01-02-2013, 01:00 PM
User Info
I've wanted a Hart razor since they first came out. There's a lot to like about them, but I'll admit that they are not great value for the money. Before the Hart fans get the rope to string me up, I think they are worth the asking price, but there are no bargains there, as with an old established brand like Revisor, which provides a lot of razor for the asking price. Further, a three hundred dollar plus price tage puts them into pretty lofty territory with the best the world has to offer... still, I want one!
I have a friend that owns one and raves about it. I think the choice of steel is about right for the job at hand, and I'm a fan of heavy grinds, so what's not to like. They're simple in adornment which suits my reserved style... I'm looking for a quality tool, not window dressing.
So, I'd like to hear the opinions of those that actually own one, or more of the Hart razors..
Honest opinions please, and please, no hearsay or second hand opinions. I'd like to hear from actual owners..

0 323
 01-02-2013, 02:31 PM
User Info
I received one for Christmas. It's a 7/8 with a round point and the black resin scales.

I shaved with it right out of the box, without stroping it. It's a great shaver. I haven't had it long enough to comment on honing issues.

The scales are basic plastic, and the inside of them is rough and unfinished. I've read the same comment about the inside of the wood scales on another forum.

The blade is not engraved, which I actually prefer. A straight is working tool and all engraving wears off if you use the blade regularly anyway.

The hex nut pivot pin is a huge plus. No more having to tap loose pins which are just going to get loose again.

In terms of price these run just under $300. Some of the high end Dovos are already at that price, and many TI's run over $300.

They're made in USA, which, to me, is significant.

It' still early, but my initial impressions of the blade are highly positive. I may order the 6/8 to see how that one handles and shaves. These Hart quarter hollows may become my favorite blade.

37 2,958
 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM
User Info
There really isn't anything more to say. You've covered all the bases OP.

They're exactly what you've said they are. Good steel. Hard steel. Plain looking. If that's what you want, go for it! I'm not going to stop you. You already know all the cons.

9 2,988
 01-02-2013, 03:17 PM
User Info
(01-02-2013, 02:31 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I received one for Christmas. It's a 7/8 with a round point and the black resin scales.

I shaved with it right out of the box, without stroping it. It's a great shaver. I haven't had it long enough to comment on honing issues.

The scales are basic plastic, and the inside of them is rough and unfinished. I've read the same comment about the inside of the wood scales on another forum.

The blade is not engraved, which I actually prefer. A straight is working tool and all engraving wears off if you use the blade regularly anyway.

The hex nut pivot pin is a huge plus. No more having to tap loose pins which are just going to get loose again.

In terms of price these run just under $300. Some of the high end Dovos are already at that price, and many TI's run over $300.

They're made in USA, which, to me, is significant.

It' still early, but my initial impressions of the blade are highly positive. I may order the 6/8 to see how that one handles and shaves. These Hart quarter hollows may become my favorite blade.

Thank you, sir...

Exactly the type of info I'm looking for!

Any others??

0 323
 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I have a 6/8 Hart and it's a nice shaving razor, no complaints. Good steel and pure function, nothing fancy.

12 743
 01-02-2013, 07:50 PM
  • mantic59
  • Unregistered
User Info
I have a 7/8 quarter hollow Hart. I'm trying to get used to its sheer size: the combination of 7/8 and quarter hollow give me a lot less tactile feedback than the other straights I have. As a "newbie" to straights this has caused me a couple fairly nasty cuts. On the other hand it just plows through my toughest stubble. They're worth the money but are a bit too much razor for the beginner (IMO).

01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
User Info
Thanks to everyone for your input.. It's been very helpful.

0 323
 01-03-2013, 10:53 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Pretty much everything that needs to be said has been, but I'll throw in my 2 cents

I own many "high end" razors. And I love my Hart. If you like a hefty blade with no frills, look no further. If you like gold wash and fancy materials, then its not the razor for you.

The scales aren't fancy, but they work and aren't temperamental. A plus in my book. I don't need another set of ivory scales to worry about. There is no gold wash to rub off. I judge my razors based on how they shave, and my 7/8 Square Point Hart gives my other blades a run for their money.

9 541