01-07-2013, 05:47 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I got some Tabula Rasa Bergamot Coriander in a trade and wanted to give my impressions of it here for you all.

I've shaved with it it 3 times since recieving it and the lather is fantastic! I got a version that had some water already mixed into it and it makes a huge diffence over the unmixed variety. I have the Tea scented version that is unmixed and it takes alot of work for get it to lather correctly, but this mixed version lathers easily.

First Shave:
I used my Simpson's Case as the first brush and scooped out a pea sized amount and loaded the brush. I hot dipped the brush twice and shook it softly then went straight to my face to lather. It took another dip I had almost perfect lather. I swirl the brush, and then "paint" it on at the end. I got three very smooth passes from it and was very impressed with the quality of the lather.

Second Shave:
I used my FS custom in Machurian White as the second brush. It is a bit larger at 24/52 so I used a slightly larger amount of cream this time. I pretty much got the same results without having to dip the brush at all. The lather exploded off the brush and even dripped off my face into the sink.

Third Shave:
I used my Muhle Synthetic HJM brush this time and the lather was just a bit more laborius to make but not HARD at all. I used a pea sized amount and and dipped it a few times and got the lather building and then needed two more dips for lather of my preferred consistency.

Burn Test:
I did a burn test to see if leaving the lather on my face for 5 minutes to would cause burning and for me it passed as I only felt a slight twinge, and nothing more. Also, the lather would have been shaveable even after 5 minutes on my face, which is noteworthy.

Scent:
The scent is interesting. I do not "sense" the Bergamot fruit at all, and the Coriander is sublime. There is complexity to the fragrance and for lack of a better description distinctly smells German. The scent is something like old formulation Speick and Haslinger Sage Shave Soap mixed with a little Lavandin or Lavender, if you can picture that. It is herbacious, but not earthy, it is citrusy, but not sour, more of the peel essence and true coriander leaf that one would use in cooking. It somehow reminded me of the herbs I use when baking salmon - Lemon Peel, Coriander, Rosemary, and salt. It is a fresh scent, though not sporty. It is not a longlasting scent, and I could not smell it after application of my German Nivea ASB.

I would have liked it more if it was a bit sweeter, or more sour/citrusy, but it is acceptable as is due to the complexity.

Overall:
I had a very pleasant experience overall. I had to learn the water ratio for each type of brush that I used but no more than with any other type of cream. The slickness made using my Merkur Slant with Feather blade a breeze. I also shaved with my Feather straight with perfect results. I'd say that whover mixed this did a stupendous job as there were no pockets or unmixed areas at all and appears to consistent throughout.

I'm not sure that I would buy this for the scent alone, but would for the lather alone. This is an excellent cream! I did find myself "going back" to sniff the container on numerous occasions, so that tells me some part of me likes the scent. It definitely is not my preferred scent, though. I was lured in by the "Bergamot" in the label, Biggrin.

I would say that if you can get a sample, go for it, but at $30 + for a full tub you may want to wait. If all you want is a croap that makes wonderful lather and ranks up with the English creams then do buy it as it definite does stand toe to toe with the 3T's. Had it smelled more like the label insinuates I would have recommended it wholeheartedly, but in MY case it falls short. I like a well rounded cream, which includes lather, slickness, and SCENT.

Overall it gets a 8 out of 10, due to the lack of citrus, but it performs at a 9 out of 10.

Thanks for your comments and cheers to all!

Matt

68 1,416
 01-07-2013, 05:53 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review Matt! Reminds me I recently picked up some Tabula Rasa too, I must try it!

91 17,794
 01-08-2013, 01:03 AM
User Info
Coincidentally I am the vetiver/tangerine Tabula Rasa for the past week shaves and coming 2 weeks.

I like to use a product for at least 10 to 15 shaves to learn it's features and properties.

To assess it and see if I like it or not and to be able to contribute positively to discussions.

I find it less slick than I Coloniali & TF&H soaps.

I've used it for 4 or 5 shaves I think.

I may need to add more water to get it to be slicker though. Will try adding a bit more water to today's shave.

0 193
 01-08-2013, 05:27 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I used the Tabula Rasa Vetiver & Tangerine today and thoroughly enjoyed a very thick lather with lots of cushion.

91 17,794
 01-08-2013, 07:45 AM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(01-08-2013, 01:03 AM)hedonist222 Wrote: I may need to add more water to get it to be slicker though. Will try adding a bit more water to today's shave.

I think this is what you should try, I get great lather from this cream. A whole lot better compared to what I've gotten with i coloniali.

10 1,120
 01-08-2013, 08:21 AM
User Info
(01-08-2013, 07:45 AM)MickToley Wrote:
(01-08-2013, 01:03 AM)hedonist222 Wrote: I may need to add more water to get it to be slicker though. Will try adding a bit more water to today's shave.

I think this is what you should try, I get great lather from this cream. A whole lot better compared to what I've gotten with i coloniali.

I did that with this afternoon's shave.
I did a quick dip of the brush in a mug then shook it to get out the excess. Three dips was better than yesterday's later. Yesterday tye other half of my face dried by the time I got to it.

0 193
 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM
User Info
Matt, great to see you are enjoying the croap/cream.

75 20,883
 01-08-2013, 10:13 AM
  • MickToley
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(01-08-2013, 08:21 AM)hedonist222 Wrote: I did that with this afternoon's shave.
I did a quick dip of the brush in a mug then shook it to get out the excess. Three dips was better than yesterday's later. Yesterday tye other half of my face dried by the time I got to it.

Just keep experimenting with it, you'll be sure to get a nice lather.

10 1,120
 01-08-2013, 01:07 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
this morning's shave was less forgiving than my previous shaves, but that could have been blade choice. I shaved with a Russian Personna and had a tough go at it...

I think I may have added a water dip too much to this morning's shave, and got a rough shave...of course it could just be that the blade was not the best for me, too...That's the trouble with a new cream/soap AND a new blade Shy

Anyhow...I'll try again tomorrow...Have a new M&F brush coming and I can't wait for that!

Cheers!

68 1,416
 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM
  • MickToley
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(01-08-2013, 01:07 PM)Crag Wrote: this morning's shave was less forgiving than my previous shaves, but that could have been blade choice. I shaved with a Russian Personna and had a tough go at it...

I think I may have added a water dip too much to this morning's shave, and got a rough shave...of course it could just be that the blade was not the best for me, too...That's the trouble with a new cream/soap AND a new blade Shy

Anyhow...I'll try again tomorrow...Have a new M&F brush coming and I can't wait for that!

Cheers!

Good luck, I'll check back tomorrow to see how it went.

10 1,120
 01-08-2013, 06:37 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I have a tub of the Violet.. What a chore to lather. I know they have a video on their website on how to approach lathering their products. I love the scent and when the planets align it lathers well.. But the work:result ratio is off for me..

33 914
 01-09-2013, 11:36 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Quote:First Thought - Tabula Rasa - Coriander Bergamot
I have a tub of the Violet.. What a chore to lather. I know they have a video on their website on how to approach lathering their products. I love the scent and when the planets align it lathers well.. But the work:result ratio is off for me..

Yes. I agree that the unmixed product is a pain to use, but this mixed product that I have is a VERY fine lathering product. Someone...I wish I knew who...Mixed some distilled water into the product and made it a wonderful Cream, more than a croap as it comes.

This mornings shave with my usual blade resulted in a DFS. I used my Matador Open Comb with an ASTRA SP blade and my 24mm FS 2-band Manchurian. It was a great lather and the shave was fantastic! I didn't need to dip it at all...I just used the moisture in the brush after three fairly hard shakes and water on my face to create the lather and I got mounds of it.

Cheers!

68 1,416