01-06-2013, 11:57 PM
User Info
How does it compare to Brylcreem, Groom and Clean, and Wildroot?

1 283
 01-07-2013, 04:23 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've never heard of any of these (including the Tabac hair cream), please educate me...

91 17,835
 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM
User Info
Well, I suppose one could say that these products, which I refer to as hair treatments, perform a few functions.

Some act like leave in conditioners. Some are the functional equivalent of hair gels and some are the equivalent of pomades. They usually come in tubes or jars and vary in consistency, color, and scent. The useful ingredient in most of these products is mineral oil, (and maybe a tiny amount of petrolatum or wax.) Some even have ingredients such as lanolin and glycerin.

Here are the things I look for in hair treatment:

1. Shine. A lot of them provide lustrousness to hair.
2. Manageability. They tame frizz and add silkiness
3. Hold. They can act like a hairspray or gel without flakiness or crunchiness
4. Scent. Many of them are pleasantly scented.

Fact is, these are old school health products. If you wanna get that shine and look of Frank Sinatra, or Cary Grant or just do it like Grandpa did it then this is the way to go.

I know this answer really isn't technical, but this is how I see it.

1 283
 04-12-2013, 01:01 PM
User Info
I saw the tabac hair gel on Connaughtshaving last night and was wondering the same thing. Is it a conditioner or more as a styling product?

0 84
 04-12-2013, 02:48 PM
User Info
I got some from Phil recently. The hold wasn't as strong as I'd like, but it did make my hair feel good and soft (so I guess that would give it high marks in manageability in the scale above). But the scent was just way too strong and lasted the entire day. I wasn't expecting that.

10 2,062
 04-12-2013, 03:01 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(01-06-2013, 11:57 PM)regularfella Wrote: How does it compare to Brylcreem, Groom and Clean, and Wildroot?

The Tabac Hair cream is similar to Brylcreem just less greasy. I like it a lot as it gives hold and shine to the hair without giving you that "overly groomed" look (although you could sport that look too if you use more cream). It smells like Tabac which is a blessing or a curse depending on your point of view. Biggrin

45 16,313
 05-07-2013, 07:39 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(04-12-2013, 03:01 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(01-06-2013, 11:57 PM)regularfella Wrote: How does it compare to Brylcreem, Groom and Clean, and Wildroot?

The Tabac Hair cream is similar to Brylcreem just less greasy. I like it a lot as it gives hold and shine to the hair without giving you that "overly groomed" look (although you could sport that look too if you use more cream). It smells like Tabac which is a blessing or a curse depending on your point of view. Biggrin

I just received a tube of the Tabac Hair Cream from Phil yesterday and got to use it today. Based on just that one use I'd have to say that Phil's assessment is pretty accurate. I happen to like the scent of Tabac but wouldn't want it to last all day in my hair and I haven't noticed that.

I much prefer this product to gels and it will be an excellent addition to the other hair tonics I use on a rotating basis (2 Clubmans, three Pashanas, a Gabel's Rose Hair Oil, and a Geo. F. Trumper Eucris Hair Dressing).

2 11,211
 07-29-2013, 09:25 PM
User Info
Love it use it every day. Prefer it to brylcreem.

0 53
 04-09-2014, 01:47 AM
User Info
you will find it anywher but you should not use cheap products as you might get some skin problems

0 10
 04-09-2014, 11:39 AM
User Info
May have to check this out.
I'm rather liking my Old Spice Pomade but wish it had a stronger scent.

I don't know how Connaught does it...but their prices including shipping all the way to the US almost always beat US based companies. Sad really.

In this case from Connaught, ordering one tube would be $12.89 including shipping. Lowest price I've seen.

Westcoast shaving had it for $9/tube but since they are out of stock that may or may not be relevant.

0 338
 04-09-2014, 05:41 PM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
I really enjoy mine, and I don't find the scent lasting all day for me.

2 447