12-30-2012, 02:03 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
I've been looking at the Savile Row Shaving brushes at QEDUSA.com and wanted to know if anyone had any experience using the brush and what your thoughts were. Any thoughts on the quality of the brushes?

3 497
 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM
User Info
 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM
User Info
Bruce seems to be the biggest supporter of this brush that I know of. I'm sure he'll drop by soon. From what I've read they are very luxuriously soft brushes.

31 7,912
 12-30-2012, 04:19 PM
User Info
Very underrated luxurious soft feeling brush, I own the 3124.

Feels like a Shavemac 3-Band Silvertip, very soft and gentle, but nice backbone !

Quality brush !

22 5,055
 12-30-2012, 05:30 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I own the SR 3824. The handle is basic, yet ergonomic and lends itself to face or bowl lathering. The knot presents as full but its not really dense. The shape is extremely bulbous. It's 3 band and has some backbone, not enough for it to be outstanding as a feature, but it certainly isn't mop like in character. It feels big and soft on the face. The knot isn't small or concentrated when lathering and does not provide much sensation or any scritch. It's not as soft as Thater. It's not s dense as a Chubby. It's packed and feels (in terms of density) a little like my Plissons, but it reminds me most of LE Kent brushes with the extra hair (which combats the mop like sensation that often characterises them). Flow through is good, not as good as the Plissons, but better than Kent. My SR sees less use these days as my tastes have developed. I now prefer a more robust knot that provides sensation against the face. Not scritch, but resistance through the strength of individual hairs. The SR 3824 was highly regarded a few years ago on another forum, but QED brushes don't appear to have anywhere near the same following as the other major players.

In summary, if you like the feel of something big and soft, yet still manoeuvrable, this simply handled brush is worth a look.

91 17,835
 12-30-2012, 10:29 PM
User Info
They're basically Shavemac, buy whichever one is cheaper, but I personally don't like the fact Chuck won't admit or deny the fact.

0 652
 12-31-2012, 04:54 AM
User Info
(12-30-2012, 10:29 PM)Sodapopjones Wrote: They're basically Shavemac, buy whichever one is cheaper, but I personally don't like the fact Chuck won't admit or deny the fact.

If I would have to guess, and this is purely based on guess and NO KNOWLEDGE AT ALL, so take it for what it is - pointless but fun gesstimation of who makes SR brushes Biggrin - my guess is that SR brushes are made by Shavemac using Shavemacs Regular 3-Band Silvertip hair, but in a more densely filled version, that gives the SR brush a slightly more solid feel, and not quite the same velvet cloud like feel I get from my 3 Shavemac branded regular 3-Band Silvertip brushes.

Thus SR 3-Band Silvertip - TO ME - feels like sort of a hybrid between Shavemac Regular 3-Band Silvertip and Shavemac D01 3-Band Silvertip hair.
Either because the knot is filled with more of the Regular 3-Band Silvertip hair or they have filled it with maybe 80% Regular 3-Band Silvertip hair and 20% D01 3-Band Silvertip hair......

Your guess is as good as mine Wink

22 5,055
 01-01-2013, 04:30 AM
User Info
Excellent brushes, fairly priced, I got the 3824 and 3120. Both are great face latherers. Use them mostly for creams but they also work well with soaps. Likely produced by shavemac but not confirmed.
Bottom line: you cannot make a mistake with that brush.
(12-30-2012, 02:03 PM)DLP Wrote: I've been looking at the Savile Row Shaving brushes at QEDUSA.com and wanted to know if anyone had any experience using the brush and what your thoughts were. Any thoughts on the quality of the brushes?

31 1,554
 01-01-2013, 05:05 AM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
Thanks Everyone.

3 497
 01-26-2014, 05:29 PM
  • rsp1202
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I've had seven SR's in various models and not one has shed a hair, showed a glue bump, or failed to lather anything I've thrown at it. I was a little put off at first by the chunky bulb, but there's a method to its madness, with a great balance of firmness, softness, flowthrough, and density. Every time I've strayed, I've always returned to Savile Row. And unlike other brush manufacturers, the specs remain the same year to year, model to model (other than the dropping of loft a few years back, a great improvement). I often lament that if I'd just stayed with my original 3824, I could have saved a lot of hassles. I don't care who makes it, just as long as I know I can buy it.

20 1,602
 01-26-2014, 06:10 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I have the 3118 (Il Bambino), 3824 and recently acquired the 3722. They are, simply put, some of the best brushes available, with solid lathe-turned handles stuffed with incredibly soft silvertip hair. As I used the 3722 a couple of weeks ago, I wondered why I used other brushes, since the quality is so high and it was a pleasure to use. Like Ron, I could not care less who makes it for Charles.

0 1,136
 01-26-2014, 07:09 PM
  • rsp1202
  • Los Angeles
User Info
Every time a thread like this comes up, it reminds me of my original plan: get an Emperor-handled something; get a D3 synthetic; get a Grosvenor-handled something -- and get another SR before anything else.

20 1,602
 01-26-2014, 07:26 PM
User Info
I own the Select Silvertip in natural horn and it is an exceptional brush. Lush, thick and soft the brush is one of my top three.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend brushes from QED to anyone.

8 240
 01-26-2014, 08:15 PM
  • rsp1202
  • Los Angeles
User Info
The QED Select is a great looking brush that's just jam-packed with goodness. I hope you got a spectacular horn finish to go with it.

Just a note, and speaking of jam-packed: Savile Rows, being handmade, are subject like any other such brush to variables in spec. Example: the 3122's I've had and used are factory spec'd at 22/52. Actual specs are 24.7/51, and this was the same for three brushes I've had in hand. For the 3824, spec'd at 24/54, actual specs have been 25.5/52, and that's for two brushes I've had and one I've read about. That's pretty incredible when you think about: not a millimeter's difference between several brushes. I once asked Charles for a 3120 that was a bit shorter than the spec'd 20/50, wanting a little extra firmness. Rather than becoming prickly about it, he was amused, but it took him going through almost all his stock on hand to find a 20/48.

The point being, that you're getting a bit more than you've paid for, and while the knots are a bit bigger and the lofts a bit lower than expected (which is okay by me), it does show a consistency of product, and that's due largely to Charles' oversight . . . and alright, alright . . . Shavemac's, too. Smile

20 1,602
 01-27-2014, 03:30 AM
User Info
I hear these are good brushes and represent excellent value for money.

If they are indeed Shavemac OEM offerings, then you will be guaranteed a well constructed knot & superb aftercare should the need arise.

Mark

1 630