12-30-2012, 07:58 PM
User Info
Had my first shave with it today. I am still trying to decide how I feel about the scent. Its pleasant but not what I was looking for.
Lathering it up was very easy, I put a tea spoon full in the bowl, my brush (WD silvertip) was slightly wet and I added a few drops of water as I was creating lather.
It created a lot of lather very quickly.
When I used it, I thought it was ok. It was slick enough and offered good protection. I am used to the thicker lather I create with Mike's soap though.
What I did not expect was how hydrated my skin was after the shave - call me impressed.
Today was actually a bad shave day. I tried to pick up my Dovo after a long pause, got cut, irritated and switched back to my safety razor.
The one thing that saved the day was this cream.

Couple of questoins.
Is the coconut forumla different from the other scents, such as Rose or GFT? Can I expect the same performance with the other scents? I am asking because it says it contains coconut oil and I am not sure if it is an ingridient in the others as well.
How does the Rose scent compare to other Rose scented creams you've tried?

6 808
 12-31-2012, 07:16 AM
User Info
The GFT Rose is a wonderful cream, highly colored though, it will stain your brush in time, the performance is as expected, it is one of my go to creams. Also, try cutting down on the amount of cream you use for a shave, normally, an almond size amount is all that is needed for three passes.

0 86
 01-02-2013, 08:58 AM
User Info
Many people swear that the GFT coconut performs better than their other creams but I haven't found this to to be true so far. They do have a sample pack that's pretty cheap.

15 762
 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM
User Info
Regarding GFT creams, I have found that the coconut oil cream performance wise is better than the violet, although they are the only ones I have tried from this brand.

10 605
 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Skin care wise , its the best of the Geo F Trumper creams , with a big difference over the rest , I will say.I truly like the Violet scent , and the Rose is quiet similar to the T&H one (at least , to my nose...).The GFT gave me a serious burn...
The new ones , Spanish Leather , is nice , but its scent its ok.I hhave heard that Eucris perform much better and smells stronger than the soap (which I truly like).

86 7,123
 01-04-2013, 12:05 PM
User Info
You're right about that Teiste, the violet smells amazing!

10 605
 01-06-2013, 07:27 AM
User Info
(01-02-2013, 12:04 PM)Teiste Wrote: Skin care wise , its the best of the Geo F Trumper creams , with a big difference over the rest , I will say.I truly like the Violet scent , and the Rose is quiet similar to the T&H one (at least , to my nose...).The GFT gave me a serious burn...
The new ones , Spanish Leather , is nice , but its scent its ok.I hhave heard that Eucris perform much better and smells stronger than the soap (which I truly like).

Not to hijack this thread... Eucris cream is amazing! The scent is very strong and lasts forever!

I too have the coconut oil cream and find it hydrates the best and is plenty slick.

4 219
 01-06-2013, 09:24 PM
User Info
(01-06-2013, 07:27 AM)xCarbonSteelx Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 12:04 PM)Teiste Wrote: Skin care wise , its the best of the Geo F Trumper creams , with a big difference over the rest , I will say.I truly like the Violet scent , and the Rose is quiet similar to the T&H one (at least , to my nose...).The GFT gave me a serious burn...

Not to hijack this thread... Eucris cream is amazing! The scent is very strong and lasts forever!

I too have the coconut oil cream and find it hydrates the best and is plenty slick.

Agreed about the staying power of Eucris, which is why I had to dump my tube of it because I use EDT frags twice a day and don't want my shaving products to intefere with my fragrance du jour Blush

Same problem I have with Musgo real after shave balm - very nice skin care, but the scent lingers on my skin for 2-3-4 hours after application........so I consider dumping Musgo real after shave balm, even though it's an amazing product Confused

22 5,047
 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(12-31-2012, 07:16 AM)Slim-65 Wrote: The GFT Rose is a wonderful cream, highly colored though, it will stain your brush in time, the performance is as expected, it is one of my go to creams. Also, try cutting down on the amount of cream you use for a shave, normally, an almond size amount is all that is needed for three passes.

You are right about the GFT Rose SC. It's vibrant colour does stain the brush, but I find using a hard soap for subsequent shaves alleviates the staining. It has a stronger scent than the Vulfix Rose SC, which is also a good performer, although it's lack of scent is disappointing in comparison to the GFT.

I haven't tried the GFT Coconut SC. I do currently have a tub of Mystic Waters SS and Jabonman SS in Coconut and both are fantastic!

91 17,823
 01-08-2013, 04:01 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I quite like the Coconut Cream from GFT, but don't think it's any better /worse than any of the other Trumper Creams. I do really like the Violet scent, though my wife does not...so I don't shave with it as much as I'd Like. I used a very small amount of product, but I only do two passes since I shave twice a day.

Once upon a time, Scottish Fine Soaps marketed a cream called Scottish Violet...THAT was a superb shave cream...It was made by Creighton's so I assume it was a similar formulation to the Trumper old formulation, and the scent was similar to the Trumper line of Violet, though a bit stronger to my nose. I found one in a TJ Maxx a few years ago - Around the time of C&E discontinuing the Sweet Almond Oil Cream - That was a GREAT day!

Excelsior!

68 1,416
 11-18-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
I've got some of this on order, along with the GFT violet. I didn't care for the rose scented cream, but I just smelled it - no shave. I got a puck of lilac soap from Mystic Waters and, if you're a fan of lilace scent, this will floor you. That's why I decided to try the GFT violet. I am not that big on flower scents except in a harmony with other scent elements, but I like the MW lilac so much, I figure that I need to give those flowers another try.
I think my favorite flower smellwise is hyacinth - especially the white or yellow ones. If there were a soap or cream out there with hyacinth fragrance, I would love to try it.
Euro
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Update:
I shaved with the Trumper Violet cream yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it - thick lather and wonderful smell. The cream straight from the tube was thicker than I expected, and a vivid violet red in color. It seemed more condensed than Proraso tube cream, for example. I expect that it will last quite a long while since very little was required to produce abundant plush lather. I've heard stories about people having their silvertip brushes turning slightly plum colored even though the lather appears totally white. No worries here ~ I like cheap boar brushes.

5 394
 11-19-2014, 04:50 AM
User Info
(12-30-2012, 07:58 PM)Galhatz Wrote: Had my first shave with it today. I am still trying to decide how I feel about the scent. Its pleasant but not what I was looking for.
Lathering it up was very easy, I put a tea spoon full in the bowl, my brush (WD silvertip) was slightly wet and I added a few drops of water as I was creating lather.
It created a lot of lather very quickly.
When I used it, I thought it was ok. It was slick enough and offered good protection. I am used to the thicker lather I create with Mike's soap though.
What I did not expect was how hydrated my skin was after the shave - call me impressed.
Today was actually a bad shave day. I tried to pick up my Dovo after a long pause, got cut, irritated and switched back to my safety razor.
The one thing that saved the day was this cream.

Couple of questoins.
Is the coconut forumla different from the other scents, such as Rose or GFT? Can I expect the same performance with the other scents? I am asking because it says it contains coconut oil and I am not sure if it is an ingridient in the others as well.

I must try this , sounds like great stuff , I need a coconut cream in my den

(12-30-2012, 07:58 PM)Galhatz Wrote: Couple of questoins.
I have only tried the Spanish leather GFT cream and found it wasn't really a moisturising cream (but not really drying either), I think the Coconut cream probably has a higher level of Coconut oil which would account for the extra hydration

0 60