01-07-2013, 12:50 PM
User Info
I didn't know whether to put this here or in Complaints. Ultimately it isn't a complaint.

Maybe it'll help someone save a few dollars.

Last month Time/Warner cable instituted a modem rental fee; $3.95/month. They didn't have the courage to call it what it was, a fee increase. That sort of ticked me off, becasue their bought in bulk cable modem has long since paid for itself. Oh, and there was no "heads up" this will happen in a month. They just did it. One thing they did was that they suggested modems that would work with their system. I went on the prowl. I'd much rather own my own gear rather than pay a monthly fee.

Long story made short, I bought a Motorola SB 6121 from NewEgg. The installation was a snap. The hardest part snaking the power cable from the old modem out from the other cables. After a call to Tech Support at T/W, I was in business. The Tech, as he was looking things over from his end amde the comment, "Wow! Nice modem!". I asked if he could see what it was doing from his end and it turned out he commented based on what he was seeing.

OK, so I did a Roadrunner speed test. It almost doubled my download speed. It was a hair under 40mbps after the new modem and with the T/W modem it was near 18-19 mbps. Upload rates also increased.

At $3.95 per month the $80 modem will pay for itself in 20 months and I have a much faster internet, noticeably faster. A win/win for me.

32 6,308
 01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
  • roggen
  • SoJo, Utah
User Info
Yep, they all try to get us coming and going! I only allow things in my house that I own!

0 34
 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Brian, no surprise there. Thanks so much for the heads up. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM
User Info
Thanks for the heads up! I am going to look into this and see if it can work for Comcast. Between paying rental fees for 2 HD DVRs and the modem a good chunk of our bill is "rental fees".

5 938
 01-07-2013, 03:07 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Nothing like DIY and coming out ahead.

100 12,436
 01-07-2013, 03:44 PM
  • roggen
  • SoJo, Utah
User Info
(01-07-2013, 02:59 PM)BladeDE40 Wrote: Thanks for the heads up! I am going to look into this and see if it can work for Comcast. Between paying rental fees for 2 HD DVRs and the modem a good chunk of our bill is "rental fees".

I use comcast and have the same modem as above. Works like a champ. Cost me $60 I think.

0 34
 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I just recently did this as well, I also purchased the SB6121. Comcast has been charging for modem use for years, actually my service was originally Adelphia, and they charged me $2 per month. I didn't mind paying it honestly, it was cheap and if the modem got fried or I just wanted to upgrade to a more modern modem every year or two I could trade it in at the local office. However, Comcast took over and increased it to $3, $4 and now $7 and I had enough and ordered the SB6121.

One of the things that gripes my ass the most with cable companies is their equipment fees and taxes, yes the prices for their services are outrageous but I can handle that. It's when your bill is supposed to be say..$100 and you end up paying $120+ because they nickel and dime you to death with DVR fees, HD fees (seriously this day and age HD should be standard and not extra) and then a dozen different taxes on top of all that. I recently killed my cable tv and only have internet now and stream Netflix..I'm a month in and I don't really miss it.

31 1,510