12-31-2012, 10:59 PM
User Info
Well for my 3rd year in a row I will be doing a sugar-free month. No sugar, no artificial sweeteners (only Stevia is allowed though I rarely use it anymore), and no foods that act like sugar (think bread & other starches like pasta & potatoes). Sugar is an addiction and research shows that it's harder to kick the sugar habit than it is to quit drugs like nicotine, heroine, & cocaine. Last year wasn't completely successful due to my wife being pregnant. This year there's no chance of that so it should be just as successful as the first year.

Has anyone else done anything like this before? If so, will you be doing it again?

Happy New Year y'all!

31 7,914
 12-31-2012, 11:12 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Good luck to you, Brian. I don't think I could last because I like my sweets way too much, to be honest. However, since I only weigh 129 pounds and compensate by eating other foods that I like in reasonable abundance (think green vegetables, fish, chicken and none of it fried) I don't think I'm doing my body too much harm and my annual physicals have all been excellent.

2 11,211
 01-01-2013, 12:04 AM
  • roggen
  • SoJo, Utah
User Info
I do a similar thing. I do the following cleanse. I lost 60 pounds over the last year and this really helped kick start the process!

1 Week(s):
Meats: Chicken, turkey, fish, canned Tuna/Sardines, eggs. No red meat, dairy or pork.

All Vegetables: No Potatoes; yams & sweet potatoes ok. Best: mushrooms, leafy greens, artichokes, asparagus, carrots, cruciferous (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, turnips, cale, collard, water crests.) Avocados and tomatoes OK. Salad dressing: "Bragg's," lemon, garlic, olive oil, tarragon, parsley, basil, paprika, onions, vinegar, pepper.

Nuts: All nuts, seeds, but no peanuts, yet (they're legumes.) Chwe almonds 40X = appetite suppressant (chew all other food at least 12 times.) Almond Butter

Drinks: Best before meals. No soda. Filtered water with lemons (http://www.fluoridealert.org), Green tea, Almond milk. Carrot, celery, vegetable juices.

2 Week(s): add a new fruit/day. Best: grapefruits, oranges, kiwis and berries. Dilute Odwala,
Bolthouse, Pomegranate (best), organic fruit juices in water)

3 Week(s): add a new legume/day. Beans, peanuts, peas, soy, soy milk, and lentils.

4 Week(s): add cereals, breads, pasta, chips, tortillas. Add a whole grain every 3 days: corn, brown rice, wheat, etc to rule out grain allergies. Book "Paleo Diet?"
This diet helps you withdraw from your addiction to refined foods, lose weight and screen for food allergies. If no significant improvements when done, you may try to withhold fish, eggs, soy and nuts. Visit http://www.utahfoodallergynetwork.com.
Detox reaction: try bentonite, charcoal and hold off supplements until next visit.
please, do come back, even if you are not ready to make changes, yet.
Do not go hungry. Eat every other hour, if necessary. No calorie counting. If you are full, you will be more likely to stay assay from foods to avoid.
Do not weigh yourself. From now on focus on waist size:
Eat breakfast as a king, lunch as a queen, and dinner as a pauper. (400%, 40%)
Snacks: pulse bars (nuts, fruits, grains) carrots (any portable veggie) protein drinks/bars, sardines in peel-back cans, rice cakes, etc.
Plan ahead, so that you don't get caught hungry around bad food.
Recruit family members. This diet is very hard without support.
Maintenance: avoid processed foods and commercial fruit juices, pop, dairy, red meat, pork. Coffee & alcohol OK one serving a day.

0 34
 01-01-2013, 07:25 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Never tried anything like this. I could easily do without sugar as in drinks, sweets, etc. but there is no way I could bring myself to cut out starch/carb type stuff like bread, pasta and potatoes.

31 1,510
 01-01-2013, 07:31 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I'll be watching from the sidelines. I could go without sleep for a month before I could go without any kind of sugar. Good luck though. Cool

45 16,339
 01-01-2013, 09:29 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Sorry I already broke your sugar free January this morning. I would probably last only a day or two at the most but its a very good idea.

100 12,442
 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM
User Info
Good luck to you, Brian.
It looks like most of my daily meals. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 01-01-2013, 12:15 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Brian, just out of curiosity, is your purpose to lose weight, cleanse the body, both, or something else? In any event, please let us know how it goes. Wishing you all the best on this outing. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 01-01-2013, 12:24 PM
User Info
It's a cleanse primarily with the benefit of weight loss. Also an enlightenment regarding how bad sugar is for us. Just go without sugar for a month & then when you do have sugar you can notice the effects on the body almost immediately.

So far so good today. First couple days can be hairy due to withdrawal symptoms, but then the rest of the month will be great!

31 7,914
 01-01-2013, 12:26 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have been basically sugar free since 2003 , when I did read "Sugar Blues" by William Dufty and I started with macrobiotics.

I just wanna tell you that on my first week back then , I was like a junkie looking for sugar , and two of my co workers at the time , talked to me privately , cuz they thought I was "on drugs" (literally).I was shaking a couple days , sweating like I have never experienced (even with fever) and pale like a ghost.The second week it was fantastic , I felt full of energy , clear thoughts , slept like a baby , and my "taste" was reborn.I also recover my natural skin color (my skin and eyes went so clear) and boy , let me tell you , I was capable to run for over an hour with no pain on my right knee after 15 days with no sugar.

Gentlemen , do your research about white/brown process sugar and , if you are curious , go for a week without it.You will be surprise if you read the ingredients labels how many things contains sugar (even Mayonaise does !!!) and how much sugar we are eating/drinking per day.Its simply insane...

86 7,123
 01-01-2013, 12:58 PM
User Info
I will be doing something similar, although not as drastic. I plan on eliminating all refined carbohydrates from the diet, I.e. "white" carbs such as refined sugar, refined breads, pasta, sweets etc. Complex carbs like whole wheat breads, pastas, etc. will remain. I pretty much try to follow the Mediterranean way of eating...lots of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fish, some poultry, limited amounts of red meat, and of course red wine in moderation (keeps the ticker healthy).

5 938
 01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Ironically, considering my great love of sweets, I drink my coffee and tea black 99% of the time and, based on what I see and hear in the coffeeshop, I think I am definitely in the minority there.

2 11,211
 01-01-2013, 03:29 PM
User Info
Never heard of sugar addiction. Don't think I have it.

But that would explain why I want desert every night unless I had a big dinner.

Being only 10% body fat, I'll be cheering from the sidelines.

9 2,988
 01-01-2013, 03:55 PM
User Info
I have a book by Dr. Scott Olson called "Sugarettes". He compares sugar addiction to nicotine addiction. Pretty easy read & quite infoative. I can't argue with 10% body fat though, well done on that. I'll be happy with 15-18%. Sugar-free alone won't get me there though. I'll be doing my rowing HIIT more frequently along with my sugar-free month.

31 7,914
 01-03-2013, 05:40 AM
User Info
I'm working on it and finding it difficult, but the worst is past. However, as Teiste pointed out it is an ingredient of so many processed foods so there is some leakage I'm sure.

0 140
 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
I tried something similar a couple of years ago. I was working away (Monaco) for two weeks and at the time I was reading 'The Sugar Blues' by William Dufty. I discovered that book because of my trainers. To explain, I've been vegetarian since about the age of 14. Many, many years later I became uncomfortable about buying leather goods and started looking for alternatives. This lead to buying 'Geoff Rowley' Vans. For a while they were vegan, then suddenly they stopped being vegan, as did Geoff presumably. Another search lead me to Ed Templeton, and his line of Emerica vegan skate shoes. An interview with Ed mentioned Dufty's book... but I digress.

My first day away I had, as usual, filled my face with chocolate (usually freely available). Reading the book had begun to change my attitude though, so I decided that for the remainder of the job I would cut out refined sugar in all of its forms. This is much more difficult than it sounds as sugar is in just about bloody everything these days. Still, for two weeks I managed it and I didn't (knowingly) consume any refined sugar. For the first week, I genuinely did feel like a junkie trying to kick a habit, it was horrible. After that, I felt fine. The thing I remember most is that my energy levels became much more consistant and balanced, no more highs and lows.

Sadly, I didn't keep up the experiment. I really wish I had. In my line of work it's difficult enough being vegetarian. To be vegan or macrobiotic, or to cut out refined sugar entirely would be almost impossible. Perhaps it's time I tried again, maybe even for a month. An old ex friend (long story) used to stop drinking alcohol every February (because it's the shortest month). It is difficult though, my wife is a chocoholic and I have two very young children and, not to sound like a conspiracy theorist but sugar is in SO many things...

0 132
 01-03-2013, 01:40 PM
User Info
Yes, sugar is in a ton of stuff. I am fortunate that I don't need to have a lot of variety in my foods. I can eat the same type of stuff, or even the same exact stuff for weeks and be ok. That makes this easier for me. Having my wife doing this too makes it much easier. When she was pregnant and didn't go sugar-free with me I didn't make it the entire month.

Halfway through day 3 and I'm doing better than I've ever done at the beginning of this before. No killer withdrawal headaches at all (my wife had one all day yesterday). Today I have had a (very) slight headache and I'm hoping this will be the extent of my sugar withdrawal symptoms.

31 7,914
 01-03-2013, 06:21 PM
User Info
Congratulations and continued success, Brian.

Exapno, the more you simplify your diet, the easier giving up sugar becomes regardless of who is eating around you. i was a vegan for 18 years; eating organic eggs, butter, wild salmon, now, but many vegan dishes, still. The longer i continued with my simple meals, the harder it was to eat things with sugar as my body just could not tolerate it very well. i, occasionally, eat some things with sugar, but not very often as it is just too much for me, now. Good luck to you.

75 20,883
 01-03-2013, 07:14 PM
User Info
(01-01-2013, 03:55 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I have a book by Dr. Scott Olson called "Sugarettes". He compares sugar addiction to nicotine addiction. Pretty easy read & quite infoative. I can't argue with 10% body fat though, well done on that. I'll be happy with 15-18%. Sugar-free alone won't get me there though. I'll be doing my rowing HIIT more frequently along with my sugar-free month.

I eat a slice of Costco pizza for lunch, shake for breakfast sometimes I supplement it with yogurt, shake after workout, dinner usually consists of whole wheat pasta. The sauce is just marinara + cheese.

I probably just eat less than most people. Combined with a fast metabolism and religious workout scheduling, I'm pretty fit.

9 2,988
 01-05-2013, 07:20 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I was out on day one! Biggrin Since I was already out, I figured I might as well have some Twizzlers this afternoon.

45 16,339