive razors. I have a Vision and a Futur and a Feather which really give a great shave with Feather or Merkur. Would I use a Feather on an open comb? Nyet. All boils down to personal preference, shaving style, and your razor and your experience and sometimes there's a learning curve too. Don't let anyone decide for you. Try them all. Don't let them get dull before disposing of them. Dull blades are dangerous.

It's suppose to be fun!

0 7
 04-02-2012, 12:14 PM
  • Sargon
  • St. Louis, Missouri
User Info
YMMV, of course, but If you have a relatively light beard(which it sounds like you may), then you should probably start with the milder blades like the sharks and the Wilks. If, OTOH, you have a very thick, coarse beard, start with the Yelow Gillettes, and move on to sharper blades from there like the Treet and even the feather.

1 189
 04-02-2012, 03:27 PM
  • PDB
User Info
Thanks for all the advice. I was just looking at eight blades that were all supposed to be good and having trouble deciding. I have used the Shark, Astra, and today a Feather. They are all nice, and the feather was really good. I thought I got done with no problems. I used alum and AS splash, and no real stinging. Then a few minutes later, I found a weeper. It did not need any attention, so no big deal. Those things must be sharp.

0 31
 06-27-2012, 04:43 PM
  • PAW
  • Wet Shaver Addict
  • Illinois
User Info
The 7 o'clock is one of my Fav's.

0 197
 06-27-2012, 05:20 PM
User Info
(04-01-2012, 02:18 PM)Misha Wrote: Try everything and write down your experience.

I have seen a few posts along these lines, and I agree try them all.

Remember, there are four main aspects to blade performance and here is my preference of order.

1. Smoothness - Absence of Tugging or Pulling.
2. Closeness - How close does blade let you take the hair down to?
3. Sharpness - How efficient is is in cutting hair.
4. Longevity - How many shaves per blade.

Take written notes thinking about each one of these and the answer as to which one or maybe more of what you want buy in the future.

Good fortune in your shaves.

https://sites.google.com/site/gdcarringt...allenge-ii

1 2,827