01-01-2013, 12:52 PM
User Info
After seeing the "apple brush" thread that Gary had started I contact him to see if one of the maple finish handles would be available.

The same day he sent off the brush and two days later, it was at my door.

The handle itself is nothing fancy, just a nice simple wood handle that has a triple coat matte Minwax Polycrylic finish. The size feels good in my hands, very similar in feel to my beloved Semogue 1438. I personally love the look and feel of it. Gary did a very nice job with it.

This knot is very different than any other knot that I have purchased. Out of the package the first thing you notice is the extreme softness and how well packed that it is. Ace Shaving claims that this knot is hand packed, compared to most knots that are machine packed. Well I am believer, as this knot feels better than any high end brush that I have felt.

To achieve the height of the loft that I wanted, I first glued in two nickels at the bottom of opening. I eye balled it, it looked good so I set it.

Here is the brush pre-bloom:
[Image: 932BEBE9-9E7F-4C79-AB8E-D782C74EE8D4.JPG]

Here are some photos of it post bloom, along with the other restores that I had done in December. The new brush is the one on the right.

[Image: 68A6E8A4-CEF2-4BFB-9CA6-247E5E7B2CB6.JPG]
Post Bloom, front view.

[Image: 6C9CFCA9-7C4F-470A-97D4-25ED38AFAC19.JPG]
Post Bloom, top view.

[Image: 2486851C-7946-4E89-8602-FF491717911C.JPG]
Picture of my restores from December, the new GDC/Ace Knot is the one of the far left.

The new brush used for my SOTD, New Years Day 2013.

This brush holds a much larger amount of water than the TGN knot. Building a great lather was easy, with no additional water needed.

I can say hands down this has become my favorite brush. Thanks Gary!!!

5 833
 01-01-2013, 01:01 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Nice post and pictures , sir.

How would you compare (talking about hair density) this Ace shaving silvertip with the Silvertip knots from TGN?

It seems that the Ace shaving is quiet a soft hair , right , with not much of a firm backbone , nothing wrong with that ,btw) right ?

86 7,124
 01-01-2013, 01:12 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Arley

Nicely done Thumbsup

That looks like some crazy good bloom.

What loft did you end up with?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-01-2013, 06:46 PM
User Info
(01-01-2013, 12:52 PM)Azarius Wrote: After seeing the "apple brush" thread that Gary had started I contact him to see if one of the maple finish handles would be available.

The same day he sent off the brush and two days later, it was at my door.

The handle itself is nothing fancy, just a nice simple wood handle that has a triple coat matte Minwax Polycrylic finish. The size feels good in my hands, very similar in feel to my beloved Semogue 1438. I personally love the look and feel of it. Gary did a very nice job with it.

This knot is very different than any other knot that I have purchased. Out of the package the first thing you notice is the extreme softness and how well packed that it is. Ace Shaving claims that this knot is hand packed, compared to most knots that are machine packed. Well I am believer, as this knot feels better than any high end brush that I have felt.

To achieve the height of the loft that I wanted, I first glued in two nickels at the bottom of opening. I eye balled it, it looked good so I set it.

Here is the brush pre-bloom:
[Image: 932BEBE9-9E7F-4C79-AB8E-D782C74EE8D4.JPG]

Here are some photos of it post bloom, along with the other restores that I had done in December. The new brush is the one on the right.

[Image: 68A6E8A4-CEF2-4BFB-9CA6-247E5E7B2CB6.JPG]
Post Bloom, front view.

[Image: 6C9CFCA9-7C4F-470A-97D4-25ED38AFAC19.JPG]
Post Bloom, top view.

[Image: 2486851C-7946-4E89-8602-FF491717911C.JPG]
Picture of my restores from December, the new GDC/Ace Knot is the one of the far left.

The new brush used for my SOTD, New Years Day 2013.

This brush holds a much larger amount of water than the TGN knot. Building a great lather was easy, with no additional water needed.

I can say hands down this has become my favorite brush. Thanks Gary!!!

Arley,

I am glad you like the new handle. Easier to work than doing a restoration of a vintage handle isn't it. I hope you enjoy it.
I will be working up some handles in the near future with the sales potential.

(01-01-2013, 01:01 PM)Teiste Wrote: Nice post and pictures , sir.

How would you compare (talking about hair density) this Ace shaving silvertip with the Silvertip knots from TGN?

It seems that the Ace shaving is quiet a soft hair , right , with not much of a firm backbone , nothing wrong with that ,btw) right ?

There are two Ace Shaving silvertip knot types. The 20mm, 22mm (discontinued), 23mm and 27mm (currently not available) all are on the order of the TGN Grade A, but in my opinion are softer, more consistent and have only slightly less backbone than TGN Grade A. I have not had one of these display prickliness as some have discussed in the TGN silvertip knots.

The second type of silvertip by Ace is only found in the 24.5 mm which is even softer than this one. In fact it is the softest knot that is available to the public that I know of through regular sales channels. It is softer than TGNs Super Badger (which is soft) but has more backbone.

Here is my rundown of Ace Shaving Products versus TGN.

Generally I have found the following between the two.
TGN - Finest* and Super Badger are better ACE.
ACE - Silvertip and Best are better than TGN.

* No equivalent from Ace Shaving.

The Ace Best is really a sleeper knot. Inexpensive, yet soft and has good backbone.

None of the Ace Shaving line has backbone like the Finest, but to be direct, they don't need to. The ones they have available in my opinion out perform the TGN equivalents.

This knot in the thread below is same Ace Shaving silvertip that Arley used.

http://shavenook.com/thread-first-handle...se-to-come

All three of these are Ace Shaving and the Burma Shave redux is a joy to use.

http://shavenook.com/thread-the-three-badgers

I hope this provides some clarification.

Cheers.

1 2,827
 01-01-2013, 06:53 PM
User Info
I would say that this has far greater backbone than the TGN knot. The Vie-Long in the middle has a TGN 22mm knot. Mind you, it is set higher, so by nature it is going to be more floppy, but the Ace Knot is backed very dense. I need to post more pictures after proper drying.

I will take some more pics over the coming days, but this is tomorrows SOTD pic:
[Image: 483285_565400933474580_987025404_n.jpg]
As you can see, a very dense knot and very, very soft.

I will take measurements of as soon that I find my tools. I have no idea where my wife put them. I am OCD, so I always keep my things in the same place, arranged a certain way...it is just the way I am. But when I need something can I find it...nooooo, she has to move things around. Sometimes I think she does these things just to mess with me Wink

5 833
 01-01-2013, 10:24 PM
User Info
Some more pics:

[Image: GDC-AceShaving-Bloom03.jpg]

[Image: GDC-AceShaving-Bloom04.jpg]

[Image: GDC-AceShaving-Bloom05.jpg]

[Image: GDC-AceShaving-Bloom05.jpg]

5 833
 01-02-2013, 12:19 AM
User Info
what's the cost on these?

40 5,830
 01-02-2013, 07:03 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Thanks, very informative.

12 743
 01-02-2013, 04:06 PM
User Info
(01-02-2013, 12:19 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: what's the cost on these?

The 22 mm silvertips have been replaced by the 23 mm.

You can only buy them in sets of two. Ace Shaving pairs or triples their knots. Only big knots (over 24 mm) are sold individually. The cost is abut $44 for two knots including shipping.

Here is some news from Ace Shaving.

Hi,

27mm silvetip knot is not available, but I'm going to sell 26mm, 28mm and 29mm silvertip knots by the middle or the end of this month.
Please visit me then!

Thanks

- aceshaving

1 2,827