01-06-2013, 09:41 AM
User Info
Anybody have any experience with "dark" (blue or black) steel razors?

Specifically referring to either the Dovo Diamant or Bismark, or the Baxter of California "Not a Replica" blue steel/Hart steel razor.

Curious about how these individual razors perform specifically - shave, holding the sharp edge, balance, etc. - as well as how "dark" steels hold up against stainless and carbon steels.

Also - do either the blue or black steels have the color throughout the metal, or does it rub/wear off with sharpening/honing?

Thanks for the assist - looking forward to meeting some of you next weekend in Fort Lee.

Dan O

0 7
 03-30-2013, 08:49 PM
User Info
They perform the same as any other. The color only affects the aesthetics of the razor.

0 84
 03-30-2013, 09:17 PM
User Info
Not sure how I missed this question, but there is no difference in the underlying steel. It's just colored.

9 2,987
 04-24-2013, 02:33 PM
User Info
The coloring, at least in Dovo's case which I can speak authoritatively upon (& I'd suspect the other mentioned is the same, but don't know assuredly), is from an accelerated forced-oxidation process which is stopped in its tracks.

Upon "Diamant", the whole blade's exposed to this; with "Black Star", some is intentionally kept from the process. Having handled both extensively many times, while they're likely treated identically, the depth of the affected portion certainly feels more pronounced on "Diamant", especially its tang which to these fingers feels downright rubber-coated, giving pleasing confidence to the grip,.but they both feel slightly different from the normal ones.

The recipe for these razors' steels is identical to all the other Dovo carbon steel razors - no matter what cutesy name they take on(such as "Silver Steel"), speaking for today's efforts, there's but one carbon recipe and one carbon tempering method (there are two methods for tempering their stainless razors).

Thus it isn't really a coloring, but it is true that the entirety of the blade isn't exposed to the core, & likely in time you'll wear through the spine's blackened portion. That could take many years.

Shaving characteristics identical to any other 5/8" full hollow carbon Dovos.

0 72
 04-24-2013, 03:12 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
kwigibocity, thanks for the info. Always enjoy learning something new about straights.

16 536
 04-24-2013, 03:43 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I could be wrong about this but I've been told Hart Steel uses a blueing process somewhat similar to what gun manufactures does.

173 23,290
 04-26-2013, 11:39 AM
User Info
Yep, this is a chemical blueing that's done after the forging and grinding process. I do it occasionally. It's pretty easy to do, really.

The steel is the same carbon steel as with other razors. It's just a cosmetic thing.

37 1,731
 04-26-2013, 05:49 PM
User Info
I've always wanted one. Ill have to pick one up this year sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 413