01-05-2013, 06:25 PM
User Info
Hey,

I never use soaps, only creams and croaps - because the 5-6 shaving soaps I have tried seemd to dry out my skin more so than creams do.

I already wash my face in the shower before my shave with Clinique For Men Mild facial soap, so don't need to add more soap to my face after the shower.

My preference for a soap would be one that will be easy to lather while at the same time creating a thick & dense moisturizing lather Smile

So with that in perspective, I would like to hear what your personal favorite shaving soaps are. Make it a Top 3 if possible, honorable mentions are okay too Tongue

If you can recommend 3 shaving sticks, that you just think are out of this world great too, then please mention your favorite shaving sticks too Smile

Already own and LOVE these croaps: Acqua di Parma, Santa Maria Novella and Acca Kappa 1869 Pot, so please don't put these 3 on your list !

22 5,070
 01-05-2013, 06:43 PM
User Info

1. Martin de Candre - Savon à raser
  2. JABONMAN
  3. Mike's Natural Soaps

Honorable Mentions
  • Vito's Red
  • TABAC
  • TFS/La Famiglia from RazoRock

31 7,914
 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Czech & Speake Oxford and Cambridge

Yardley Black Label

The Famous Senior Brito's Shave Soap

45 16,359
 01-05-2013, 06:54 PM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
Since you asked for shave sticks as well I will focus on them:

1. Palmolive
2. Irisch Moos (sadly discontinued).
3. Speick

1 111
 01-05-2013, 07:02 PM
User Info
D R Harris
Jabonman ( only used 6 times, but right there)

Any soap I can load and lather in under 60 seconds is tops, these two plus RazoRock Artisans get it done for me.

31 1,800
 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
My top 3
1. Mystic Water
2. Castle Forbes
3a. King Louis Lavender
3b. Provence Sante

These four soaps leave my face feeling great and give me a wonderful shave.

Quote: I already wash my face in the shower before my shave with Clinique For Men Mild facial soap, so don't need to add more soap to my face after the shower.

You do know that croaps and creams are made of soap too, don't you?

10 1,858
 01-05-2013, 07:40 PM
User Info
1. Tabac

All tied for 2.

Arko/Palmolive
MWF
DRH

2 697
 01-05-2013, 07:42 PM
User Info
(01-05-2013, 07:14 PM)Songwind Wrote: My top 3
1. Mystic Water
2. Castle Forbes
3a. King Louis Lavender
3b. Provence Sante

These four soaps leave my face feeling great and give me a wonderful shave.

Quote: I already wash my face in the shower before my shave with Clinique For Men Mild facial soap, so don't need to add more soap to my face after the shower.

You do know that croaps and creams are made of soap too, don't you?

Firstly I already own Castle Forbes Lavendr and Lime and secondly they are both categorized as creams.

Leading on to next subject - NO, I did not know that creams are made from soap too. I was under the clear impression that creams have more ingredients in them and that soaps had more of.......yeahhh soap in them Tongue

I know very well that croaps are borderline soaps, but still not clearly categorized as soaps. To me soaps react and feel more like a real soap that you use to clean your face, body and hands with.
Creams react and feels more like a regular facial cream with some added ingredients that are borrowed from soap (thus making the razor glide better, something a soap is a master at doing)

22 5,070
 01-05-2013, 08:18 PM
User Info
My top three...
Tabac,
Mike's Natural Soaps,
Palmolive stick.

Mitchell's Wool Fat fits in there somewhere, but the others are much easier to work with.

2 362
 01-05-2013, 08:21 PM
User Info
Top 3 for me:
Martin de Candre
Houbigant Fougere Royale
vintage Floris No. 89

184 12,003
 01-05-2013, 08:21 PM
User Info
Oh, forgot the Speick stick! Excellent performance and fantastic scent but I've heard that it irritates some.

2 362
 01-05-2013, 08:24 PM
User Info
MdC
MW
La Toja

8 2,718
 01-05-2013, 08:31 PM
User Info
1. MWF lathered with a Boar brush
2. MWF lathered with a Badger brush
3. The rest. Starting with Floris no.89 (old), MdC, La ToJa,...........

6 1,224
 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
User Info
Claus, have you tried Martin de Candre? I think you will really love it. Perhaps you are too hung up on the word "soap" and what you associate it with (too drying, stripping oils). Shaving soaps are really MUCH different. Trust me, I don't think it's just your skin. You should try some of the better ones that have been mentioned in this thread. Additionally, I personally just find something really satisfying about loading up the brush from a puck.

52 476
 01-05-2013, 09:05 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
My top three:

Valobra: Valobra Shave Stick/Art of Shaving (Unscented or Lemon)
Mystic Water (Lime)
Mike's Natural (Lime)

My second used to be Cella, which I still think is very good, but I have become very impressed with Mystic Water and Mike's Natural, once I got each of them figured out.

Regarding hard soaps and soft soaps ("croaps"), the difference is in the lye. Hard soaps are made with sodium hydroxide, liquid soaps are made with potassium hydroxide, and soft soaps are made with a combination thereof (at least the ones I know of). Since hard soaps and soft soaps behave essentially the same, I just consider them both soaps.

Creams, while still technically "soap," are a little "more different" in their formulation. (I don't use creams, but if I remember correctly, creams more typically have stearic acid at the top of the list, before tallow or palm oil.)

- Murray

4 1,150
 01-05-2013, 09:05 PM
User Info
MdC
p.160
Klar Seifen

32 6,311
 01-05-2013, 09:08 PM
User Info
I Coloniali
TF&H

I tried Tabula Rasa over the weekend. There wasn't a lot of slickness to it.
I measure slickness my swiping my finger across my face after I have compiled a proper lather. I then glide/rub the tips of my index finger and thumb to feel how slick the soap is.
First of all, yes soaps are slicker than creams but not all soaps are created equally.
I Coloniali & TF&H are clearly slicker than Tabula Rasa.
I have yet to open my MWF and my Trumpers (rose) and a few D.R. Harris' I have.

Heres a tip for you Claus:

I've consciously decided to learn each product thoroughly before moving on to a new product.

Changing too many variables will result in confusion and lack of a strong grip on the topic.

I've used my TF&H, I Coloniali, Penhaligon's Opus 1870 cream, L'Occitane cade shave cream enough to know their properties. Thats why I opened Tabula Rasa this weekend. I felt confident enough to assess it. I'm not writing it off yet. I need to use it a few times before finally giving it some gesture of thumb.

0 193
 01-05-2013, 09:46 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Calani
JabonMan
TFS or MDC (I'll confirm which one in a few days)

Sticks:

Wilkinson
Palmolive

(01-05-2013, 09:08 PM)hedonist222 Wrote: I tried Tabula Rasa over the weekend. There wasn't a lot of slickness to it.

To me, Tabula Rasa has way more slickness than T&H & I coloniali. Thisis just another case of YMMV at it's finest.

10 1,120
 01-05-2013, 10:21 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Soaps :

-Martin de Candre
-Mitchells Wool Fat
-Boy , hard to choose a 3rd one , since I like Creed Original Vetiver and Green Irish Tweed, C&S Oxford and Cambridge , D.R. Harris Arlington...

Sticks :

-La Toja
-Valobra
-Wilkinson

86 7,124
 01-05-2013, 10:31 PM
User Info
1) Tabac (slickness factor) and I like the smell
2) Klar Kabinett Tied (smell & value)
2) Pre de Provence (love the smell) Tied
4) La Toja stick (new to me only used twice)

2 805