02-26-2012, 10:17 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1230340.jpg]

When Phil (<!-- w -->http://www.bullgooseshaving.net<!-- w -->) that he was gonna carry this shaving cream,I did inmediatly order him a tube,since I sent mine to another person and I found later that I was missing it from mine daily shaves.

This is another fantastic german shaving cream,in the same line than Speick,Anne Marie Borlind,Edwin Jagger/Muhle (it seems to me that these creams are german too, despise the Made in Uk in the box) Logonna and Weleda,whith a good price and really good skin care.

Presentation : this cream comes in a 100ml metal tube.

Its ingredients are :

[Image: P1230341.jpg]

As you can read has cononut,palm and stearic acid,as well as Olive oil,Chamomille,Vitamin E...

If we compare it with the Nivea shaving cream (another great cream) this one has more concentration of palm,coconut and stearic acid oils.

Nivea shaving cream ingredients:

Aqua, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Olea Europaea, Parfum, Dimethicone, Maris Sal, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Cocoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Limonene

Im glad that Beiersdorf (lthel company behind Nivea which bought this brand a couple years ago) have kept its original  formulation,which its a sign of great skin care,like the best german shaving creams,besides Tabula Rasa.

Longevity: this cream its more liquid than Speick or Anne Marie Borlind.I always use an almond size and in the past,a 100ml shaving cream, have lasted me around two months of daily use.

[Image: P1230342.jpg]

Ease of lathering :here are some pics making lather with this cream using a "humble" boar brush,the Vulfix VS5,which its another great discovery for me.

[Image: P1230347.jpg]

And after a minute making lather on the palm of my hand:

[Image: P1230348.jpg]

Lather quality :very good.Maybe not as thick as some guys like,due,I guess,to the olive oil,but the content of olive oil its great,as I will mention later,when we talk about slickness and protection of the skin.

Skin care :This its where this cream shines.If you have read its ingredients,you already know that it has olive oil,and I noticed that when the razor glides on my skin during the shave.My skin its "protected" by a layer of oil and this its great if  you have a very dry skin as I do.I can feel my skin well protected during the shave and I would say that this cream keeps the "hydration" levels and dont let the skin to dry during the shave.

Post shave: The dry skins lime mine are grateful for shaving creams/soaps which has a good formulation and this is the case with this shaving cream.My skin feels smooth after the shave,with no irritations,red zones or dryness at all.Do I need a balm?Oh yes,I do,but I could easily avoid it and leave my skin as it is after the shave and wont noticed any of the signs of a dry skin.

Scent :smells like the actual Nivea shaving cream,kind of citrus and
fresh but a little bit sinthetic.Its nice but not something to crave for.Its a light scent which wont last after the shave,so it wont interfere with the shaving lotion or balm that well use after.

Price : I got it at (as always SUPERB service,thanks Phil!!!)BullGoose Shaving Supplies -Traditional Wetshaving Supplies for 9 dollars.

My thoughts : This is a cheap shaving cream in Germany,and for me,performs much better than some of the most famous german shaving creams like Palmolive or even Speick.It has a decent scent,far from many of the traditional UK shaving creams,but I like it.And skin care wise its really good,or at least my dry skin,"tells me" that it is,since I always have good shaves with it,better than many more expensive shaving creams.
A great shaving cream in my book,indeed.
Vielen Dank Florena!

86 7,123
 03-02-2012, 04:36 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Florena ist wirklich fabelhaft! (Florena is truly fabulous!)

Ease of lathering: 10/10--BOOM, a rich lather in no time!

Longevity of lather: 10/10--Stable and solid for multi-pass shaves.

General skincare: 9/10--Moisturizing, gentle, soothing. Wonderful skincare.

Scent: 9/10--Clean and very pleasant. Nicer than the original Nivea cream. (To my nose)

Price: 10/10--This stuff was so cheap here in Canada. No longer available. (damn!)

Would I buy again: 10/10--Ja, sicher - I LOVE this stuff!

Why do so many good creams and soaps stop selling in Montreal where I live? Why is there so little interest in traditional wetshaving in Montreal? I wish I knew........

3 2,562
 08-01-2012, 08:56 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
For those who like this cream, you may want to stock up. I can no longer source it and when it is gone, it is gone for good.

45 16,353
 08-01-2012, 09:12 AM
  • Jack
  • Old School
  • Long Island
User Info
(08-01-2012, 08:56 AM)bullgoose Wrote: For those who like this cream, you may want to stock up. I can no longer source it and when it is gone, it is gone for good.

Phil

What about the Nivea?

0 162
 08-01-2012, 11:20 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I can still get the Nivea.

45 16,353
 08-01-2012, 11:30 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(08-01-2012, 08:56 AM)bullgoose Wrote: For those who like this cream, you may want to stock up. I can no longer source it and when it is gone, it is gone for good.

Phil, was it discontinued?

3 2,562
 08-01-2012, 01:21 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(08-01-2012, 11:30 AM)JAYDEE Wrote:

I am not sure if it was discontinued or simply dropped by the distributor.

45 16,353
 08-02-2012, 12:18 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(08-01-2012, 01:21 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(08-01-2012, 11:30 AM)JAYDEE Wrote:

I am not sure if it was discontinued or simply dropped by the distributor.

Damn it, damn it, damn it............why does this always happen to the stuff I love?

3 2,562
 08-02-2012, 12:36 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
There is only one thing you can do now Jeff...hoard. Blush

45 16,353
 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(08-02-2012, 12:36 PM)bullgoose Wrote: There is only one thing you can do now Jeff...hoard. Blush

It's not so easy anymore, Phil..........Sad

3 2,562
 08-03-2012, 12:21 AM
User Info
(02-26-2012, 10:17 PM)Teiste Wrote: Price : I got it at (as always SUPERB service,thanks Phil!!!)BullGoose Shaving Supplies -Traditional Wetshaving Supplies for 9 dollars.

Hm. The Florena cream has been locally available for about 80 Eurocents (!) a long time. Now it sells for €1,29 - which is still a decent price. Speick shaving cream I get in the same store for €2,49.
Over the sea the clocks tick the other way round. 9$ for Florena, 6$ for Speick. My friends, quality-wise Speick is far superior. Florena is a cheapo cream from Beiersdorf. Though it's not a bad cream.Shy

(02-26-2012, 10:17 PM)Teiste Wrote: Longevity: this cream its more liquid than Speick or Anne Marie Borlind

That's the main reason why I don't like it. I dislike liquid shaving creams.

(02-26-2012, 10:17 PM)Teiste Wrote: If you have read its ingredients,you already know that it has olive oil,and I noticed that when the razor glides on my skin during the shave.

I don't believe that it is the olive oil that delivers the glide. I'm pretty sure it's the ingredient "Dimethicone" (aka silicones). You may remember it from the Nivea Mild shaving cream, which contains Dimethicone too. It's a cheap replacement for natural oils. It has a pseudo-skincare effect.

(02-26-2012, 10:17 PM)Teiste Wrote: performs much better than some of the most famous german shaving creams like Palmolive or even Speick.

Woooow A47. Okay, it performs better than Palmolive (but many creams do better than Palmolive) but Speick? I don't wanna support a hype on a cheapo cream. Beiersdorf is a huge concern (~18.000 employees) based on profit, profit and profit. If you don't buy their products - they won't even notice. When their managers decide to let die their shaving cream line any time in the future - they won't hesitate.Sleepy Speick on the other hand is a rather small family company (~40 employees) with tradition. Speick stands for high quality products and natural ingredients. You pay a reasonable price which goes directly into the product.

0 112
 08-03-2012, 12:27 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(08-03-2012, 12:21 AM)infabo Wrote:
(02-26-2012, 10:17 PM)Teiste Wrote: Price : I got it at (as always SUPERB service,thanks Phil!!!)BullGoose Shaving Supplies -Traditional Wetshaving Supplies for 9 dollars.

Hm. The Florena cream has been locally available for about 80 Eurocents (!) a long time. Now it sells for €1,29 - which is still a decent price. Speick shaving cream I get in the same store for €2,49.
Over the sea the clocks tick the other way round. 9$ for Florena, 6$ for Speick. My friends, quality-wise Speick is far superior. Florena is a cheapo cream from Beiersdorf. Though it's not a bad cream.Shy

(02-26-2012, 10:17 PM)Teiste Wrote: Longevity: this cream its more liquid than Speick or Anne Marie Borlind

(02-26-2012, 10:17 PM)Teiste Wrote: If you have read its ingredients,you already know that it has olive oil,and I noticed that when the razor glides on my skin during the shave.

I don't believe that it is the olive oil that delivers the glide. I'm pretty sure it's the ingredient "Dimethicone" (aka silicones). You may remember it from the Nivea Mild shaving cream, which contains Dimethicone too. It's a cheap replacement for natural oils. It has a pseudo-skincare effect.

(02-26-2012, 10:17 PM)Teiste Wrote: performs much better than some of the most famous german shaving creams like Palmolive or even Speick.

Woooow A47. Okay, it performs better than Palmolive (but many creams do better than Palmolive) but Speick? I don't wanna support a hype on a cheapo cream. Beiersdorf is a huge concern (~18.000 employees) based on profit, profit and profit. If you don't buy their products - they won't even notice. When their managers decide to let die their shaving cream line any time in the future - they won't hesitate.Sleepy Speick on the other hand is a rather small family company (~40 employees) with tradition. Speick stands for high quality products and natural ingredients. You pay a reasonable price which goes directly into the product.

Thanks for the informative post. What other cheapo products Beiersdorf makes?

88 4,233
 08-03-2012, 01:29 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-03-2012, 12:21 AM)infabo Wrote:

Its your opinion and I respect it.I must say that Florena its a very good German shaving cream.I like Speick,Nivea,Anne Marie Borlind,Logona,Weleda and other german made shaving creams,like Edwin Jagger/Muhle (I suspects,for what I understand,that they're made in Germany),Kappus or Palmolive.But Florena offers me a little better skin care.

So you think that olive oil doesnt have to do anything to the glide or the razor but the silicons?It could be.That reminds me of when Musgo Real got rid f lanolin and added Boric Acid,thinking that it was gonna be slick enough.Well,it wasn't and they used lanolin again (that happened long time ago..).Anyway,the cream is slick.

You are comparing prices in Germany/Austria with prices in USA.Well,in my country,Spain,I can find a La Toja stick for 1,60 euros,sometimes even 1,20,but I wont expect to find it that price here in USA,to be honest,specially when shipping cost and taxes,as well as some vendor revenues are involved.

Speick a small company and Beiersdorf a big one?Yes,for sure,but, what really?Does that means that Speick is better?Well,for me its a great cream too,but I prefer Florena,even when Speick is another good one,with a lovely scent.But Im afraid that Speick cream is made by a third company,the same that makes Edwin Jagger/Muhle,which are 99% natural as well,or Anne Marie Borlind.

Hype of a cheap product?I don't know what you mean about hype,but anyway,if you think that posting my good impressions of a shaving cream,which not many people are gonna buy,is hype...well,is ok,I guess,but far away from my real intentions.
My real intentions are to share with members here,that German creams are great when it comes to skin care properties,and even when they don't have the fancy scents of the English ones,they still are a very good creams to use.I hope that's not hype,but expressing my honest thoughts/experience with them.

86 7,123