03-26-2012, 03:12 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
Just in, the new Weber Razor with DLC coating and Bulldog handle. This thing is built like a tank. The razor is nice and hefty. The Knurling is heavy and best of all it's Shiny. Tongue

I in the back I have placed all the blades I will be testing out. I will report every 3 days to let you guys know how they perform with this razor.( The only blade missing in the picture are the Kais)

I will not be testing for blade longevity, only how well they shave. I will use each blade 3 times and report with findings.

[Image: razorandblades.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 265
 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Nice photo! The handle looks great and very similar to the iKon Bulldog handle. How do you rate the machining?

45 16,353
 03-26-2012, 03:39 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
(03-26-2012, 03:27 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Nice photo! The handle looks great and very similar to the iKon Bulldog handle. How do you rate the machining?

I'm no knoledge of metals or machining, but it looks good to me. The Knurling feels heavy like something you would expect to get out of a good tool.

1 265
 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
I would have to say that the handle's knurling is very grippy. I haven't tried it yet (it should be used tomorrow or Wednesday), but it is some pretty severe knurl grip. Does that even make any sense? I haven't had the iKon bulldog handle to compare.

0 253
 03-26-2012, 03:57 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I have been using the Weber bulldog for two weeks and its a great shaver with wonderful grip. I have been using a Gillette Super Thin blade and the shaves have been smooth,close and irritation free. I would imagine just about any blade producing similar results. A great buy at $70 + shipping which is very reasonable.

100 12,448
 03-26-2012, 04:08 PM
User Info
I look forward to your results!

1 2,827
 03-26-2012, 04:39 PM
  • sp514
  • Toronto, Canada
User Info
Looks fantastic. It's too tempting!

0 115
 03-26-2012, 06:09 PM
User Info
Looks like a great razor. Good luck with the shaves.

75 20,883
 03-27-2012, 03:23 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
I decided to christen the weber with an Iridium Super as it's a blade loved by many. This combo worked out very nice. Right away I noticed how it effortlessly it mowed down the wiskers. I had no problems finding a proper angle, this just seemed to come naturally. The razor and blade where very smooth, and best of all I was able to complete my shave with 2 passes plus touch ups. Which is what I always go for. I always use Alum, Alcohol after shave, and a balm. All where applied and I felt absolutely no sting or discomfort. If I was to grade my shave for today I would say it was excellent.

On a side note. The Weber razor has a very nice heft to it. when you compare it to other razors, it really does put them to shame in the quality of materials department, True its not as pretty as an 89l, but it excels where it counts. The handle is a very comfortalbe to hold because its nice and fat, and it feels sticky due to it's heavy knurling. I think some of my other razors are in danger of being sold off.

[Image: iridium.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 265
 03-29-2012, 02:02 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
Its confirmed, the Iridium Super is a wonderful match. Very clean shaves, absolutely no irritation. Polsilvers will be tomorrows blade.

1 265
 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
As predicted, the bulldog handle gives excellent grip. I love the weight and feel of this handle. This may very well be my favorite handle I own. Now with that being said, the tradere handle is coming...

0 253
 03-29-2012, 10:02 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
(03-29-2012, 02:41 PM)etoyoc Wrote: As predicted, the bulldog handle gives excellent grip. I love the weight and feel of this handle. This may very well be my favorite handle I own. Now with that being said, the tradere handle is coming...

Are you using only the handle. What head are you using. The handle is comfi.

1 265
 03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
User Info
(03-26-2012, 03:27 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Nice photo! The handle looks great and very similar to the iKon Bulldog handle. How do you rate the machining?
As a point of reference, I think the iKon bulldog handle is a notch above the Weber. The Weber is nice and if I didn't already have a couple of iKon handles I might be discouraged from buying one. However, I think they both have their own character. Something just seems a bit more polished about the fit and finish of the iKon.

0 221
 03-30-2012, 05:17 PM
User Info
This looks very nice. I am thinking of getting this. Does the coating really provide any benefit towards the shave or is the coating purely aesthetic ? I had one of the ones from New Zealand that had a black head on it and I could not get a very good shave from it. I had to let it go. This looks a little nicer. I think it was a Goodfellow I had before??

5 413
 03-30-2012, 07:22 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
(03-29-2012, 10:02 PM)Mynorx Wrote:
(03-29-2012, 02:41 PM)etoyoc Wrote: As predicted, the bulldog handle gives excellent grip. I love the weight and feel of this handle. This may very well be my favorite handle I own. Now with that being said, the tradere handle is coming...

Are you using only the handle. What head are you using. The handle is comfi.

It is on the weber DLC head. I will try it on other heads in the next few weeks.

0 253
 03-31-2012, 06:18 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
I have been reading too many good reports on the Weber/Bulldog so I pulled the trigger myself this morning. (Saturday) - was surprised to get a notice/email later in the day today that the razor "had been shipped". Now if it shows up on Monday I will be convinced that Phil is employed by the Weber guys or at least owns part of the company. Wink

18 281
 04-01-2012, 04:50 PM
User Info
(03-29-2012, 02:02 PM)Mynorx Wrote: Its confirmed, the Iridium Super is a wonderful match. Very clean shaves, absolutely no irritation. Polsilvers will be tomorrows blade.

All I've used in my DLC BullDog is Feathers- Working well for me,probably going keep using 'em.

(03-30-2012, 05:17 PM)Krisbarger Wrote: This looks very nice. I am thinking of getting this. Does the coating really provide any benefit towards the shave or is the coating purely aesthetic ? I had one of the ones from New Zealand that had a black head on it and I could not get a very good shave from it. I had to let it go. This looks a little nicer. I think it was a Goodfellow I had before??

The DLC coating feels a bit more slippery smooth than a chrome surface to me in a one to one test after dipping them in water.However,throw in lather etc....And I don't think it's primairly the coating that makes this razor shave so close yet irritation free,I believe it's the countour of the blade and resultant angle of the cutting edge that's formed when the comb (base plate) is tightened onto the head.think they hit it just right.

(03-31-2012, 06:18 PM)daccpa Wrote: I have been reading too many good reports on the Weber/Bulldog so I pulled the trigger myself this morning. (Saturday) - was surprised to get a notice/email later in the day today that the razor "had been shipped". Now if it shows up on Monday I will be convinced that Phil is employed by the Weber guys or at least owns part of the company. Wink
I hear they ship quite fast,I know mine was ordered on a Friday night and it was delivered Monday morning.

7 414
 04-01-2012, 05:27 PM
User Info
The thing that shocked me was how well soap and cream washed out from between the blade gap. To look at the chrome it would seem to be a no brainer that it's slick. However, the DLC coating seems to release that gunk even easier. That may not be a big deal to some, but a bad (time consuming) habit I've gotten into is completely cleaning out that blade gap before going to the next pass. This idiosyncrasy has also driven me to use open combs more often too. I think I'm getting more weird by the day Huh

0 221
 04-01-2012, 05:43 PM
User Info
I pulled the trigger on a classic ARC. just now.

5 413
 04-01-2012, 07:18 PM
User Info
(04-01-2012, 05:27 PM)TYdeFan05 Wrote: The thing that shocked me was how well soap and cream washed out from between the blade gap. To look at the chrome it would seem to be a no brainer that it's slick. However, the DLC coating seems to release that gunk even easier. That may not be a big deal to some, but a bad (time consuming) habit I've gotten into is completely cleaning out that blade gap before going to the next pass. This idiosyncrasy has also driven me to use open combs more often too. I think I'm getting more weird by the day Huh

Must be something to that...

I used the Weber all last week,on Sundays I usually use a soft toothbrush and dish soap to clean my razor before putting in a new blade in 'em to start the work week....Today I just threw a new blade into the DLC head didn't even think to clean it up because it looked spotless.

(04-01-2012, 05:43 PM)Krisbarger Wrote: I pulled the trigger on a classic ARC. just now.

Good stuff,had my eye on that one too when I was looking,bet you have it by Wednesday from what I hear about the way they're shipping.

7 414