01-03-2013, 05:48 PM
User Info
Wondering if anybody here has experience with mechanical strops (like the Kanner Slyde Stroke) -- and if so, how they compare to regular leather strops. Do they do a better job generally? Worse? About equal?

They seem to have a little collectible value aside from the more obvious use - what does one look for in a straight-razor compatible mechanical strop? Are there any new ones currently being manufactured, or is it strictly a vintage market? What is the gold standard in mechanical strops, or some of the other good name brands?

Have to say I am more than curious about the subject, thanks for any help -

Dan

0 7
 01-03-2013, 07:16 PM
User Info
Having no idea how they actually work, there is a good reason they didn't catch on.

9 2,988
 01-04-2013, 10:31 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I once saw a couple for sale at an antique store....I would've bought one, but one had no leather and on the other one the leather looked like dried out, half chewed beef jerky lol

If you can see it in person, I'd just make sure that the surface of the leather is in good shape and that it's still very flexible (unlike a regular strop, these have to do quite a bit of bending without wrinkling or cracking).
Also make sure that the mechanisms work smoothly and that the blade guide aligns properly in both directions

If I ever make it back to that place I might pick one up to play with, see if I can easily replace the leather, assuming the price is reasonable

10 411
 01-04-2013, 11:55 AM
User Info
I got curious, and found that you can make big profit selling them - or so they claimed, one hundred years ago. Go forward a couple of pages and see another one, which would net you 50 to 100$ a week if you signed up to sell... amazing little bit of history there I didn't know about until right now Smile

3 3,580