01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Hey there Gents,

Relatively new to the whole fragrance game.

The only fragrance that I currently use is DR Harris Windsor. I really love the scent. It's bright and citrusy and then mellows out to a peppery, leather, woody note that just smells really masculine, clean and classy. My only problem with it is it's lack of longevity and projection, so I'm currently looking to pick up a bottle of Terre d'Hermes.

Many years ago I owned a bottle of Acqua di Gio and currently own a bottle of Burberry Touch that was a gift. The AdG was nice, but everyone and their brother wore it so I stopped. The Touch is nice as well but I find it to be pretty heavy and a little cloying. Certainly a winter only scent for me and not something I'm comfortable in very often.

Recently I expressed an interest to my girlfriend to get into wearing some type of scent, so she bought me a $50 sample pack of colognes from Sephora. You get to sample some fragrances and redeem whichever one you like the most for a small bottle.

The fragrances included in the kit are:

- Dolce & Gabbana The One Sport
- Giorgio Armani Acqua di Giò
- Givenchy Play
- Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme
- Hanae Mori HM
- Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme
- Jean Paul Gaultier LE MALE
- John Varvatos Artisan
- Lacoste Eau de Lacoste L.12.12. Blanc
- Paco Rabanne 1 Million
- Versace Pour Homme
- Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme

I liked the AdG, Givenchy Play and the JPG Le Male.

I thought I liked the Issey Miyake, but the opening is just too floral and the dry down too woody and flat.

The John Varvatos, Paco Rabanne, and YSL were decent but not me.

The rest I didn't care for at all.

Based on my tastes, what do you guys think would be good suggestions for me to try? I'm looking for scents that are easily available online at least and nothing over $100.

Thanks in advance!

13 599
 01-07-2013, 12:50 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Acqua Di Parma Essenza or Classica.Look no further.
Also Acqua Borsari di Parma 1870 Classica could fit your taste.

86 7,124
 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
You may not feel comfortable wearing the Burberry Touch but I find other people love the smell especially women. It's by far my wife's favorite.

45 3,955
 01-07-2013, 02:08 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
(01-07-2013, 01:35 PM)tgutc Wrote: You may not feel comfortable wearing the Burberry Touch but I find other people love the smell especially women. It's by far my wife's favorite.

Yeah the girlfriend loves it, but when I'm not around her all day at work, I get sick of it rather quickly.

She's pretty easy going when it comes to frag's though. She REALLY loves the Windsor for the whole 30 mins it lasts on me.

13 599
 01-07-2013, 03:11 PM
User Info
Hey Matt,

It's very very difficult to advice on fragrances, as it's just such a YMMV thing, even more than shaving creams and brushes are to be honest.

I have been wearing fragrances since I was 15-16 years old, first year because my big brother used it and then to get the girls attention at school, but I quite quickly found out that I enjoyed wearing fragrances so much, that I just had to wear them all the time, because they gave me a kick and made my day better.

I also found out as I got older, that while it is very nice to wear a fragrance to get the girls/ladies attention, women seem to only enjoy lighter scented pretty basic not too advanced scents on a man in general - and once I got a bit into the whole fragrance game, my personal interest and nose - I found out - was just even more important than pleasing the girls to get their attention and approval.

So I began using certain crowd pleasing frags for girls attention, and then wore my more advanced frags for me, myself and I Wink
Also, if you don't want to use a certain fragrance, because everyone uses it, try blending it a bit with another fragrance and you get the same vibe from the popular fragrance but with an added twist, that NOBODY ELSE is wearing for sure.

I like Armani Acqua Di Gio, don't love it, but like it. I wear it maybe 6-8 times a year, and that is average for a fragrance in my collection as I own several hundred bottles.
But to get an extra edge out of Aqua Di Gio, I blend it with either of these frags with great result and lots of compliments to follow:

Prada Infusion D'Homme
Guerlain Vetiver
Acqua Di Gio Essenza
Versace Pour Homme

I guarantee that while some will smell Acqua Di Gio on you, they will not just smell that, but the blend of the two frags.......you just have to find the correct amount of each juice to spray and you have a unique blend that no one else have.

Creed blend all their frags in their boutiques. You can go into a Creed boutique and ask for this or that blend, and they will blend them and sell you the bottle.
It's only for a bit more advanced noses probably, but you can start out buying 30 ml sizes and then start blending and see what you like best.

With that said, my advice would be the boring advice.

Don't listen to people on the Internet for advice on fragrances.

YOU SIMPLY HAVE TO SAMPLE AND TEST AND SAPMLE AND TEST for yourself.

For instance I really love Acqua Di Parma Colonia, sort of the same scent as in the Acqua Di Parma shaving cream. Only problem is that I don't want to pay $125 for a 100 ml for a Fragrance that only last 2-3 hours on my skin.
My minimum limit for longevity in a fragrance is 5-6 hours. If it lasts shorter than that, I don't repurchase it unless the fragrance is called Frapin 1270 or Creed Millesime Imperial Wink

Millesime Imperial is the only fragrance left in my collection along with Frapin 1270 that last less than 6 hours on my skin, and I still have in my collection.

Longevity also varies from person to person depending on skin chemistry and humidity level and the weather you have in the country you live in.

You asked me about YSL L'Homme Libre and why I sold it brand new almost.
Because the original YSL L'Homme is a far better composed fragrance, and Libre had a note in it that reminded me of a note in my Gucci Pour Homme II, that I just hate and consequently I sold both bottles almost 98% full 100 ml versions.

If you want some safe fragrances to try, that works both for the office and night out, try any of these:

1. Creed Aventus
2. Creed Original Santal
3. Bond no. 9 Blleker Street
4. Bond no. 9 Chez Bond
5. Chanel Platinum Egoiste
6. Kiton Men
7. Victor & Rolf Antidote
8. Dolce & Gabbana The One (The One Sport sucks IMHO)
9. Lacoste Pour Homme
10. Dior Homme Sport
11. Dior Homme (Dior Homme Intense is great too but more heavy)
12. Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain EDT (EDP is great too, but more heavy)
13. Arran Bay Citrus
14. Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Homme
15. Mugler Cologne or Creed Orignal Vetiver (they are pretty close, not identical but close)
16. Mont Blanc Legend
17. Armani Code Sport (solid 'Sport' scent with mint added)
18. Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme
19. Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense
20. Bleu de Chanel

All these frags are on the mid to lighter side, not heavy thick scents.....a good deal of average men and women will find them quite pleasing.
Once you go into niche frags like Amouage, Montale, Tom Ford Private Nlend the frags gets more heavy and often better suited for winter weather and a bit more advanced noses......

With that said a frag like Amouage Reflection Man might be right down your alley, since you like JPG Le Male. Amouage Reflection Man is a better composed version of Le Male, but also 4 times more expensive.
My favorite night out frag is a blend of Amouage Reflection Man 2 sprays, and YSL Kouros 1 spray - get tons of compliments when I wear that blend Biggrin

Tom Ford PB has some really solid frags, but all are pretty heavy or have notes in them that are not for everyone's taste.......
The 20 frags I listed are all to a great extent solid basic people crowd pleasers.

Hope you can use my advice, but the best advice still is this:

SAMPLE, SAMPLE, SAMPLE, TEST, TEST, TEST, SAMPLE !

22 5,070
 01-07-2013, 05:05 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
Thank you very much, Claus. That was just about as well written and thought out of a response as one could have hoped for.

I'm going to take your advice and go online right now to a website I found and place an order for 10 or so other fragrances to see if I can find something that I really love.

13 599
 01-08-2013, 09:21 AM
User Info
Also, I recommend Basenotes as an excellent forum for discussing fragrances. I've gotten a lot of good suggestions from there.

The only downside is that Claus is there... just kidding Tongue

12 1,243
 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
(01-08-2013, 09:21 AM)insomniac Wrote: Also, I recommend Basenotes as an excellent forum for discussing fragrances. I've gotten a lot of good suggestions from there.

The only downside is that Claus is there... just kidding Tongue

I've been playing on there a LOT lately. Seeing Claus' for sale thread reminded me that I should post up here and get his opinion as well.

13 599
 01-13-2013, 11:38 AM
User Info
Acqua di Parma Classica

Scottish Fine Mens Grooming EdT

Two very manly, yet classic scents.

129 6,685
 01-19-2013, 10:26 AM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
Fragrances is very much a YMMV thing. I cannot wear anything from the department store save Dior Homme and Dior Homme Intense (these are very nighttime scents with a night out on the town with a lady).

Everything else you really just have to sample and find out.

I would check out a L'Occitane store to sample theirs. They are on the cheap side (<$50).

I really like their Vetiver (which really isn't a vetiver, but if you like DrH Windsor I think you'd like this one).

Others you just have to sample. And, when you think it comes time to buy - I would find someone that sells like 10-20 mL decants. Once you go down this path of a hobby, owning full bottles is kind of a waste IMHO - if you start owning 10 or more fragrances. You wear only 2-3, then yes owning a full bottle is the way to go. Start getting a lot, then start with decants and go from there.

11 185
 01-22-2013, 12:39 PM
User Info
i am a working class sort of guy with not a lot of bucks for after shave/colognes. but you know it doesn't have to cost alot to smell great. find what you like and get some samples. i like Clubman's, AV,Hoyt's is ok,Soul is good. just got try some and see what you and the missus likes.

0 189
 01-26-2013, 05:03 PM
User Info
For value, try Paradise by Alfred Sung. It's great and you can find it for 20 bucks.

If you want something for special occasions, try a real bottle of Green Irish Tweed from Creed (by real I mean make sure you aren't getting a knockoff). It will go over your $100 limit, but if you don't use it as an everyday wear, it will last a year and a half or more. Don't take it out longer than two years though, as the scent will wilt, as with any good scent. It's worth the money to me, and I'm broker than the ten commandments. It just smells distinguished.

On another note, have you ever tried mixing essential oils in with witch hazel and using it as an aftershave? May sound weird, but as it dries, the witch hazel smell will go away and leave the smell of the essential oils behind. Good way to experiment and come up with something that no one else has and that really works for you and your woman.

0 76