12-31-2012, 01:55 PM
User Info
I have a very old Rolls Razor in it's original blue cardboard box. I used it now and again years ago, and would like to bring into use again. Thing is, the blade edge has a few tiny little nicks in it.

I asked my uncle who is in his mid to late seventies about this. He told me to put 1200 grit emery paper on the hone in the case, then work the blade back and forth on it till the nicks are gone. Then hone and strop as normal.

Any ideas out there. On another site i was advised to put 120 or 180 grit paper instead of 1200 grit. I believe that, although this advice is well meant, will just score the blade edge and ruin it in the process. Bearing in mind that the stone in the supplied case is at least 3000 grit.

All the very, very best and a happy new year to everyone.
Wills.

0 16
 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
You should look at what the Straight Razor Users do when honing.

1200 will wear down the metal faster and take out the nicks quicker (assuming that they are deep).

The 3000 do it slowly and surely.

But, you need to read up on honing - how to do it and what stones to use.

1 819
 12-31-2012, 06:55 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I used a 1K grit hone that would be about 1500 grit for sandpaper.
I removed the bail/guard by carefully prying out one end. I was able to use finger and thumb to move the blade on the stone. I used figure 8 motions, and flipped the blade often. Then i used a much finer hone. The hone in the case is sufficient once the chips are gone. Many of those hones have bad dings in them where the blade chipped them from too aggressive direction changes. If so then don't use the case hone. Use only the strop. A bit of rouge on the strop if your wife has some dark red, that will do. Just tiny smidgen is plenty.
Glad you are getting it back into action!
~Richard

8 1,190
 01-01-2013, 05:33 AM
User Info
Thanks for the replies guys. I have been de shaving for 53 years, started off with a straight. So i am completely familiar with honing and stopping. I understood what my uncle was getting at, he was saying that the emery on top of the hone in the case would clean the blade at a shallower angle, ever so slightly, you understand.

When the emery is removed, the blade will then be at an ever so slightly steeper angle. This, of course will bring back a new clean edge to the blade. I understand what you mean by shavers reversing the blade honing direction far too quickly, then causing damage. This razor and all its bits and bobs are in pristine condition however.

Just a small addendum, i have palm stropped de razor blades since i was taught back in 1959. I do 5 to 6 passes per shave, and get between 14 and 19 glass smooth shaves from a medprep blade. The best now available, i think.

Thanks again.
All the very, very best and a happy new year to everyone.
Wills.

0 16