01-01-2013, 02:13 PM
  • roggen
  • SoJo, Utah
User Info
I have had to hold back today. Felt I should only do a two pass shave as my face is not used to this everyday shaving yet. I have historically only shaved 2-3 times a week, as shaving was just not enjoyable. But now that I am using the DE with proper lather I want to shave more. So today I had to take it easy. I still got a good shave just not a bbs!

Hopefully my face will adjust quickly!

0 34
 01-01-2013, 02:24 PM
User Info
A good 2 pass DFS is always better than a 3 pass BBS that leaves you all torn up.

5 938
 01-01-2013, 02:28 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(01-01-2013, 02:24 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: A good 2 pass DFS is always better than a 3 pass BBS that leaves you all torn up.

7 858
 01-01-2013, 02:37 PM
User Info
I have to be honest, it's not your face, it's technique.

That means everything from lather to no pressure being applied to the razor. IMO, once you get technique down you'll be able to shave with any razor you want to every day of the week.

Biggrin OK, now having written that, I enjoy a less aggressive razor every now and then just for a break in the action.

But at the start you should go easy, forget the bbs, and just go for a bloodless DFS. You're still learning Grasshopper. Go slow, keep fundamentals in mind for every shave and pretty soon you'll be at your shaving Phd ceremony and wonder how you ever got there. That might not makes sense now, but it will. Yes, I know, everyone wants a BBS right out of the gate but it takes learning technique and that doesn't happen overnight. I hope you don't have any, bit expect setbacks and days where things just don't go right with the shave. That's when you dissect what you did and just where it went wrong.

When you need help, we're here. Even if you don't need help (the best situation) we want to hear from you.

32 6,304
 01-01-2013, 04:01 PM
User Info
Our bodies tell us much more than we typically pay attention to. Take a break when you need to. No need to force a shave in there even if it is enjoyable at the risk of doing any damage.

That said I agree with SD, omce technique is down you can shave with any razor daily without any issues. The important part is that your enjoying your shaves now! Thumbup

31 7,892
 01-01-2013, 04:05 PM
User Info
If I tear up my face, I'll go one pass, with the grain to recover for a day or two.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

97 615
 01-01-2013, 04:15 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Technique and prep are paramount, but a mild razor and less passes every other day will assist with everyday shaving...

91 17,620
 01-01-2013, 05:42 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
My skin is very sensitive and I only shave 3 times a week.

I've been shaving for some 45 years and I've been doing the enhanced traditional wetshave of these forums for over six. While technique is of paramount importance, it doesn't always account for all of the variables.

- Murray

Edit: Rereading my original post, above, the wording seems a bit more curt than I had intended.

Many new wetshavers think they have sensitive skin because of the effects of cartridge razors and canned shaving foam or gel, or because of as-yet-unrefined shaving technique with traditional tools. So Rye, experience will tell.

My point is that a few of us do have truly sensitive skin. In my own case, a two-and-a-half-pass shave three times a week is less irritating than a one-pass shave every day. I don't have to wear a closed collar and tie to work, so I don't have to worry about tearing up collars.

4 1,150
 01-01-2013, 05:47 PM
User Info
Best of luck to you!

74 20,808
 01-02-2013, 03:29 AM
User Info
Better to go easy and enjoy it than go all the way and regret it... I tend to stick to a two-pass shave (WTG and XTG) and get a DFS that is close enough to a BBS for no one else than me to know the difference.

Sometimes I lather up and 'shave' with no blade in the razor, just to enjoy going through the motions as it where. Can be quite relaxing Tongue

3 3,446
 01-02-2013, 06:00 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I have yet to accomplish a truly irritation-free BBS shave, though I can do it with way less irritation than I did with a cartridge.

Because of that, I mostly save it for special occasions, plus the odd random time.

Mostly I go WTG, XTG, then XTG the other direction. It gets really close to a BBS with way less stress on the skin.

10 1,858
 01-02-2013, 06:01 AM
User Info
I got in the habit of daily shaving when I first joined the Army. We all shaved every day, with very no exceptions for sensitive skin (there were very few medical waivers due to shaving bumps). There was NO TIME for a proper shave. All my shaves were one pass, N-S, done in seconds; and while not close, I was clean shaven and passed daily inspections.

I learned my appearance can be clean shaven without a lot of passes, scraping, blade buffing, touch up, etc.

Many of us would be well advised to hold back.

0 140