01-07-2013, 03:02 AM
User Info
I was looking at these videos on You Tube of bowl lathering with the following 3 brushes and found the SR outperforming the other 2 in how quickly it was whipping up sweet lather in no time. Badger

YouTube Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/weakpig/videos

1. Shavemac D01

2. Simpsons Chubby 3 Super

3. Savile Row 3330 Silver Tip

I wanted Chubby 3 to win. Biggrin

Any ideas as to what gives? Hmm Sherlock

4 358
 01-07-2013, 04:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Funny considering his "worst" and "best" are most likely made by the same company. Huh

I'm guessing the "winner" was the brush that produced lather the fastest?
He used the same amount of product for each brush.
Each brush is exceptionally different in terms of size and density.
Each brush would hold water differently, require different amounts of product and water and subsequently release lather differently, so these are all variables that need to be considered.
Further, the coarser and less dense packed brushes are more likely to make lather faster than a luxuriously soft and dense brush, but would that coarse and sparsely packed brush be a pleasure to use... ?

Regardless, each brush IMO did their job in terms of whipping up lather admirably, but lets be honest... Rub some hand soap on your chest hair and see how quickly you get some lather, conversely rub it on your backside (where I hope you have no hair) and the results are not as impressive... Tongue

One area felt smoother and more pleasurable didn't it? But it also took longer to get the kind of lather you were after too.

IMO making the lather is the easy part of choosing a brush, as honestly I haven't owned a brush that wasn't up to the task, IT'S HOW IT FEELS TO THE INDIVIDUAL USER THAT IS IMPORTANT!

Thank-you for sharing Arash! Biggrin

91 17,876
 01-07-2013, 07:09 AM
User Info
My ultra-dense Chubby 3's require an extra 10 - 15 seconds of loading to produce copious lather compared to less dense brushes. It's a small price to pay.

66 692
 01-07-2013, 09:01 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Is it just me? Or did it look like there was already soap in the Savile Row before he started?
When showing the brush it looked like there were little rainbow colored reflections in the bristles. Then at 0:19 there was a sudden burst of soapy bubbles that look more like dish soap than shaving soap to me Huh

Now, I use hard soaps, never used a cream before, but I've never gotten bubbles that looked like they could float away LOL Is that normal?

10 411
 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM
User Info
Fun video, but pretty useless - but fun never the less Biggrin

I hope Arash, when you get your brushes in, you will come up with some of your own reviews, not necessarily YouTube videos, but just a good review in here.

Dense brushes will take longer to produce lather than less dense brushes, but some are the exception to the rule - for instance my Chubby 2 2-Band Super makes lather really fast, my Manchurian is a little bit slower, but not that slow.

I have yet to use my Savile Row 3124 - never got to it yet, still waiting inline with 25+ other not used brushes in my small collection Blush

Also Shavemac D01 is so many things, I own 5 different versions of a D01 3-Band and 4 different versions of a D01 2-Band, all are very different, so very hard to compare them. Some fan shaped, some bulb, some flat, some thicker knotted, some thinner knotted......lower lofted & higher lofted.....

A flat top low lofted will produce lather father than a bulb higher lofted will, same hair type IMHO. So very hard to make such comparison videos, but good fun never the less Cool

22 5,077
 01-07-2013, 10:17 PM
User Info
Guys, I was not saying that it is a good or fair review....I just saw the videos and was curious ConfusedHmm

So wanted to see what others who have actually used these brushes first-hand thought about these videos. Badger

Nonetheless, good to see these informative and insightful responses...BiggrinCool

Cheerios...

4 358
 01-07-2013, 10:35 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-07-2013, 10:17 PM)Arash Wrote: Guys, I was not saying that it is a good or fair review....I just saw the videos and was curious ConfusedHmm

So wanted to see what others who have actually used these brushes first-hand thought about these videos. Badger

Nonetheless, good to see these informative and insightful responses...BiggrinCool

Cheerios...

It was good Arash!

I think viewer's criticisms were related to the maker's motivation, nothing else.

Please keep sharing these finds!

91 17,876
 01-07-2013, 10:36 PM
User Info
Gotcha' mate! Cool

4 358