12-30-2012, 06:37 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I just took delivery of a new-to-me B&B Essential Omega Blonde Boar. Quite a surprising brush I must say. Keeping in mind I am the second owner and it had an undetermined number of break-in lathers on it, it is a really nice brush and it still has a fair amount of break-in to go. It is just beginning to show some split ends.

Out of the packaging, it immediately reminded me of an Omega 80005 I had PiF'd a while ago. Extra high loft; very narrow knot and stiff as a fire poker. Once wet, the Omega was quite pointed and had very little splay to it, yet it lathered well and was quite comfortable. My initial mental comparison to the 80005 was far from accurate.

The cobalt blue handle is darker and smaller than i expected, but the shape and size is real nice. I did scrub the little TM from below the badger logo...it just upset the visual balance and was annoying me. The Essential softened up nicely. I did three test lathers with it using AoS soap. Two palm lathers and one face. (AoS lathers well for me but that's as fas as it goes. I rarely shave with it). The face lather was really enjoyable even though the Essential isn't completely broken in. Slightly scratchy, but very soft and comfortable. If I were in a blind test, I would not have guessed it was a half-ready, narrow boar. I did another break-in/test lather this evening and the Essential destroyed a tub of Cella, which has notoriously been a challenge for me to lather. Lather everywhere! And an added bonus was that the smaller size of the knot made loading in the equally small Cella container a really simple matter. Last lather for the evening was with Mama Bears Toasted Coconut glycerine soap and wow...it exploded with lather! By comparison, I struggle to lather the Mama Bears with a new Rooney Stubby H-2XL.

Don't get me wrong..I am not comparing the $20 Essential to a $150 Rooney... Well... Um... Maybe I am. Go figure.

The Essential is not an SoC (certainly not a two band Rooney Super Badger) but IMHO, even half-broken-in, it buries both the Semogue 1250 and 2000, which are priced close to the Essentials price. Ironically, I PiF'd both of those brushes as well.

33 914
 12-30-2012, 06:50 PM
User Info
It is a great little brush and in answer to the use question it had one break in lather and either one or two real uses. I think once it fully splits on you this will be a fantastic boar. It'll certainly be much softer than many pure badgers.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

129 6,685
 12-30-2012, 07:15 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
No doubt it is going to be a real performer.

I always considered the SoC to be one of the easiest boars to break in, but given the limited lathers you had with it, I'll be revising my opinion on what brush holds that honor.

Thanks again.. Real happy with brush!

33 914
 12-30-2012, 07:18 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Mike , very interesting , my friend.

I have tried a non banded Omega boar (well , with the exception of the 48 one) and I found it less soft of the tips than the banded boar ones.I dont know if this particular brush has the same non banded hair than the rest of the Omega boar brushes , but the banded ones are excellent.

Interesting also that you like it more than the Semogue 1250 , which is another great boar brush on my book (I now prefer it over than the 1305).

Thanks again for your impressions of this brush and repost back when you feel that is fully softened.

86 7,123
 12-30-2012, 07:34 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Let me try to put this into words...keeping in mind I no longer have the 1250.. My nephew is using it.. I set him up with a starter kit and initialed him with a boar!,

Let me start with impressions of the dry brushes.. Grip the 1250 in your palm and it felt more robust than the B&B. The knot isn't chubby-robust like the SoC or the Semogue 2011 LE Bristle (1), both real favorites in my rotation, but it felt more substantial than the B&B. When I squeeze the B&B it feels almost like an old brush that has lost some hair. Anemic. If I judged it solely on a squeeze and flick of the dry bristles, I would probably abandon the brush.

Once wet, the B&B feels much larger and more densely packed than the dry brush would hint to. And on the face it splays out nicely, but not so much that the knot bottoms out on your face. That was one of my complaints with both the 1250 and the 2000.

I'll spend some more time breaking it in, but I have to say, it's great just as it is. A real surprise for a boar with, what... Ten lathers on it?

33 914
 12-30-2012, 07:43 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Mike , Omega makes very good stuff ! Enjoy it , my friend.

86 7,123
 12-30-2012, 10:30 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
A great brush indeed. I absolutely love it for the same reasons you listed. Mine isn't fully broken in yet either. It was an absolute steal at $20...

14 870
 12-31-2012, 02:23 AM
User Info
I agree. The B&B Omega is a great brush. It was soft right out of the box and did not require the time to break in as other boars. Enough lather for multiple passes on the first use and just continues to get better. I find myself reaching for this brush more than my SOC.

0 156
 12-31-2012, 05:52 AM
User Info
Look what I started by sending you that Omega how long ago lol....

I know you're boar'ish guy Mike, but you really should try an Omega 631 or 632 badger sometime.

0 652
 12-31-2012, 07:35 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
This one is, hands down, the best boar brush I own. (Granted, I only own 4 lol)
The handle did seem small at first, but is perfectly comfortable.
Mine already had quite a few split hairs right out of the box and just gets better with every use

I've been meaning to scrape the TM off of mine too. It does throw the balance off, and mine is smudged anyway Rolleyes
Then again, I was one of the ones trying to convince them to move the whole logo down a bit for better aesthetics.

10 411
 12-31-2012, 07:44 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The logo would fit nicely on the bottom of the handle. I sent mine to the troops in our TSN Christmas package.

173 23,535
 12-31-2012, 09:55 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
(12-31-2012, 05:52 AM)Sodapopjones Wrote: Look what I started by sending you that Omega how long ago lol....

I know you're boar'ish guy Mike, but you really should try an Omega 631 or 632 badger sometime.

Aaron, you are totally an enabler... I'll put the 631/32 on my list of things to explore.

Yes, the Omega was a pleasant surprise. Truth told, you were instrumental in many facets of my early DE development... You helped with nearly all of my understanding of the different hair and knot options and also pointed me to many great creams. Thanks!

(12-31-2012, 07:44 AM)Johnny Wrote: The logo would fit nicely on the bottom of the handle...

Given how easily the logo came off, I suspect placing it on the bottom of the handle would result in a pretty gnarly looking loge, pretty quickly. But I agree. Size-wise it would be a great fit.

33 914
 01-03-2013, 09:19 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I just thought I'd share, for anyone interested in trying this brush, the new one is available now. New color is "smoke". I'm kind of liking it, but can't totally decide. May have to buy it and see it in person to decide lol

https://www.westcoastshaving.com/Badger-..._1707.html

10 411
 01-03-2013, 09:22 AM
User Info
We need a TSN sticker to cover up that B&B logo...

12 1,243
 01-03-2013, 09:48 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(01-03-2013, 09:22 AM)insomniac Wrote: We need a TSN sticker to cover up that B&B logo...

Huh Considering the administrators and senior members over there were instrumental in the design of that brush it wouldn't be very appropriate...nor very nice.

This is indeed a wonderful brush and I am very happy to have one of the first run in my shave den. It is an amazing performer and I completely agree with the OP, spot on assessment.

14 870
 01-03-2013, 09:50 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
LOL well, as others have said, the logo rubs off pretty easily

If this exact brush was available for TSN, with the profits coming here instead of going to B&B....I'd buy it for myself in a heartbeat, as well as a few to give as gifts.
As it is, I'm stuck between really liking the brush and not wanting to contribute to that forum any more Dodgy

10 411
 01-03-2013, 10:00 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(01-03-2013, 09:50 AM)Kavik79 Wrote: LOL well, as others have said, the logo rubs off pretty easily

If this exact brush was available for TSN, with the profits coming here instead of going to B&B....I'd buy it for myself in a heartbeat, as well as a few to give as gifts.
As it is, I'm stuck between really liking the brush and not wanting to contribute to that forum any more Dodgy

Isn't it funny (maybe ridiculous for some) to have a badger head logo on a boar brush ? 24 Anyway , Im sure its a great brush , but Im saving my money for other Omegas coming from Italian Barber.

86 7,123
 01-03-2013, 06:25 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I understand the issues with B&B, and I have all but abandoned the forum for a host of reasons I feel no need to share. But, be that as it may, I don't wish to spite myself. It's a fine brush regardless of its origin. Dig deep enough and you'll find dirt and nasties on the squeaky cleanest.. Or, better put, every bushel has its bad apples...that doesn't mean you give up apples. I'm just sayin...

As far as the logo, just scrape it off..

33 914
 01-03-2013, 07:10 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Mike , I was meaning that some people dont like to see a banded boar hair , like imitating 3 band badger hair.So the badger head on a handle could seem a little bit "funny" , but its ok that the logo could be scrape it off easily.
I dont care if the brush is from Omega , Semogue , Rooney , or from B&B , B&C or B&D : if its a good brush ,thats what it matters and I care for , and this one seems to be a very good one.
I also dont like the new theme , but if a handle is release with a red/burgundy color , I wont be able to stop myself and get one , Im afraid.

86 7,123
 01-04-2013, 08:21 AM
User Info
I myself do not like banded boar. Teiste every time a run of 150 sells out the base color will change.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

129 6,685