01-01-2013, 07:29 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I have not used any soap-based product on my scalp for thirty years. Is my scalp clean? Yes, very. Do I get dandruff? No. Flaky skin? No. Are there any irritations or problems? No.

Why? Because soap and shampoo destroyed my scalp for years and I thought I had some horrible disease. I clean with a $2 scalp brush vigorously under the shower each day; keeps the hair clean and shiny, and my hair, my wife tells me, smells almost floral and pleasant. Sounds too good to be true?

Well, the first week you'll think you have made a mistake, as the hair gets greasy, but it settles and you'll love it eventually. If you have dandruff or itchy scalp I recommend you at least try this and persevere. There are other people I know now do this and have been astonished at the results. The only time people have failed is when they don't try to keep their hair clean through other means (such as what I recommend) and just let it fester. Ugh. No. I have short hair too, and that helps I think.

Just noticed the other thread on this very topic called 'no poo' (scroll through) Excellent. Especially liked Shadow's thoughts. Like him, I am an 'only water' man. Now if only I could get rid of the psoriasis on my lower right leg...

0 1,625
 01-01-2013, 08:06 PM
User Info
Yes, a number of us do that. I couldn't be happier since I began using no poo.

Here's a thread from awhile back. >>> Click Here <<<

32 6,311
 01-01-2013, 09:39 PM
User Info
My wife recently go me hooked on WEN...its a latherless cleansing conditioner...doesn't strip the hair/scalp of its natural oils and conditions like no other. I will never go back to lathering shampoo.

http://m.wenhaircare.com/about#header

5 938
 01-02-2013, 03:38 AM
User Info
I tried it and it wasn't for me - my dandruff wouldn't settle down. The one thing I brought with me from the experiment is using a scrubby brush when I do my head though; alongside Br Bronner's Magic Teatree Soap it really cuts back on the problem I had.

3 3,580
 01-02-2013, 03:57 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Yes dandruff can be a serious problem. I wonder if you have a form or eczema or psoriasis though? Have you ever had it properly looked at by a dermatologist? It might not actually be dandruff. Just saying, like.

0 1,625
 01-02-2013, 04:06 AM
User Info
Do you have a link to the type of brush you use on your scalp?

31 7,914
 01-02-2013, 04:22 AM
User Info
(01-02-2013, 03:57 AM)Shaun Wrote: Yes dandruff can be a serious problem. I wonder if you have a form or eczema or psoriasis though? Have you ever had it properly looked at by a dermatologist? It might not actually be dandruff. Just saying, like.

Probably is a mild eczema of some form; my brother has a bad case of it. My doctor suggested various medicated shampoos; none of which works as well as the teatree soap Undecided

3 3,580
 01-02-2013, 04:36 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-02-2013, 04:22 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 03:57 AM)Shaun Wrote: Yes dandruff can be a serious problem. I wonder if you have a form or eczema or psoriasis though? Have you ever had it properly looked at by a dermatologist? It might not actually be dandruff. Just saying, like.

Probably is a mild eczema of some form; my brother has a bad case of it. My doctor suggested various medicated shampoos; none of which works as well as the teatree soap Undecided

Sympathy. I have later in life developed an intensely irritating psoriasis on my lower right leg shin area which I am trying to treat with cortisone. All I end up with is a shiny scaly patch that I dare not touch otherwise it sets the itch factor off into orbit. ooooh but it feeels GOOOOOD when I scratch it ahhhhh ahhhhh, but the pain afterwards, an even the blood aargh! Does anyone know any home remedies for this blight?

0 1,625
 01-02-2013, 06:18 AM
User Info
Look into coconut oil.

31 7,914
 01-04-2013, 01:02 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-02-2013, 04:06 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Do you have a link to the type of brush you use on your scalp?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150882370432?hlp=false

Cheap at half the price. Am I allowed to post this here??

0 1,625
 01-05-2013, 03:33 PM
User Info
Thanks Shaun!

Presently I'm using a back scrubbing brush with the handle chopped off and I'd like something different.

32 6,311
 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM
User Info
Shaun, my scalp brushes came in and today was the first use. It's what I wanted months ago. Works fine, one should last a lifetime, and I have 3.

32 6,311
 01-24-2013, 12:25 PM
User Info
(01-02-2013, 04:36 AM)Shaun Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 04:22 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:

Sympathy. I have later in life developed an intensely irritating psoriasis on my lower right leg shin area which I am trying to treat with cortisone. All I end up with is a shiny scaly patch that I dare not touch otherwise it sets the itch factor off into orbit. ooooh but it feeels GOOOOOD when I scratch it ahhhhh ahhhhh, but the pain afterwards, an even the blood aargh! Does anyone know any home remedies for this blight?

.....have you tried raw unrefined shea butter?

39 1,054
 01-26-2013, 04:12 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(01-24-2013, 12:25 PM)leonidas Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 04:36 AM)Shaun Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 04:22 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Probably is a mild eczema of some form; my brother has a bad case of it. My doctor suggested various medicated shampoos; none of which works as well as the teatree soap Undecided

.....have you tried raw unrefined shea butter?

Nope, but I will when I find a source! Thanks for the tip.

(01-23-2013, 04:40 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Shaun, my scalp brushes came in and today was the first use. It's what I wanted months ago. Works fine, one should last a lifetime, and I have 3.

I am glad! They tend to wear a bit after a time; the first few uses are a bit intensely scritchy (where have I heard that before?) but they settle and they feel nicer on the scalp. Yes, they last ages. Three should get you through a few years :O)

0 1,625
 02-07-2013, 06:38 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
+5 for organic raw unrefined shea butter. Great thread about it on this forum.

14 870
 02-08-2013, 05:24 PM
User Info
+6 for Shea butter. Great for the scalp and I use it a lot on my shaved head.

3 315
 02-09-2013, 09:41 AM
User Info
I use either dr bronners shikaki or j&j baby shampoo about every 3 days. Makes my hair feel refreshed without stripping out the nutrients.

Sent from my Amaze 4G

1 67
 02-09-2013, 10:22 AM
User Info
I just use the Tallow Soap I use on the rest of my body (Stirling), works fine for me.

47 1,114
 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM
  • slr31
  • Garden City, India
User Info
I read about this method of brushing wet hair in shower on B&B (may be it was your post Shaun on B&B as well) and got started. That made sense to me and my goal was to eliminate all shampoo including the baking soda routine and only having to brush wet hair in shower.

But then I read somewhere that hair is very fragile when wet and can easily break due to brushing. This created doubt and so stopped following this method. I don't want to accelerate hair loss as that is exactly the problem I was looking to solve.

Any comments or input appreciated.

64 529
 04-04-2013, 10:20 AM
User Info
slr, I think the hair loss you refer to is at the root. The breaking of a hair strand isn't "hair loss", as in male baldness. The hair will grow back unless the root was dying anyway.

I should only be so lucky that wet hair easily breaks off. Not that I've noticed, ever, unfortunately. I still need to give myself a buzz cut every 2 weeks despite using a scalp brush on my wet hair every shower, and the hair is very full and thick if I let it grow out. That's one reason I don't. It's way too much of a good thing when it gets long.

32 6,311