01-06-2013, 03:31 PM
  • MikeD
  • Mississippi
User Info
Good afternoon. My name is Mike and I am new to traditional wet shaving. Ever since I was 20 or so I have been shaving at least twice a week. Up until about a year ago my shave was typically this: wet face with hot water, lather up cream in hand, shave with a fusion glide, and after shave balm. Then I started using a hot towel and had a little brush from TAOS that was in one of their gift sets. I loved using the brush. Then this past year I decided I wanted to try traditional wet shaving. So my wonderful wife of almost 10 months decided to get me a wet shaving set for Christmas/Birthday. She got me a Merkur DE Safety (not sure the type because it was wrapped in another box), a pure badger brush, a stand, and some Merkur blades. Ever since I started using a brush to lather my cream (before I switched razors) I started to enjoy shaving. I relished the time. It was my time to unwind. Now that I've made the switch to a DE Safety I enjoy the shaving even more. I try to take my time and put into practice the things I'm learning. I truly love my time shaving! It is the time after the shave that is difficult right now. I read LeisureGuy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving and tried to take in as much as I could. The first time I shaved using the DE it went well. I had a couple nicks and some razor burn. Then today I really took my time even felt like I had done a decent job. Apparently it is worse than I thought. When I got to church someone asked if I cut myself shaving. I actually only had one small nick but it wasn't bleeding. What they were seeing was at my jawline and below. Looking in the mirror I guess I didn't see it as that bad, but then my wife mentioned it. Then I took a pic and that revealed what they saw. I've ordered a sample pack of razors, Musgo Real Glyce Lime soap, and alum bar from BullGooseShaving. I am hear to learn, and hopefully overcome this razor burn because I love the time shaving with my DE razor. Hope this isn't too long of an intro.

0 36
 01-06-2013, 03:45 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Hello Mike and welcome to the Nook!

91 17,821
 01-06-2013, 03:48 PM
User Info
Hello and welcome to the forum, Mike.

183 12,002
 01-06-2013, 03:51 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Welcome to The Nook!

88 4,233
 01-06-2013, 04:32 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Welcome to the Nook!

45 3,955
 01-06-2013, 04:39 PM
User Info
It's great to have you in the Nook!

31 7,912
 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Howdy and Welcome to TSN.

For a long time I shaved like this ...

Hot Water on Face
Cheap Shaving Brush, Williams Lather (Sometimes good lather and sometime very runny)
Trac II or Mach III
Shave anywhich way and jump into the shower.

No aftershave, no balm, no nothing.

Hot Towel, a Brush, and TAOS ... I have to warn you that you are taking a lot of little steps and will soon be hooked.

Christmas/Birthday - Merkur DE Safety, a pure badger brush, a stand, and some Merkur blades.

Yep ... the hook is starting to set.

Shaving is a Chore to Enjoying the Shave.

Yep ... the hook is a little deeper.

Oh No ... Relished the time. Time to unwind. Making the switch to a DE Safety Razor. Enjoy the shaving even more. I try to take my time and put into practice the things I'm learning. I truly love my time shaving!

You are hooked.

What they were seeing was at my jawline and below. Looking in the mirror I guess I didn't see it as that bad, but then my wife mentioned it. Then I took a pic and that revealed what they saw.

Technique.

1) Safety Razor Angle - I think 20 to 30 degrees on the area you are shaving.
2) Shorter Strokes
3) Angle is different after you pass the cheek area and cross the jaw line.
4) Make sure you have lots of lather.
5) Make sure the whiskers are preped.
6) Map Your Face
7) Preshave Preparation - Mr Glo is good, but, their are others to experiment with ... like Preshave Oil, or Preshave Soap or Noxzema, etc.

YMMV and everyone has an opinion.

A) Remember the razor blades may shave differently in your razor.
B) Musgo Real Glyce Lime soap - nice preshave soap will give you some protection.
c) Alum Bar - After shaving ... Rinse face with hot water (clean off the soap), Rinse face with cold water (close the pores), Rub Alum Block on Wet Face, clean up your shaving area ( a couple of minutes or two), Rinse face with cold water (wash off Alum) and apply After-Shave Balm or AS (Or whatever it is you do.)

Good Luck and Enjoy Your Learning Experience.

1 819
 01-06-2013, 04:55 PM
User Info
Hello and welcome! Cool

2 5,527
 01-06-2013, 04:58 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Hello, Mike and welcome to the Nook ! Smile

0 1,291
 01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
User Info
Welcome!

31 1,800
 01-06-2013, 05:03 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Mike, welcome to The Shave Nook.

There are a lot of sections here to review. Just ask questions in any of the appropriate section and I know you will be guided in the right direction.

Just starting out I will give you two pieces of advise.

1. No pressure
2. Do two passes only, one WTG (with the grain) and one XTG (across the the grain).

You will have plenty of time to grow into three passes, feathering, and all that.

173 23,499
 01-06-2013, 06:10 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN!

1 2,827
 01-06-2013, 08:57 PM
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook, Mike!

75 20,883
 01-06-2013, 09:45 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Jump on in, the water's fine!

45 16,293
 01-06-2013, 11:54 PM
User Info
Welcome to the Nook! A lot of great advice given above and you'll learn a lot more along the way. You've already gotten past one of the largest hurdles for some...the wife is already on board Wink.

5 938
 01-07-2013, 04:55 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Welcome Aboard the Nook!
Biggrin
[Image: attachment.php?aid=5985]

9 1,684
 01-07-2013, 05:06 AM
User Info
Hello and welcome! :-))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 20
 01-07-2013, 05:14 AM
User Info
Welcome to the Nook!

4 219
 01-07-2013, 09:15 AM
  • MikeD
  • Mississippi
User Info
Thanks everyone! Already getting great advice! I'm looking forward to learning from everyone. Hopefully in time I will be able to give some insight. Yes, I am hooked!

0 36
 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Hello Mike, welcome to the Nook.
Everyone here is more then willing to help you out.

Starting I suggest a blade sampler, it gives you a variety of blades to try.

1 3,507