01-02-2013, 10:44 AM
User Info
So I got some r160 a bit back. It was a toss up between that and Cella. Anyway, i've used it maybe 6 or 7 times. No noticible trouble. Today I really lathered up, had a decent shave. But something is driving me crazy! Is it the coconut oil that people get irritation from with these italian almond soaps? Or is it the almond oil/parfum? I know MdC has Coconut Oil and that surely hasn't given me any troubles.

I don't know if it's the cold, or i just never noticed it before. Not burning, but a irritated itch. Just used some AV afterwards which never gives me any trouble.

I really like the soap, not sure why it took so long to notice.

11 183
 01-02-2013, 11:18 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I've had random itchy spots before, but they usually seem to be a result of irritation. One spot below my jawline I have to be especially careful with. Never noticed it from a soap before.

35 1,732
 01-02-2013, 11:36 AM
User Info
Hmm. Hopefully it's not the soap then. Maybe the cold did aggrevate something. I will have to try something a little thicker like a balm on these very cold mornings!

11 183
 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
There is only one way to discover it (if you have an allergic reaction to that soap) : use it again.I have experienced the same in the past , but Im afraid that the burn came from other factors , like having my skin ultra dry , over exfoliating my skin with a pure badger brush...

86 7,124
 01-02-2013, 11:51 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
When it's cold and the air is dry, I have to be more careful about moisturizing, and about getting all the soap and alum residue off my face.

10 1,858
 01-02-2013, 12:06 PM
User Info
It was about 8 degrees F out when I left the house. It'll be cold out tomorrow as well so may have to try again. Maybe a rinsing issue combined with the cold weather as Songwind mentioned!

11 183
 01-02-2013, 12:11 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Zenless lather it up and put some on your arm. If it burns there, you have an allergy to it. Don't put it back on your face

116 3,804
 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM
User Info
Get some more moisturizing agents on your skin. An AS like Krampert's Finest is very moisturizing & made a big difference for me. Unrefined Shea Butter could also be a great option for you.

31 7,914
 01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
User Info
Hmm, I had assumed it was the soap but it doesn't burn and effect wasn't until after I had been in the office a couple hours. Thanks for the tips, sounds like the cold/dry air is getting me!

11 183
 01-02-2013, 12:59 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(01-02-2013, 12:30 PM)zenless Wrote: Hmm, I had assumed it was the soap but it doesn't burn and effect wasn't until after I had been in the office a couple hours. Thanks for the tips, sounds like the cold/dry air is getting me!

Clearly, you're allergic to the boss.

10 1,858
 01-03-2013, 01:29 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-02-2013, 12:59 PM)Songwind Wrote:
(01-02-2013, 12:30 PM)zenless Wrote: Hmm, I had assumed it was the soap but it doesn't burn and effect wasn't until after I had been in the office a couple hours. Thanks for the tips, sounds like the cold/dry air is getting me!

Clearly, you're allergic to the boss.

OR WORK! Tongue

91 17,884
 01-07-2013, 06:57 AM
User Info
Hah. I think i'm more allergic to home life some days. I think it was just the cold weather. I smeared some soap on my arm and let it sit a while, no sensation, not even red or anything. So i just brought some Nivea aftershave to leave at work on cold mornings to re-hydrate when i get in the office.

11 183
 01-07-2013, 03:35 PM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
I've just noticed that I get a bad itch from the Tabac shaving soap stick. Sad I LOVE the scent and performance, but I get a pronounced itchy face and neck if I use it. Not unbearable but enough that I don't want to use it any more... It's not like a "burn" so much as an itch. I've not really been allergic to any shaving products before but now I've noticed this, plus La Toja shaving stick seems to be itchy too but not as bad.

Anyway, don't mean to hijack - just want to let you know that I have a similar experience with a different soap, and it is a bummer when you love the scent!!

(01-02-2013, 11:51 AM)Songwind Wrote: When it's cold and the air is dry, I have to be more careful about moisturizing, and about getting all the soap and alum residue off my face.

Maybe that's what it is - with a soap stick, you really rub in the soap before you lather (v. cream). Maybe I'm not washing off the residue good enough. Zenless maybe you could lather on your hand/arm then really wash it off and see if the itching remains?

15 185
 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
When I lived in Minneapolis I had a run of itchy dry skin one winter caused by the excessive cold. I got itchy with almost every soap or cream, and finally found out from a neighbor that Cornhuskers as a balm afterward would take away the itch. I also found that Trumper Coral Skin Food had the same effect, but at a WAY higher cost.

There is a more insidious thing called "Chillblains pernio" and it affects people of all ages. It occurs from flash freezing during extreme cold spells. For this you would need to see a doctor as it affects the smallest blood vessels in your face. Most of us don't cover our faces sufficiently in extreme cold. As an example: One time I left a cup of cocoa on my fence post as I went back for my keys and after only moments...maybe a minute at most the cup was almost solid frozen. Imagine your face in temps like this...You may not notice it at all except for when you shave.

Good Luck!

68 1,417