01-05-2013, 01:16 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
For Christmas, I got a new Simpson Commodore X2 in Best Badger. I'd been considering getting a Simpson brush for a while now, and I'm glad I have one.

Size
Knot: 22mm
Loft: 50mm
Handle: 45mm

Performance
I'm definitely impressed with this brush. It picks up soap as pretty as you please, but also whips a nice froth onto a cream.

The knot is dense, but retains a nice flexibility. On the face it feels soft with a bit of scrub when it's full of lather, turning into a slight scritch once the knot empties. It works nicely with painting strokes or circles.

The handle is easy to hold on to, and comfortable in my hand. Visually, it's also interesting, which is a plus. It's turned, not cast, so there are no mold marks or flashing on it. The polish is excellent, and no tool marks are visible, either. It is a comfortable, solid weight in the hand.

The sticker on mine was well attached, and the embossing is mostly clean, with a little roughness in the sharper corners of some of the letters.

Conclusion
As one expects from a company like Simpson, this is an excellent product. Both build quality and performance place in squarely near the top of my rotation.

Pictures
[Image: bBMiAl.jpg?1]
Here it is before use.

[Image: 0zcQP.jpg]
And after blooming

[Image: 8mOSM.jpg]
Knot density

10 1,858
 01-05-2013, 01:42 PM
User Info
Excellent review Eric. Thanks for putting the time into this and sharing it with us. As I've mentioned to you elsewhere I would still have my X2 if it didn't bloom as much as it did.

I hope you continue to enjoy yours, it sure is a great entry into the Simpson brush range.

31 7,914
 01-05-2013, 03:10 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Eric

Nice to hear you're enjoying your first Simpsons brush, there is something (very) special about them (IMHO), besides the history and tradition...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-05-2013, 03:13 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks for the review Eric, enjoy you Christmas gift!

91 17,883
 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM
User Info
Very nice review Smile

Very nice looking brush too - clean classic lines, love it !

22 5,078
 01-05-2013, 09:27 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Excellent review !

While I havent trid the X2 , I owned an X1 , which was the best Simpson brush I have tried or owned.Yes , and I sold it...Angry I have been thinking in getting another X1 , but I think that I wont like it as much (dont ask me why) , so I have been considering getting an X2.They have excellent prices for the quality that they offer , as you have pointed too.

86 7,124