12-31-2012, 12:30 PM
User Info
Can you generally count on all razors of the same type to shave the same? For instance, I have two Slim Adjustable razors. Is there any reason to for me to test them both out to see which shaves best, or was the quality control on those such that I can assume they'll be the same?

I also have three (2 ball-end, 1 fat-handle), and three 40's style Superspeeds (2 regular and 1 black tip) that I'm wondering the same thing about.

0 836
 12-31-2012, 12:38 PM
User Info
My personal thought with all vintage razors is that they could be different. These pieces have a history, one which we most likely don't know. Drops & misuse can easily cause razors of the same make & model to shave differently now even if they were the same off the factory line.

31 7,912
 12-31-2012, 01:28 PM
User Info
+1 what Brian wrote.

I've tested a vintage lather catcher and clearly the teeth of the open comb had issues compared to another of the same model. It affected the shave until I corrected it. OK that was obvious. The teeth were clearly caddywumpus.

I just sold an EverReady '14. An absolutely gorgeous razor in a gorgeous case, but it had a flaw for the model. It was far too mild. I'd mention this and other gents at times would comment that I was the only person to claim that the ER '14 was mild. I hated the shave this razor gave me and other gents cliamed it was aggressive. Heck, I even wrote a review of the razor thinking that mildness was normal for the razor. Then I wised up and tried a spare that I had tucked away. Guess what? It's an aggressive razor. My gorgeous razor was an anomaly. It's still gorgeous, and as far as I know the new owner is quite happy with it. He bought it knowing that it is much milder than what's normal for that model.

A Slim by it's very nature is adjustable, so the settings might not be quite calibrated from razor to razor. That is, a 5 setting on one might not be quite the same as another Slim, but so what? Shave with it and if it's not what you want adjust it. Or just open it right up to magical 9 and be done with it. I haven't checked my Slims to see if wide open on one is as open on the other one. Neither have I done the same test with the Slim and Fatboy.

Why not test for yourself and let us know what you find?

32 6,309
 12-31-2012, 03:23 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I think it is just best to assume that they all shave differently.

That way I can use each and everyone of my razors and not worry about the duplicates. But, then what is a duplicate anyway?

First year production razor.

War year production razor.

Birth year production razor.

Final year production razor.

Gold Finish - Nickel Finish - No Finish

1 819
 12-31-2012, 03:34 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
IMHO, I believe vintage razors shave differently. It comes from where they were made. Lets use fatboy as example in 1959 they were made with screw at bottom and in 60's they sealed so in case is you wanna fix it it was a lot harder.. Where I am going with? I do believe that they did some adjustments on razors or even wear of machine on production line could change slightly. The closed to same shave two razor can be if thy have same data code (for example, G-1)

So test and see which you like moreSmile

11 861
 12-31-2012, 03:35 PM
User Info
I'm trying to be a user, not a collector. My plan is to try out every razor I buy and if I don't like it, I'll get rid of it. If I do like it, but I have multiples, I guess I'll compare them head to head and get rid of all but the best one I have.

I have zero interest in what year the razors were made, be it first, last, birth year, or whatever, unless there's a difference in performance that goes along with the year. I also don't really care about the finish either, but I do want the to look nice so appearance is a criteria, or a reason to upgrade later.

0 836
 12-31-2012, 05:17 PM
User Info
(12-31-2012, 12:38 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: My personal thought with all vintage razors is that they could be different. These pieces have a history, one which we most likely don't know. Drops & misuse can easily cause razors of the same make & model to shave differently now even if they were the same off the factory line.

+1

75 20,883
 12-31-2012, 10:16 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I've noticed differences among vintage and even modern DE's, it's even more so with straights (sometimes big differences among same models). I just test them and keep the best ones like you plan on doing. Happy new year!

27 1,294
 01-01-2013, 11:57 AM
User Info
Some may have a slight different design such as the Chrome nickel Toggle vs the Gold Toggle. It may insignificantly give varying shave results but maybe too small to notice. d-1 and f-4 Toggles here:

[Image: attachment-70.jpg]

0 606