01-02-2013, 04:12 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I picked up this beauty for the handle, but when it arrived I realized that this boar knot is in really good shape. It's large! Way larger than my Omega 10275 or my restores with 50mm loft Omega boar knot TGN sells. I test lathered it and it felt great. So I washed it thoroughly and decided to try shaving with it. It worked really well. As I said it's big and I am not crazy about big brushes, but somehow I like this one. I am not so sure I want to re-knot it. The handle is gorgeous. Very comfortable and beautiful. I really enjoy boar brushes, but have not bought too many. Love the Omega 10275 and the Omega TGN knots are simply wonderful in my vintage handles (EV 100T and Stanley Home Products). Had a Semogue 1305, but sold it as it was too large and too floppy, still have Semogue 1470, but can't seem to make it work for me. This mystery brush, however is amazing in so many ways! It's soft (looks fully broken in), dense and fairly strong in backbone. Holds tons of lather if not soaked long. If soaked long it tends to eat lather, but that seems to be the case with most boars, contrary to most of what I read on forums. If I soak it for about 5 minutes it works great, but if I soak it for an hour it's pretty useless for lathering and shaving.

Anyway, I would like to know more about this brush. If anyone knows the manufacturer (I think it's German) or any kind of info about it please let me know.

Here are the pics.

25 1,705
 01-02-2013, 04:42 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
That's an awesome looking boar brush. Where did you find it?

45 3,955
 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
What is that handle made out of? The look of the boar, knot, and metal ring have the look of Semogue on them.

I would not re-knot this brush. It looks like high quality boar.

173 23,558
 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(01-02-2013, 06:04 PM)Johnny Wrote: What is that handle made out of? The look of the boar, knot, and metal ring have the look of Semogue on them.

I would not re-knot this brush. It looks like high quality boar.

I'd have to agree, the metal ring, density, swirl and general "bedhead" appearance scream Semogue. I'd definitely skip re-knotting...this may very well be a vintage Semogue and in damn fine shape.

31 1,510
 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM
User Info
Wow, what a beauty!

75 20,884
 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thats a stunning vintage boar brush , and that boar hair seems to be a really quality one.That was a great find , but are you sure that its German ? German brushes , (vintage ones) , used to have the "Made in W. Germany" stamped on the bottom of the brush , or on the sticker.Maybe is a Made in England one.Either way , stunning brush ! VIVA LA BOAR !!!

86 7,124
 01-03-2013, 04:51 AM
User Info
That's a nice looking brush, I love that handle!

31 1,800
 01-03-2013, 05:15 AM
User Info
I really don't think that it's a Semogue.
That handle strongly resembles some vintage German boar brushes.

Some German manufacturers, (mainly W. Germany) had stickers in English, probably for the foreign markets. Here's a good example of that, and another one here.

However, without the "Made in W. Germany" mark, we are unsure. Maybe the sticker came out and was lost.

One thing is for sure, that is a really beautiful item, and the bristles seem to be damn good!

2 5,532
 01-03-2013, 08:37 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
thank you, gentlemen for the compliments on the brush. I agree. It is a beauty and I will not re-knot it. I used it twice and the first time I soaked it for too long (over an hour as I got side-tracked from shaving) and it did not work well at all. It ate the lather and I had to go back to the tub for more for pass 3. The second time I used it I only soaked it while I brushed my teeth (that's what I do with badgers and my Omega boars). The brush worked wonderfully that time. Tons of lather and after 3 passes and touch-up I had enough for an alum wash with the remnants. there was a lot of lather in those bristles. It's funny, but for me soaking boars for a long time makes them eat lather, but if I soak them for a few minutes they work great. It's against all the wisdom out there, but my experience is thus. Anyway, the brush is a bit of a shedder, but not bad. I must say that I have not seen a vintage boar brush that did not shed. This one sheds a little, but not bad at all. Also, it is really dense, so there is lots of life left in it even if it continues to shed at the present rate. the knot is huge. I think it's a SOC caliber or even larger. I am not a big fan of huge knots, so this bugs me a bit and I have ears full of lather, but the brush feels absolutely divine on the face. It is a super brush! I am really happy with it. As far as markings, there are none. The sticker is partially disintegrated and it has something that says "Pure Bristle" in English and "Sanitized" or something like that. Most of that sticker is gone. No other markings at all. The handle is plastic or resin, I can't tell. It is very solid feeling and has a great shape to it. Butterscotch on top is round and the black part is faceted on four sides, which makes it very comfortable. Just a great brush all around. The seller said it was German. I have no evidence of it, but the metal ring and "bedhead" up top are not unique to Semogue. There are vintage German brushes that have this very look. I started this thread to see if anyone can identify this brush. Either from having had one before or seen one... Whatever it is, it's a great shaving brush that works amazingly well.

25 1,705