01-07-2013, 05:32 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Thanks to ndwolfe81 I now own my second Simpsons shaving brush, a Berkeley 46 Best Badger bought from here. I hadn't intended to own this brush as I already have something similar, a Simpsons Case Best Badger, but in the end I simply couldn't resist owning another Simpsons for $40.

Before giving my impressions on the Berkeley 46, you may first wish to read Teiste's review and vferdman review on this shaving brush.

Berkeley 46 spec's: Height: 87mm / Loft: 44mm / Base: 43mm / Knot: 20mm

[Image: A8mEA.jpg]

2013-01-03: Simpsons "Berkeley 46" Best Badger shaving brush

[Image: Yv34a.jpg]

2013-01-03: (L to R) Simpsons Berkeley 46, Simpsons Case

As you can see from the above photo the Berkeley 46 is a touch bigger all around compared to the Case, and personally I think the handle is more pleasing to look at.

My thoughts on the Case can be read here, and while I think it's a great small brush, I can honestly say I slightly prefer the Berkeley 46, let me explain...

The Berkeley 46 at only 5mm taller overall (handle accounts for 1mm and the loft 4mm) means those two brushes are very similar (see above photo), at least in my eyes, but the slightly larger size of the Berkeley 46 means it's able to perform equally or even slightly better in all departments as far as I'm concerned (within my personal preferences).

To date I've whipped up two test palm lathers with the Berkeley 46 and used it out in wild four times...
  • Picks up shaving cream/soap without a problem, then goes on with ease to build up a thick, slick lather.
  • Just like the knot found in the Case, the knot in the Berkeley 46 holds an incredible amount of lather for such a "small" knot.
  • I really do like Simpsons Best Badger hair and believe it's top quality stuff, factor in Simpsons tie very nice knots that aren't lacking in hair density -- all of which translates into knots that generally perform from (very) good to exceptional.
  • When painting strokes are used to build up and apply lather the knot feels slightly softer than the Case, no doubt due to the higher loft height and greater hair flex.
  • When circular motions are used to build up and apply lather the knot exhibits a tiny bit of scritch (definitely more scrub than scritch), but less than the amount found with the Case, again no doubt due to the higher loft height and greater hair flex.
  • Flow through is slightly better, once again no doubt due to the higher loft height ie hairs are able to flex a little more.
  • While I prefer the overall look of the handle (compared to the Case), it still doesn't completely resolve the problem I have with the Case handle. I do find it more comfortable to hold, but I can't say it's extremely comfortable and finding a comfortable grip doesn't feel natural -- while I do find Rooney Style 1 (even in Size 1) extremely comfortable to hold, see below photo.
  • The overall build quality of Simpsons brushes are first class, even in their "cheaper" brushes like the Berkeley 46 and Case.
[Image: pBAdm.jpg]

2013-01-03: (L to R) Taylor of Old Bond Street RT1S, Simpsons Berkeley 46, Simpsons Case

Wrapping up I think both the Berkeley 46 and Case are excellent "cheaper" Simpsons brushes and offer good value for anyone wishing to experience, try, a Simpsons -- especially for those that face lather, but if I had to choose between the two I would give the nod to the Berkeley 46 as I feel it slightly outperforms the Case on a number of points.

[Image: dy9MH.jpg]

2013-01-07: Simpsons "Berkely 46" Best Badger shaving brush (post bloom)

[Image: VJDs8.jpg]

2013-01-07: Simpsons "Berkely 46" Best Badger shaving brush (post bloom)

Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for the review. That's a nice little brush for $40.

45 3,955
 01-07-2013, 05:45 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Mike. My comparable Simpsons are older Somerset versions, but I like them too.

199 12,108
 01-07-2013, 07:45 PM
User Info
Good review. Thanks.

I've wondered about the 46 for quite some time.

32 6,374
 01-08-2013, 10:57 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Mike , that is a very serious review , my friend.Excellent !

The 46 Berkeley have been the only Simpson brush I have tried and didn't satisfied me at all : it was very scratchy and no backbone or whatsoever.Yours seems to be what a truly Simpson brush should be and , maybe , one of those days , when my boar brush fever is over , I should consider to test another 46 and compare it with the old one.

86 7,198
 01-08-2013, 11:21 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-08-2013, 10:57 AM)Teiste Wrote: Mike , that is a very serious review , my friend.Excellent !

The 46 Berkeley have been the only Simpson brush I have tried and didn't satisfied me at all : it was very scratchy and no backbone or whatsoever.Yours seems to be what a truly Simpson brush should be and , maybe , one of those days , when my boar brush fever is over , I should consider to test another 46 and compare it with the old one.

Hi Teiste

Thank you Smile

I would be happy to send you my Berkeley 46 for testing, plus it would be interesting to hear (and compare) your thoughts on the brush reviewed above...

Just give me a shout if, when, you would like to give the Berkeley 46 another try.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-08-2013, 11:28 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(01-08-2013, 11:21 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(01-08-2013, 10:57 AM)Teiste Wrote: Mike , that is a very serious review , my friend.Excellent !

Hi Teiste

Thank you Smile

I would be happy to send you my Berkeley 46 for testing, plus it would be interesting to hear (and compare) your thoughts on the brush reviewed above...

Just give me a shout if, when, you would like to give the Berkeley 46 another try.

Take care, Mike

Sounds good to me , my friend , and Ill send you a pm soon , to see what brushes we can swap.

86 7,198
 01-08-2013, 09:34 PM
User Info
Mike, great review and enjoy the brush!

82 21,002
 01-08-2013, 09:58 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I just got my first Simpson brush. I was really impressed with the quality, too.

Enjoy the brush, it looks sweet.

10 1,858