01-05-2013, 02:36 PM
  • gzp
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I was a winner in the Thanksgiving Contest and I received the Vie Long Gonzalo Boar/Horse mix brush from Sargon/Shavetools.com yesterday (Thanks Sargon!).
[Image: r7rblk.jpg]

It's a good looking brush, the combination of wood and metal works nicely. The handle has a good weight to it and it can be held comfortably by either the wood or the metal. Sizewise I'd consider it a larger brush (not as big as the Omega Professionals). Here it's between an Omega 11047 Boar/Badger mix and an Omega Professional 10083, which is a little smaller than the 48/49. Pre-bloom and post-bloom.
[Image: 10zaccy.jpg]
[Image: 2gugtxz.jpg]

Dry, there was no smell but once I soaked it to lather there was a bit of a smell. Many latherings and leaving it for several hours with the lather in it seems to have gotten most of it.
It lathers quite well. Bowl latherers may want to use it with either a wide or a low sided bowl although the metal on a nice stoneware bowl does seem to produce a very nice tone (perhaps suitable for those who meditate).
It may just need a breaking in period but initially it does not seem well-suited to face lathering, unless you prefer painting strokes. It does seem to have a lot of scratchiness (prickliness, scritch? I'm not clear on the distinctions) but this is still before any break in.
I really like the handle on this brush and look forward to seeing how it develops.
Again, thanks to Sargon at Shavetools.com and the other vendors who make these giveaways possible and a special thanks to Churchilllafemme and the moderators for the time and effort they put into coordinating everything.
[Image: 2sam8wm.jpg]

0 62
 01-05-2013, 03:21 PM
User Info
That is a nice looking brush.

Let us know how it does.

1 2,827
 01-05-2013, 04:49 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thank you for the impressions , sir.

Barbers in Spain use that brush , or the 100% horse hair one.The handle is not the fanciest one on the world , but its quiet comfortable and sturdy to use.

Enjoy it with health.

86 7,124
 01-05-2013, 05:22 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Thanks for the review, eventually I'm going to pick up a horse hair Vie Long.
Its interesting seeing it next to the Omega... do you know if the boar hairs in this brush are clipped or have natural tips?

2 507
 01-05-2013, 05:32 PM
  • gzp
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(01-05-2013, 05:22 PM)vuk Wrote: Thanks for the review, eventually I'm going to pick up a horse hair Vie Long.
Its interesting seeing it next to the Omega... do you know if the boar hairs in this brush are clipped or have natural tips?

I believe they are clipped. I had read that they were and just now I looked with a magnifier and they do appear to be clipped.

0 62
 12-23-2014, 07:03 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Presently I've got only three brushes, this and two pure badgers - a WD and the long handle Colonel Conk. I've been using this boarse brush every third day for three months now, and I gotta tell ya', I like it! Serious backbone and scritch. I'm exclusively a Proraso Red cream in the tube guy, and with patience, the Gonzalo brush makes a darn nice lather. A nice lather. I start my lather in a mug and then really work it up on my face for a few minutes. It provides excellent exfoliation, and has great balance and weight. This Gonzalo brush is invigorating and a valued member of my small but well-liked rotation.

Boarse, baby! Biggrin

1 1,477
 12-29-2014, 01:55 AM
User Info
Interesting brush,well done @gzp.

0 353
 12-29-2014, 02:51 AM
User Info
I am intrigued...if I ever do decide to pick up another brush, Vie-Long is right up there among the prime contenders.

6 725