01-07-2013, 04:35 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
This is a short review of the UFO Goliath handle, which was most generously provided by the talented Rafael in the form of a trial PIF for a few of us brothers of The Nook.Biggrin
The details can be found here.

Details
Model: Goliath
Material: 316L Stainless (Also available in Red Bronze, Brass and an XL version that is 100mm in length)
Weight: 103g
Length: 85mm
Diameter: 15mm

The first thing I would like to say is, once the handle arrived, I was a bit surprised with it's diameter. I know it's not the largest Rafael crafts, but it is still fairly beefy. I was actually a bit concerned I might not enjoy it, but those concerns were put to rest once I put it to work.
It is extremely comfortable in my large hands, it fit almost like it was specially fitted and crafted for me. I've used many handles over the last couple of years, this one by far is the most comfortable of them all and my other handles now feel anemic in comparison. The grip the knurling provides isn't your standard "grippy" type, when you feel the handle it's actually fairly smooth, but it still provides amazing non-slip properties. I purposefully got my hand very soapy just to test it out and it would not budge, even when I barely grasped the tip of the handle with only my thumb/index finger to do S to N strokes from my neck to jawline, it was almost like it was glued to my fingers. Also the heft is excellent, it felt wonderful on all 3 razors I paired it with (all of which fit perfectly and are shown below) it provides substantial weight but not too much...perfect.

I can't really say the Goliath magically improved the final shave quality of these razors for me, but it most definitely improved the overall experience. Simply put, in my opinion Rafael has created a masterpiece...and now I must have one! Love

Shave #1 - Paired with the Weber DLC
[Image: sqt6kw.jpg]

Shave #2 - Paired with the Weber Polished
[Image: 2z6hwdh.jpg]

Shave #3 - Paired with Fatip
[Image: 2r7wti9.jpg]

31 1,510
 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review Bryon, thank-you for sharing!

91 17,821
 01-07-2013, 04:46 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to getting my Goliaths.

183 12,002
 01-07-2013, 05:11 PM
User Info
Byron, great little review and the photos look great!
Rafael does make the most amazing handle!!

75 20,883
 01-07-2013, 05:18 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Excellent! Can't wait to try it!

88 4,233
 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Byron

Nice review and I love the look of the photos Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thank you for the review. I just ordered this handle, it will be my first UFO! Looks like I made a good choice.

45 3,955
 01-07-2013, 08:00 PM
User Info
Byron, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this great handle. It is a concise review and the pictures look fantastic!

Now I am even more impatient, awaiting the arrival of my Godzilla handle.

63 2,128
 01-08-2013, 06:32 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
That is a beautiful handle. Goes good with any head that will fit. Congratulations.

100 12,438
 01-08-2013, 12:24 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have been using this handle since I did received it ( more than a month ago) and I dont think that Im going to switch to another handle anytime soon.

Excellent review , Byron !

86 7,123
 01-08-2013, 10:01 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I'm excited about my turn...lol

5 1,151
 01-10-2013, 06:02 PM
User Info
Today I received the UFO Goliath from Byron for my week of trying it out. The package it comes in is well-engineered, and I almost didn't figure out how to open it! Nicely done, Rafael. I won't take the time to repeat Byron's detailed description. I really like big handles, and this is no disappointment. I have six 2-piece razor heads and the handle easily attaches to all of them. Over the next 6 days, I'm going to use each head on the UFO Goliath. When I finish, I'll mail it to the next person in line, and then I'll post a short discussion of my experiences with all of the heads as they get to demonstrate their shaving tendencies with the help of this gorgeous razor handle. Just for reference, I took a picture of my other big handles alongside the UFO Goliath, as you can see from the photo below. I also took a picture of the 6 razor heads that I'm going to use. Sorry I forgot what kind one of them is, I'm sure someone will recognize it.

[attachment=10516]

[attachment=10517]

24 1,150
 01-11-2013, 12:30 PM
User Info
Got mine from Juan yesterday afternoon just before my shave.Biggrin What I had intended was to pair it with one of my iKon OC heads, and wow was that a hit. As Teiste has been using his exclusively now for sometime, I may be as well.

I can't say enough how much I like it's girth and the workmanship.

[Image: Goliath.jpg]

2 546
 01-12-2013, 01:36 PM
User Info
Bob describes the most notable qualities of the Goliath as girth and workmanship. That's a great choice of words that apply to this handle. I like the heft of the SS also. This is day 2 of my 7 head trial period before it's off to Steve.

24 1,150
 01-12-2013, 02:27 PM
User Info
(01-12-2013, 01:36 PM)brothers Wrote: Bob describes the most notable qualities of the Goliath as girth and workmanship. That's a great choice of words that apply to this handle. I like the heft of the SS also. This is day 2 of my 7 head trial period before it's off to Steve.

Absolutely Gary. It all comes together nicely.

2 546
 01-12-2013, 08:53 PM
User Info
Thanks to the UFO Goliath, I've made a valuable discovery. Initially, I was going to use the Goliath with my 6 pretty chrome heads from various razors, shown in the photo I posted. After I made that plan, I was thinking about the Muhle R41 Toothcomb, and how the amount of blade exposure provides some of the closest and smoothest shaves. Wondering whether the Goliath handle would have any effect.

Then I remembered my own late father's old 1939 Gillette Tech with the triangular holes in the head plate used to cut my dad and also it cut me when I used it, almost a guaranteed occurrence. I had struggled with that since I most recently tried to use it starting about 4 years ago, and had given it up "permenently" because I decided it was defective in design.

In support of my theory, I often referred to the commonly known fact that Gillette itself redesigned the head only a year or two after it was introduced, and it has been deemed truly mild ever since.

I asked myself: What if the blade exposure of the old Tech is similar to the blade exposure of the Muhle that many guys find too aggressive and prone to cuts and nicks all too often? On the first day of the Goliath's 7 day tryout, I bypassed all of the pretty chrome heads and used my dad's old Tech again for the first time in years.

I used care to hold the blade to the angle that I use with the Muhle R41, and which seems to give great shaves with no cuts or nicks. I am happy to say it worked!

Today, I resolutely returned to my previous plan and dutifully used one of the other heads, the shave was just as expected, and the only change and improvement was the way the big Goliath felt in my hand. The shave didn't change, buy my plan did. I'm not using the 6 pretty heads for the rest of the week, I'm only going to use my Tech.

If, after almost a week of using it with the Goliath, I'll know whether the Goliath will be the catalyst that made me realize how special the old Tech razor might be. It's possible that Gillette had the Tech matched up with a handle that wasn't physically proper for the maximum efficiency of the original head design from 1939.

I've already done the research on Rafael's website in anticipation of buying my own Goliath to use exclusively with my dad's old razor. In the process, I'll have another unique razor I can use in rotation with the straights, the Cobra, the Barbasol, and the Muhle. It might even replace the Muhle if I like it better, which might just be possible. I'm looking forward to the next few days.

24 1,150
 01-12-2013, 10:49 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Gary, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your experiences...

91 17,821
 01-12-2013, 11:01 PM
User Info
These reviews and pictures are great. I look forward to the continued updates.

63 2,128
 01-13-2013, 06:46 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Shave gear eye candy. Congratulations and use them well.

100 12,438
 01-13-2013, 10:45 AM
User Info
This morning's shave with the Goliath/'39 Gillette Tech combo went quite well. I'm pretty close to deciding to get the regular length SS Goliath because the razor seems to be quite beautifully proportioned. (See photos below)

I did make another discovery this morning. I have been thinking in terms of the Muhle R41, but that's not the razor I should be comparing it to. The one I should be comparing it to is the Barbasol floating head that is quite similar in terms of blade exposure and head design.

The Barbasol gives me the best shaves of any DE razor I've ever experienced. Best of all, it doesn't have the almost raw harshness of the Muhle R41 Toothcomb DE. That absence of harshness is what I noticed about the Tech this morning, and that is what got me thinking about the Barbasol. I really think the Goliath and the Tech are a perfect match. See what you think. Here are those photos I promised.

[attachment=10660]
[attachment=10661]
[attachment=10662]
[attachment=10663]

24 1,150